Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This will be a "blind" vote meaning that we won't know who voted and which way, but I wanted to gauge people's interest in banning user catching. I am going to close this thread top comments as we don't need a debate. I just want to gauge the temperature of the league as this has been discussed by leadership behind the scenes. I'll present the cases for each side and then you can vote which way you would prefer that we go. However, keep in mind that this vote is just for information purposes and may not necessarily mean we will or will not change anything.

CASE FOR BANNING USER CATCHING: There are many sim leagues out there that ban user catching. This started back in the day of "rocket catches" but has remained in place by many leagues. The thought here is that the ratings of the players matter more when the user is removed from the equation. For instance, most team's nickel and dime corners aren't that great. However, a user cxan manually switch to them and make the jump a pass or catch a ball that the CPU would not have based on their ratings. This also leads to unrealistically high INT numbers as we have seen so far in this league. Another benefit would be that pass interference hasn't worked for several years and you can (intentionally or unintentionally) bump a receiver or DB out of position to make a catch with no flag. That would eliminate this as well.

Some would suggest adjusting the sliders would help, but I've found that is not necessarily the case. By lowering the interception slider, all you get is more dropped INTs by the CPU. Users can generally still pick passes off at the same rate and dropped INTs by the CPU is frustrating. Also, adjusting the pass interference slider is thought to only make the CPU receivers or DBs more aggressive and not necessarily increase the rate at which penalties are called.

This proposed change would only prevent a player from switching to a receiver or DB once the ball is in the air. A player who controlled a DB from the snap would still be able to showcase their user skill by manually intercepting passes thrown in their direction.

CASE AGAINST BANNING USER CATCHING: Mostly, this comes down to a player wanting to showcase their skill or make their opponent pay for a bad decision. We all know that CPU receivers and DBs aren't that smart and many times make futile attempts as catching balls. Proponents of user catching want to be able to let their skill and reflexes work in their favor. Some would say that banning user catching would be like banning user running. Players should be able to manually dictate how the game unfolds on the field.

So, that is the basic case made for each side. Both have valid points. Should the team that you built and the players that you put on the field mean more than how skilled you are at manually catching a pass? Are the flaws in the AI and the ways that balls are contested by the CPU and the lack of penalties reason to prevent a skilled user from quickly switching to a receiver or DB to make a play? Is one more realisitc than the other? Does one prevent cheesy play more than the other?

You decide. Let us know which side of the argument you are on. While we may or may not implement a rule regarding this, we will take the user vote into account before making a final decision.

Uweakmestrong

Contributor
Well it's lets those of us who have stick skills showcase them. It's not like a player is cheating, cause your opponent
Can do the same as you. Depending on the A.I to catch a critical pass is like holding a fart in church.... It just might slip out !!! Or AT&T they drop calls when they feel like it !

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Exactly. The user catch negates a player's catch rating. It also allows players to bump receivers or DBs bc pass interference is bonked and doesn't get called.

Uweakmestrong

Contributor
I agree, but in knowing that we would have to balance it out by adjusting sliders or limited it for only playoffs or in season and not the playoffs, back in the early 90's I let the A.I catch it. But I do it based on my opponents now, you almost have to user catch now with the way they have the defenses playing now in order to have an fighting chance to win !

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I disagree. I rarely user catch and can pass the ball fine. I think guys rely on user catching to bail themselves out from making bad reads. That's not realistic. And sliders don't adjust any of this. All they do is make the CPU drop more passes or the WRs and DBs more aggressive but it doesn't actually affect the penalties called. Its a complicated situation. If there was an easy fix I would have done it ;)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Here is the big reason why I don't like user ctaching. Watch these animations. "There's nothing you can do" as a DB

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
None of those catches were user catches. That's the whole point of his video.

Ya you're right. Went back and watched it. Stupid to call it "rocket" catching bc that is a user technique lol. So he's saying its undefendable if you let CPU get it. Lol. Wonder if this is one of those practice things. I've never had a WR come down with a jump ball by letting the CPU handle it.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This one I actually don't think is bad. Not sure why he thinks its really a rocket catch or a "cheat". Just the receiver adjusting to the ball.

beeswarm

Contributor
Rocket catching is a glitch and should never be used, and if caught player should be banned for a week. That being said, I like to think no one in this league does that cheese

Uweakmestrong

Contributor
Rocket catching is a glitch and should never be used, and if caught player should be banned for a week. That being said, I like to think no one in this league does that cheese
The funny thing is how serious we all are and its a video gm, we tend to,forget get that I think

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
The funny thing is how serious we all are and its a video gm, we tend to,forget get that I think

I agree with that. I like the competition and trying to win by outsmarting or out coaching my opponent. But guys that want to resort to cheap tactics or AI glitches to win make me scratch my head. Lol. It is a video game and why ruin the league experience and potential friendships for a cheap TD or win. #ShortSighted

B

BlackPaw

What about how you were saying guys bumping recievers and getting the interception. The user separation thing is crazy, thats def an advantage, havent seen that take place yet.