New CFA System??

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
How would you guys like to have fight night bonuses handed out following every show? I'm not talking about theoretical Fight of the Night and Performance of the Night awards. I'm talking about cold, hard cash in your bank account? Does that get some movement going in your pants? It should!

Bruce-Lee-EA-SPORTS-UFC-3.jpg

The new system that I am proposing will allow us to accomplish exactly that. Pay out winners of Fight of the Night and two (2) Performance of the Night winners. These would all be voted on by your peers. So it would be transparent and no favoritism. It would also pretty much end any chance at cheese or spamming as it would be highly unlikely that someone (much less a majority) would vote to award someone who displayed those tactics. This would also allow the users who may not be that great at the game at least a shot at a bonus money every event if they put on a good show. You with me?

Here is how it would work:

Every manager (user) would buy in for $5 (sent via PayPal). That $5 would give you the right to three (3) fighters (one from each weight class). That is the base level membership and is easily affordable by a vast majority of people (if you are currently in the league and honestly cannot manage it, send me a PM and we can work something out).

Each fighter comes with a 5-fight, 5-week contract. That means you can fight him up to five times in a five week span. However, if you only fight once per week, you may not be able to get him his full five fights depending on user availability. If you fight every show, you will also likely use up your five fights before the five week period is up.

So how do we decide who gets which fighter? Great question! Let me explain:

Every fighter in each of the three weight classes that we use will be open to a bidding process. We will start the bid at $1 (the bid amounts are in addition to your $5 buy in). I will open a thread for each weight class and give everyone 48 hours to bid on fighters in that weight class. To prevent "sniping" (bidding at the last minute so nobody can outbid you) there will be 30 minutes added to any bid made in the last hour of the bid process.

For example: Let's say that the Light Heavyweight bidding is ending at 11 PM CST on Thursday. However, User A bids on Fighter x at 10:15 PM. The bidding would add 30 minutes and now close at 11:30 PM. Let's say that User B then comes in and outbids User A at 11:15 PM. Another 30 minutes would be added ending the bidding at 12 midnight. This process would continue until the bidding has stopped or the time has expired (including any 30 minute extensions added).

So what happens if I can only pay the $5? Another great question!

You are still guaranteed three fighters (one from each weight class). After all of the bidding has stopped and I have sorted through the bids and awarded all won fighters, the remaining fighters will be up for grabs on a first come, first served basis (I'll give you guys some kind of heads up so you have a general idea of when to get on). These fighters could be good fighters (if not a lot of fighters were bid on) or they could be very average fighters (if a high number of fighters were bid on). You are guaranteed three fighters and are perfectly able to compete with just a $5 investment. However, you may want to at least consider bidding a few dollars on a fighter or two in case nobody else claims them.

What happens if I am outbid?

You just post another bid. Or, if you do not feel you want to bid more for that fighters, you can just wait and select a fighter from the list of remaining fighters after the bidding is over (or place a bid on a new fighter). If you do not win a fighter, you are not required to pay for your bid. Only winning bids of fighters will need to be paid.

How will the money from the bids be distributed?

80% of all bids collected will go directly back into the league via Fight and Performance of the Night bonuses. The other 20% will go back into the site (to pay for software, servers, upgrades, etc). Of that 80%, it will then be split up into 10 events (two per week for five weeks). That amount will then be divided by four (to pay two fight of the night winners and two performance of the night winners).

Example:

10 users pay $5 ($50 total) + $200 collected from bidding (could be more or less) = $250 - 20% = $200
$200 / 10 (events) = $20 per event / 4 (of the night bonuses) = $5 per bonus

In this scenario, each user would be eligible to win up to $15 per event (1 FOTN and 2 POTN bonuses), $150 per season ($15 x 10 events) and $1,500 per year ($150 per season x 10 seasons per year). This gives everyone a shot at something at every event and earning money overall. Don't think you are good enough to win a title? No problem! Put on entertaining fights and win bonus money! All with an investment as small or as large as you like!

After every 5 week period, we will reset and do the process over. The cool thing is, the fighter records and rankings will carry over. So, say Fighter X went 5-0 and won a title belt in Season 1. He will still be 5-0 and have the title belt when we begin Season 2, even if he is owned by a new manager. This also gives guys an opportunity to fight for and defends belts that they may not have been able to win with previous fighters.

So maj, in this scenario, you're getting $50. What gives?

You're right, in that scenario, I would get $50 which would be divided by 5 weeks. So, essentially, I would get $10 a week for the 2-4 hours I spend per event (4-8 hours total) making the cards, updating the rankings and creating graphics and then another two hours doing the broadcast (and play-by-play :p) So, for 8-12 hours that I put into the league each week, I would get $10. Sounds fair :)

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully, we can start this process ASAP and have the first card for Season 1 set up for next Sunday (September 14).

Last edited:

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
We'll see what everyone else says but the early polling I did seemed to indicate a majority would be in favor of it.

woodsmall12

All-Star
I'd be down ... It's inexpensive and allows me more control over who I get ... I have a chance at fighting w my favorite fighters instead of getting shafted in the draft

iTvizzyy

Starter
I'm not a fan of the 5 fight contract.. Too short considering were gonna pay for our guy. I like the idea though. Maybe 10 fight contract?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
10 fights it's awfully long. That would have to be 10 weeks. We've never gotten past 6 or 7 fights with guys and that's rare. They get old after awhile. Its not like madden when u can get free agents, make trades and draft. Plus, the biggest thing to me is having incentives for guys that aren't the top 3 or 4. And having a checks and balance system for making sure guys are spamming or cheesing. Not that it's an issue right now, but if we add more guys...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I used the $200 deal bc it was easy to break down. Outside of maybe 10 guys, I don't think there's gonna be a ton of bidding. So ur $5 every 5 weeks isn't that much and ul still have the same guys ur already working with dbz :p I would think most guys get pretty close to breaking even. Kinda hard to go 15 fights (between 3 fighters) and not win one bonus.

Look at it this way. Me, pack and dbz have already contemplated quitting bc we aren't title contenders. Woody rarely fights after going 0-6 one event. Prolly another guy or two that might feel that way. So what's the incentive for those of us in the middle of the pack serving as punching bags for the top 3 or 4?

Also, I'd bring gilgamesh back and jaime if he wanted. Everything would be self policed by the league and we'd have way more interesting fights at the top.

I want the league to succeed but unless we get more competition at the top and more incentive for us punching bags, I'm not sure what the long term prognosis is...

DarkParadox21

The peoples champ.
good idea but just not for me personally but gotta do whats best for the league so if this gets people wanting to fight than go for it.

My problem is that I really don't make much money personally so it comes down to using my girls money to pay for this and she won't go for this I have already talked to her it's a great idea and will work but I personally can't do it I thought I could but after talking to her I can't like I said it's her money not mine

Last edited:
Crazy part is and I have explained this to my girl I have the most "of the night awards" in the league if I'm not mistaken I have won fight of the night 2-3 times and knock out of the night twice

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Y'all have no foresight lol. We'll go with CFA 16 and 17, get a couple title fights and let it marinate.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I'm just having a hard time justifying spending all of this time into a league that I spent about $100 advertising and I'm not that competitive in. I'm just looking for a way to get more guys interested.

I feel like I've created a great thing that we all enjoy but, outside of Dark, I'm doing everything. There's not a lot that guys can do to help with production so I figured a small monetary investment that you could potentially earn back would be reasonable.

Would you guys rather just fold up shop?