Rule Implementation: Free Agency

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Gents,

The intent of this rule is to reign in the contracts being offered in FA. We want to simulate real life as closely as possible, BigTexas18 georgiafan and myself thought it would be best to limit the amount of money a player can be offered. While it would be great to let the market dictate the amount players receive, it is my opinion that we do not play enough seasons in a release to have bad contracts screw over an owner.

The rule:

Free Agents will be broken down into 3 Tiers. With a Max that they can be offered for each tier. Lack of depth in the free agent class could allow a fringe player being included in the tier above them. FAs will be put into tiers based on their overall which will be taken from DaddyLeagues.

Tier 1:

Players Overall 90+

An owner can only offer these players 40% more then what the player is looking for.

Ex. If a player is asking for 20 Mil/yr then the most they can be offered is 28 mil a year.

**The math; 20 x .40 = 8 then 20 + 8 = 28!!!**

Tier 2:

Players Overall 85-89

An owner can only offer these players 30% more then what the players is looking for.

Tier 3:

Players overall 80-84

An owner can only offer these players 20% more then what the player is looking for.

No Tiers for player under overall of 80.

**These figures are only for their base salary, IT DOES NOT INCLUDE SIGNING BONUS**

Signing bonus rule:

Owners cannot offer a player a signing bonus of more then 30% of the amount they are offering as a base pay.

EX. Owner offers 20 mil/yr to a player, that players signing bonus cannot be higher then 6 mil/yr

Punishment for breaking FA rule

1st offense: Player will be released in pre-season

2nd offense: Removal from League.

Pay attention to what you are doing and bring a calculator along with you to FA :)

A few contracts from this years free agency:

Janoris Jenkins:

5 year 62.5 Mil
12.5 per year

10 Mil signing bonus
2 mil per year

Malik Jackson:

5 year 85.5 Mil
17.1 per year

10 Mil signing bonus
2 mil per year

Oliver Vernon:

5 year 85 Mil
17 per year

20 Mil signing bonus
4 Mil per year

Brock Osweiler

4 year 72 Mil
18 Mil per year

12 Mil signing bonus
3 Mil per year

Bruce Irvin

4 Yr 37 Mil
9.25 per year

No signing bonus; got 8.22 total in roster bonus in the first 2 years of contract

Sean Smith

4 Yr 38 Mil
9.5 per year

No signing bonus; got 9.25 total in roster bonus in first 2 years.

Mohamed Sanu

5 Yr 32.5 Mil
6.5 Avg

7 Mil signing bonus
1.4 per year

Aaron Rodgers (2015)

5 year 110 Mil
22 Mil Avg

33.25 Mil signing bonus
6.65 Avg

Danperez blahblahyea7 Tigers20 Paytonno1son dspbuckle Blackhawk375 rkjones217 Jukemwr21 Jbek Imperfect611 Xxclaywilliamxx zbenjamin85 oBUCKNUTo Studley021 Luis3250 pack1797

Glen Cieske

All-Star
As you can see with some of the most recent signings, players don't typically receive more then 30% of the base as a signing bonus.

Even Rodgers % is like 30.22 or something like that.

Imperfect611

Starter
Will players like physical freaks (95+ speed players with high 70s overall) or deceptive overall players (average ovr quarterback with great arms and low awareness) be placed into tiers by the league admins? Sometimes these guys get into big bidding wars.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
We expect yall to have some questions so go ahead and post them if you do. So we can make sure everyone is on the same page before the offseason hits.

Another thing this will do is allow you to offer max $ to a person from the start and not be in front of your ps4 checking it every minute before advance.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Will players like physical freaks (95+ speed players with high 70s overall) or deceptive overall players (average ovr quarterback with great arms) be placed into tiers by the league admins? Sometimes these guys get into big bidding wars.

They could be but I don't think there have been bidding wars over the first 3 seasons so I don't foresee it being an issue all of a sudden

rkjones217

Starter
My only question is if we have the funds but the bidding with cpu happens and it gets too high is that fair to the user? The CPU won't play by the rules. Resulting in losing a player you really wanted

Imperfect611

Starter
I was thinking someone like Tavon Austin or Bryce Petty who in their own right can be way above their overall because of how madden works.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Juke - The CPU isn't very aggressive in FA I don't remember a big name FA signing with the CPU in 4 years.

Imperfect - Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the player will change the amount of $ they want in day 2 if they have a lot of offers. But we will make a thread when we get to FA placing tiers and if we someone obvious kinda like Bryant was last year then I personally would not have a problem placing the guy in the higher tier.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
rk - On bidding wars typically you will see them with like 2 or maybe 3 teams. But you will not see them with like 7 user teams. They was a few of them this year with Joe Thomas, Shaizer, OG Turner, the CB you got with the funny name. So typically you will see them for like the top 5 guys or so but that's about it. This way its similar to the NBA where you can offer the guy "max money" and then it be up to the player on who he goes to. But when you have OT getting 20 million a year we knew we had to do something.

Imperfect611

Starter
I only mention it for special cases and now year one rookies are going to released soon right. Maybe users will pay more for a 25 year old superstar that didn't see playtime than the computer. I am just saying I think we need special cases.

rkjones217

Starter
rk - On bidding wars typically you will see them with like 2 or maybe 3 teams. But you will not see them with like 7 user teams. They was a few of them this year with Joe Thomas, Shaizer, OG Turner, the CB you got with the funny name. So typically you will see them for like the top 5 guys or so but that's about it. This way its similar to the NBA where you can offer the guy "max money" and then it be up to the player on who he goes to. But when you have OT getting 20 million a year we knew we had to do something.
Well yea 20mil a year is crazy I'm just concerned about getting burned by the cpu

pack1797

Staff member
Keep in mind that this rule wouldn't be necessary if people weren't ridiculously overpaying for free agents. Some owners just don't know the realistic numbers, some don't worry about it. Thresholds could be adjusted if the cpu was consistently outbidding users. I don't see that happening.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
We know this isn't the thing kind of thing that everyone is going to be in love with but it had to be done. I haven't ran any test but I don't remember seeing any crazy contracts being signed by the CPU. With us being so late in the madden cycle like glen said the $ being thrown around this year would have been even worse then last year I bet.

For the elite guys 40% more then what they want is a lot of $ especially when a lot of them want crazy $ to begin with. For example my DE Orakpo will be in the top tier for FA this offseason. He wants like 10 million per year since his overall Is 95. But in reality nobody should come close to offering him 40% more then that since he is 32.

Imperfect611

Starter
I am not arguing the pricing of the tiers or the computer issue. In fact only issue I have with the tiers is that there is no catch all or default tier. I think if the rules are going to be enforced there need to be clear rules. These tiers miss a large amount of the player pool (<80 OVR).

I will run tests when I have free time I suppose just to see if I find any issues because I am a control freak in off-season and I will want to know what to expect. If I have time I will post my findings here.

EDIT: Clarity and spelling errors

Last edited: