initial top 25

mycaddy

Starter
That defense shut out Texas A&M, one of the most prolific spread offenses in the country. They also beat Auburn and Ole Miss... And they have a Top 5 recruiting class every year.

Plus, I also heard about a school with questions at quarterback last year. I think they beat Alabama and Oregon to win the National Championship. Oh wait, that was Ohio State :p

I think you were reading my mind...

mycaddy

Starter
I will say this. I generally judge by what I see... I honestly did not see Bama play much they beat Michigan a few years ago I watched that game I also watched OSU beat them last year in the playoffs... I also know they lost to A & M which was one of the best spread offenses in the country and they shut them out... But I can;t speak on them this year... I do know they had a top 5 recruiting class as majesty95 mentioned and won the SEC last year... Maybe you are right and last year is not a few years ago but maybe they will fall off drastically and not do well this year... considering they are in the SEC I honestly don't care what they do unless they make it to the playoffs and play a big 10 team then I will watch them... But honestly I hope you are right because I don't like Bama at all... But I do not like any team in the SEC except for Georgia (speanding a lot of time in Atlanta will do that to you)

visionz813

Starter
But you are entitled to your opinion you don't like the big 10 you think they suck even though they won the NC last year after beating a SEC team to make it to the NC game... You think the SEC is the best conference and the team that won that conference and has multiple NCs in recent history is overrated and if that is your opinion I respect that is disagree on both counts... We will see what happens this year on all counts

The SEC has easily the most talent in college football top to bottom.

mycaddy

Starter
They had 1 loss that year lots of teams have played for the NC with one loss and LSU has won the NC (I believe twice) with 2 losses

mycaddy

Starter
ok and the fact they had 1 loss 2 years ago and was undefeated the year before that.. last year OSU would not have been able to even play for the NC and ppl would be saying they are in the big 10 and dont deserve to be there but they did get in and beat a team from the SEC with 1 loss. So are you sure about that?

mycaddy

Starter
It is a matter of perception... I think the Big 10 gets a bad rap... They finally get a chance to play for the NC and win it... That is not perception that is reality and also because of perception they would not have had the change to play and the percetion would still prevail... Top to bottom SEC is better no doubt... but quality teams exist in the Big 10 and Pac-10 and Big 12 Those are the top 4 conferences in college football. Had there been a playoff in place 10 years ago SEC would not have so many NCs in a row (I cant recall the number off the top of my head but I think it was 8 staight) They seemed dominate but a lot of that was perception so they were always put there and lack of letting others in... and the reason why I felt it should be a playoffs I actually think it should be 6 teams... top 2 get a bye. and the bs about they are students and that would take to long basketball playoffs in college takes 3 weeks and so would a 6 team playoff in football...

mycaddy

Starter
Frankly out of 120 division 1 teams letting 6 compete for a championship is still pushing it no where in sports amatuer or pro do you have such a low percentage of teams that have a chance to compete for a championship and the ranking are to subjective for it to be that way

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Football is different that other sports though. That's a lot of wear and tear adding 3 games after the 13 they play already. But I guess it gets them ready for the NFL. Lol. Personally, I wouldn't want to see more than 6. I'm not interested in a huge CFB tournament. I like the bowls (although there are too many) and just the very top teams competing for a title. The longer a tourney, the more chance the top team has an off day and gets upset. Not really interested in seeing an 8 seed or worse win a title bc they got hot at the right time.

Last edited:

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I'm not a fan of adding teams to the playoff the most I would even consider is 6 and I don't think I have want that many.

The beauty of college football is every game matters and if you lose one game (less now with the 4 team playoff) you are likely out of the national title race. If a team goes undeafted they shouldn't have to play a 2 or 3 loss team in the first round of the playoffs.

On my point from last night when Alabama losses multiple games to teams with spread offense/mobile QBs this year. Then you can remember that georgiafan told you it was gonna happen.

visionz813

Starter
Honestly it depends on the schedule. If a team is undefeated and had a soft schedule they may not even be as good as the record shows.

mycaddy

Starter
I'm not a fan of adding teams to the playoff the most I would even consider is 6 and I don't think I have want that many.

