**IMPORTANT** Rule Change - Goal line/QB Sneaks

Imperfect611

Starter
I am going to step back because honestly we can't know anything until this change goes through. Sorry, I didn't fully read the FB dive rule. Stats are kinda random without sources so I am just going to play with this and get some stats to see if this is even worth and argument.

Imperfect611

Starter
Dues21

I am a little confused about what your trying to say

I think it had something to do with my point where if you eliminate an option for the offense to call, you also eliminate and option the defense must be prepared for. Once again though this change could go the other way and force users to open up their playcalling more. I think we need to see how (since it will be playoffs) the top tier talent handles it.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
They are still a lot more ways to move the ball on 3rd and 1 so picking up a 1st down isn't going to be a problem. The majority of teams never called these plays and a few others that did never called them every game.

If your on defense your still prob going to play the inside run and stop it. Now the user has to be thought into the play and not take the automatic 1st down.

For now you can still get your 1 "automatic 1st down" if you want to with a FB dive. But that is something that I always roll my eyes when I see people use it because its a easy way out.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
My question is this. Why build a scheme around dangerous plays such as the toss if u can only call those plays 2 times a game. That takes ur opponent (the enemy) out of there game plan cuz they scared. That's what a scheme does. Make no mistake about it, this is war! That's not cheese that's limiting plays cuz u can't stop them. Now calling fb dive when ever on the field is stupid and easy yards. But why not in the red zone on 3 or 4th? No matter the situation. People have to think for them selves. I mean if u got a good scheme in the Iform and they think the dive is coming and totally blow it! Thats on the user. I know I'm new and haven't played a game yet. But I am paying 2.99 so consider that my 2cents.

You can call FB Dive on 3rd or 4th.

The need to run more than two tosses per game generally points to someone that wants to exploit the poor outside contain in the game than a person who is thinking things through on a high level. Don't use a toss until the 3rd and leave one for late in the game and you always have the defense thinking. If someone has to use their two tosses early in the game to convert or score, then they take that away later. It's not "realistic" per se, but it's Madden. You shouldnt have to limit 4 verts either. But the D is dumb in some ways. Hopefully this is a non-issue in 17 but we'll have to wait and see.

As I mentioned, I have basically played this way for five-straight years. I don't think anyone finds me predictable and easy to stop. So I'm not at all concerned about that from a scheme standpoint. We have several other great game planners that were already doing these things too so it's proven to work just fine. It only limits the guys who don't want to work for their drives and want to rely on easy bailouts which is not the goal of a high level sim league.

Dues21

Prospect
Another thing I noticed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is we run 10min qtrs? With a lot of limited plays. That's a long game of just pushing random buttons. For example. If my opponent is running man defense then I'm going to run man beaters. The same rule applies to zone. So take the drag routes for example, I'm only taking what the defense is giving me. If u don't know how to stop drags, that's not my problem. But 10mins is a long time to only run certain plays.

Imperfect611

Starter
Another thing I noticed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is we run 10min qtrs? With a lot of limited plays. That's a long game of just pushing random buttons. For example. If my opponent is running man defense then I'm going to run man beaters. The same rule applies to zone. So take the drag routes for example, I'm only taking what the defense is giving me. If u don't know how to stop drags, that's not my problem. But 10mins is a long time to only run certain plays.

You think it would, but the number of options are fine. Just go play 1 or 2 computer games on your own and count your routes. I am probably the most argumentative guy here, but it isn't that hard if you pay attention and the route limits really don't limit you, but force you to expand.

Dues21

Prospect
There is a counter to everything in this game. If u guys want to learn how to beat drags, then I will be more then happy to show u. But hey ur rules. I will just have to write it all down and count how many times I dragged.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member

Do you honestly believe drags are easy to cover and that LBs play any sense of realistic man coverage? Drags to your WRs aren't a huge issue. Buy again, the limits are based on real life NFL averages over 15 minute quarters. If NFL teams don't complete 10 drags a game, why should we? There are also slants, ins, outs, comebacks, streaks and corners to beat man. Real life teams use the whole arsenal. That's what we expect guys to do here as well.

Again, guys that just rely on drags and corners to TEs aren't great coordinators, they are just great at exploiting what Madden doesn't handle well. That's not what we're about. Guys have to be able to win by using a wide variety of options and not relying just on what is easy on Madden. It's not about what someone can't stop, it's about what you have to do to stop it bc Madden pursues terribly. That's the difference.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Also another thing that made me understand it better is that we want to grow and it is boring to watch a game where every pass is a cross route. We want people to want to play here.

