No Man's Sky

Burns

Hall of Famer
I wanted to put this quote from Reddit because I think it perfectly sums up the game.

"How much you'd like it depends on your personality.

It's not a very actiony game. Plus considering the scope of the game everything you've seen and done basically counts as nothing. So it's not like you can really affect anything you see in a meaningful way. You're never going to "come back for that later" and everything you miss is completely dwarfed by all the things you don't even know they're there.

It becomes an exercise of "what is this world like?" "Can I learn new alien words and find new upgrades or rare materials?" until you're bored with that planet and decide to go find a different one. And the stuff you left behind is always so minimal compared to what's out there that it's hard for it to register.

If that sounds fun to you (it is to me) you'll like the game alot. You'll spend hours walking around looking around. It's an endless minecraft universe where you can't build a house you just gotta keep going. If that sounds tedious to you, it will be and you'll hate it.

This is going to be a hard game for reviewers to rate objectively.

edit I'm glad so many people appreciate this. Too many to respond to really. But the most common things I've seen are

"Great I'll love this!" -You're probably right

"Man, I think I'd hate this." -You're probably right.

Something like "What the point?" or "I think I'd get bored of this." -You probably won't love it.

"Didn't you know bases are coming?" -I do now! Neat!

"Alot is not a word." -Thanks.

"Reviews can't be objective due to the nature opinions." -I disagree with you philosophically."

pack1797

Staff member
Progress update:

Made it off my first planet after gathering the materials needed to repair my starter ship. Starter planet was basically a intemperate, toxic hellhole, but it wasn't too dangerous. I'll probably end up missing my first one though. Good old Haramboi.

On my second planet I'm in search of either a warp core or a way to build one. Otherwise I'm just exploring Boiifudo, it's a touch more habitable than Haramboi.