Rule Implementation: Free Agency

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
So essentially, if 3 USERs want a certain player and they all go max in, they will all have an identical bid. So then players will most likely choose based on scheme, location, etc.

Also, we need better definition on how the numbers work with resigning players vs. Free agency. I know they do not work the same way on Madden.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
We know that we will likely have to tweak things along the way going into year 2 .We have opened this thread to talk and ask questions. I don't want to sound rude but we will not turn this into a crying/complaining thread like happened with the preseason injury thread. If you have a small tweak/suggestion then feel free to say it. Because yall should know by now we will listen to advice/input but at the end of the day this was/is a decision that me, glen and chris all was in favor of and we make the final calls. This is going to happen this year and if anything yall should be lucky there isn't more rules in place.

Remember the guy that pays to keep this site alive will likely see this thread and be checking it out.

Last edited:

Jukemwr21

All-Star
It might be helpful for one of us (anybody who can operate a calculator) to post what the max offer can be for a player when FA does arise.

dspbuckle

All-Star
So essentially, if 3 USERs want a certain player and they all go max in, they will all have an identical bid. So then players will most likely choose based on scheme, location, etc.

Also, we need better definition on how the numbers work with resigning players vs. Free agency. I know they do not work the same way on Madden.

This is probably where the "negotiation traits" and such come in handy. Cool stuff, thanks.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Jukemwr21 yes the plan is to advance to FA then have everyone hold off on making any bids till we get a thread made. We will post what the max salary and bonus that can be made are

Glen Cieske remind me what we decided on the years you offer someone it has to be what they want correct ?

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Jukemwr21 yes the plan is to advance to FA then have everyone hold off on making any bids till we get a thread made. We will post what the max salary and bonus that can be made are

Glen Cieske remind me what we decided on the years you offer someone it has to be what they want correct ?

No you can bid however many years you want to.

In response to Juke - That is the plan either Georgia, Tex or myself will do it that way there is no confusion.

Glen Cieske

All-Star

Yes

You're right, I should have some time tonight, I will do a write up and explain the differences.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Jukemwr21

I've done several offline CFMs and I've never had the CPU outbid me going as high as these limits are. I do however recognize that the CPU could change its course possibly because there are more users. It'll be monitored.

On the other hand, the CPU is still a team lol it would be nice if they could have a chance at some players.

Jukemwr21

All-Star
Jukemwr21

I've done several offline CFMs and I've never had the CPU outbid me going as high as these limits are. I do however recognize that the CPU could change its course possibly because there are more users. It'll be monitored.

On the other hand, the CPU is still a team lol it would be nice if they could have a chance at some players.
Makes sense, I haven't been a big player in FA since our first year and even then i tried to keep it real. Love what ya'll are doing!

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
You guys are doing well with this idea. Have you considered having a max salary and bonus for each tier so you don't have to go in and manually calculate them all? Also, are they different for different users? Also, what about a minimum bonus % for each tier? It happens occasionally, but generally top players don't get less than 20% bonus.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I know on a minimum we had something in mind for that. That's also been another issue is players getting signed to cheap if they don't have another offer. I can't remember what the min we talked about was but glen will.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
You guys are doing well with this idea. Have you considered having a max salary and bonus for each tier so you don't have to go in and manually calculate them all? Also, are they different for different users? Also, what about a minimum bonus % for each tier? It happens occasionally, but generally top players don't get less than 20% bonus.

I didnt want to do a max for each tier because then you could potentially have a 99 overall guy making the same as a 90.

It's not different for different users. Everyone has the same max per player.

I've thought about setting a minimum, my thought was 10% bonus on deals that are 2+ years. I wanted to see how one free agency period went to determine if a rule was necessary.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I didnt want to do a max for each tier because then you could potentially have a 99 overall guy making the same as a 90.

It's not different for different users. Everyone has the same max per player.

I've thought about setting a minimum, my thought was 10% bonus on deals that are 2+ years. I wanted to see how one free agency period went to determine if a rule was necessary.

I think we had talked about a 20% minimum on deals when we started. I thought that was what everyone was basically operating under. Part of the problem is too much salary room but another part is its too easy to get funds. The less funds guys have, the less they can load up on top-tier players. I'm not sure a minimum is necessary for the top guys, but signing a bunch of lower-tiered guys to salaries with no or little bonus could have an impact on the salaries of the bigger players.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
If yall want a example of a example of why we choose to put a rule in here is one. In one of the earliest years we had a owner give out the following contracts to defense guys in 1 FA period.

4 years for 21 million with 8.48 bonus
5 years for 41.50 million with 9.50 bonus
4 years for 31 million with 16.40 bonus
6 years for 28.35 million with 7.50 bonus
5 years for 25.00 million with 5.50 bonus

This doesn't count any contracts that was handed out on resigning guys and I even didn't name a few more of them. Well now the guys that handed these contracts out is no longer here. The team is now in major cap trouble and even had to let the starting QB walk for nothing but luckly for the team QB's in the draft are a dime a dozen, The new owner took over and now he is hurt by all of this.