That's another excellent point. Nobody enjoys watching a game where someone just runs the same concepts in the same situations. Guys want to have fun watching league games. We definitely want to have fun watching and calling our live play by play games too. The most diverse and unpredictable certain situations are, the more exciting the games are, both watching and playing.

Dues21

Prospect
If u want to run the comebacks, I will pic it. If u want to run drags, I will stop it. If u want to cross route me to death good luck. BUT if ur scheme is good and I'm off balanced that's the key. If u want me to use my entire PlayBook, I understand that. If u want me to be creative, I get that. Who wants to play a 10min borning game.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
If u want to run the comebacks, I will pic it. If u want to run drags, I will stop it. If u want to cross route me to death good luck. BUT if ur scheme is good and I'm off balanced that's the key. If u want me to use my entire PlayBook, I understand that. If u want me to be creative, I get that. Who wants to play a 10min borning game.

Honesty and unfortunately, a lot of the rules are designed for guys that don't have time or dedication to learn more advanced concepts. We don't ever want to be a MUT league where anything goes and you have to lab 40 hours a week to stop all the flaws. But, at the same time, as we grow and guys improve in learning football, some of this becomes more natural.

It's all about creating a league where people time in and can't tell you're playing madden. They think you're playing just like an NFL team would. All of our rules are designed with that idea in mind.

Imperfect611

Starter

Nobody lol. If you are being unpredictable then the rules probably won't matter too much and if you are playing a good player you need to vary your play.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Bottom line. I'm going to invest in this community. Time and money. I just don't want to be disappointed. I made the choice, now I will follow through.

We appreciate that. The guys who invest and buy in and are willing to challenge their thinking generally tend to love it here and become great members.

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
There is a counter to everything in this game. If u guys want to learn how to beat drags, then I will be more then happy to show u. But hey ur rules. I will just have to write it all down and count how many times I dragged.

Funny you say that, you may have to write it down. I do!

Games are so much better when you mix it up. And yes, some guys are better on the sticks then others but even those guys can get into trouble if you keep them guessing.

oBUCKNUTo

Contributor
I'm for this and I understand the real life vs computer programming concept. I do use FB dive and qb sneaks in "game on the line" situations. I don't like the limiting it to 1 time a game, because the game can be different from 1st qtr to 4th qtr and I go by "playing to win" not "playing to make everyone happy". I think situational rules need to be considered, not just simply 1 time only and only on certain yard lines.

I will follow these rules but it's my thoughts on this situation. This is by far the best league I've ever played in.

Love,
Buck

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I'm for this and I understand the real life vs computer programming concept. I do use FB dive and qb sneaks in "game on the line" situations. I don't like the limiting it to 1 time a game, because the game can be different from 1st qtr to 4th qtr and I go by "playing to win" not "playing to make everyone happy". I think situational rules need to be considered, not just simply 1 time only and only on certain yard lines.

I will follow these rules but it's my thoughts on this situation. This is by far the best league I've ever played in.

Love,
Buck

Unfortunately, when some people are "playing to win" they lose creativity and focus too much on what is "easy" to get that win. There are some people who can use these things responsibly. Others find it more difficult and rely on them to bail them out of bad play calling/decision making. Nothing is a given in the NFL. That's what we're trying to replicate here.

We want to force guys to strategize when and where they want to use these gimme plays. Force them to consider what happens if they can't get an auto first on 4th and 1. That's what real life coaches have to do. Some guys just get too reliant on what's easy. We will always limit that stuff. If guys can't figure out how to win without doing those things, then they need to get better because there are guys winning without doing those things.

oBUCKNUTo

Contributor
Unfortunately, when some people are "playing to win" they lose creativity and focus too much on what is "easy" to get that win. There are some people who can use these things responsibly. Others find it more difficult and rely on them to bail them out of bad play calling/decision making. Nothing is a given in the NFL. That's what we're trying to replicate here.

We want to force guys to strategize when and where they want to use these gimme plays. Force them to consider what happens if they can't get an auto first on 4th and 1. That's what real life coaches have to do. Some guys just get too reliant on what's easy. We will always limit that stuff. If guys can't figure out how to win without doing those things, then they need to get better because there are guys winning without doing those things.
Yes, some people do lose creativity. That's why I, overall, am agreeing with this. :)