The beauty of college football is every game matters and if you lose one game (less now with the 4 team playoff) you are likely out of the national title race. If a team goes undeafted they shouldn't have to play a 2 or 3 loss team in the first round of the playoffs.

On my point from last night when Alabama losses multiple games to teams with spread offense/mobile QBs this year. Then you can remember that georgiafan told you it was gonna happen.

I am not a fan of putting in a 2 or 3 loss team... So we are in agreement there but I think a few years back when Boise went undefeated and I am not checking so dont kill me if I am wrong but I think they only lost 1 game over 3 seasons or maybe there had 2 losses over 3 seasons or something like that I think they should have had a shot at the NC... I think going to 6 would help more teams like that or a team like OSU last year that would not have been there. But If I were voted (which I am not) I think it should be 6 but I would not be mad at 8 but I do think it should be more than 4 and 6 would be perfect top 2 team get the advantage of a 1st round bye

mycaddy

Starter
Football is different that other sports though. That's a lot of wear and tear adding 3 games after the 13 they play already. But I guess it gets them ready for the NFL. Lol. Personally, I wouldn't want to see more than 6. I'm not interested in a huge CFB tournament. I like the bowls (although there are too many) and just the very, cry top teams competing for a title. The longer a tourney, the more chance the top team has an off day and gets upset. Not really interested in seeing an 8 seed or worse win a title bc they got hot at the right time.

Yes football is totally different but that is why they only play 12-14 games instead say 30-37 in basketball. and why I am in favor of 6 in a tourny instead of 65 like in basketball (btw 65 is way to many the bottom half have absolutely no shot they need to cut it in half)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Yes football is totally different but that is why they only play 12-14 games instead say 30-37 in basketball. and why I am in favor of 6 in a tourny instead of 65 like in basketball (btw 65 is way to many the bottom half have absolutely no shot they need to cut it in half)

Unfortunately, they are just going to keep adding more. I see 72 and maybe even 76 in the future. There's just too much money involved. And, despite what they try to say to avoid paying players, its all about the money. Amateurism is a distant memory. The NCAA did that to themsleves and there's no going back now :(

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I think strength of schedule has to play into who makes the playoff so that's why I never thought Boise deserved it during that few year stretch

That's what people don't take the time to realize is by adding teams to the playoffs it waters down who has a chance to win a national title. Most Fans and coaches like it because it increases the chances of there making the playoffs.

mycaddy

Starter
I think strength of schedule has to play into who makes the playoff so that's why I never thought Boise deserved it during that few year stretch

That's what people don't take the time to realize is by adding teams to the playoffs it waters down who has a chance to win a national title. Most Fans and coaches like it because it increases the chances of there making the playoffs.

But my thing is this if you remember Boise beat Oklahoma (who many thought that year should be playing for a NC) No one beat them and to say they dont desrve a shot I think is crazy as you said every game counts. anyone can lose on any given day... the best team does not always win and I know that sounds crazy but that is why on a pro level it was 1972 the last time you seen a pro team go undefeated in any major pro sport in the US... I wasnt even born then (and I am pretty old)

mycaddy

Starter
Unfortunately, they are just going to keep adding more. I see 72 and maybe even 76 in the future. There's just too much money involved. And, despite what they try to say to avoid paying players, its all about the money. Amateurism is a distant memory. The NCAA did that to themsleves and there's no going back now :(

I have always found that system funny. WHen I played in college I realized the money coming in and was thinking they say we should not get paid... My likeness was in a video game and I had no compensation and although I never complained like the noise that is being brought up I thought it was crazy... School literally makes money inthe 10s of millions to get to a bowl game to say the players that are making this possible only deserve tuition if they are lucky enough to get a scholorship (remember not all of them are on scholarship) and a few free meals (and those meals are not that good)is ridiculous but to go to 70+ teams I think is crazy... especially when maybe only the top 20 have a real chance at winning

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I don't know how much faith you can really put into bowl game results and I hope I'm able to make sense. But I think we are on the same page when you the best team doesn't always win. A lot of teams for bowl games just don't come out to play for a number of reasons. Then you have teams usually the underdogs that are out to prove something and go all out110%. It's why I have made a killing going with underdogs in BCS bowl games in recent years.