Madden 16 Impressions

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
It is still early on and there is almost certainly a launch day patch in the works. However, I'd like to get everyone's Madden 16 impressions from what you have played so far. For those of you who have not played it, keep in mind that it is still early. We will likely get much better at certain things and other things that we do not like are still to be discovered. But it would be nice to get the convo going and see where we are at with Madden 16.

Aggressive Catch

I'll post this first as I think that is the thing most people are the most interested in or concerned about. Overall, I do not think that aggressive catch is over powered (OP). However, I think it may be with a few of the elite receivers. I had a guy last night that literally ran the same pass play EVERY play and threw three TDs to Calvin Johnson using aggressive catch. I tried playing the receiver. I tried playing the ball. I even tried swatting (which appears to have been removed). Nothing worked. Had I had better CBs it may have been a different story. However, you should not be able to throw the exact same route from the exact same formation to the exact same receiver being covered by the exact same DB over and over with impunity. I'm sure I will figure out how to better defend that the next time I encounter it, but it was extremely frustrating and irritating and seems capable of being exploited.

User INTs

This is another point of contention as we move back to allowing user catching and switching players while the ball is in the air. I hadn't noticed this much before the above referenced game but that guy user picked me four times. Two he usered the MLB (Ray Lewis) from the start and made great plays. The other two he quick switched and nabbed user picks. Although the mechanics are different, I think this has the potential to once again be exploited. Being able to quick switch to a defender to make a user INT that the CPU would not doesn't take a great deal of skill outside of reflexes. Especially since its just a single button press. Its a situation that needs to be monitored at least as we head towards release and the kickoff of our leagues.

WR/DB Interaction

I think anyone who spends even a little bit of time watching or playing this game can see the drastic improvement in the interaction between the WRs and DBs. Outside of the above referenced situation, I think this is well done and pretty balanced. In most games, I see far more over throws and DB pass break ups than I do aggressive catches. Although I think the mechanic for using the different catches will take some getting used to, the difference in aggressive, RAC and possession catches is very noticeable and adds a great deal to the overall feel and presentation of the game.

QB Throwing/Precision Passing

Admittedly, I am going to have to get a lot better at this. I still have not figured out when is the best time to try and drop in a touch pass in and I often forget about the ability to throw a high or low ball. However, I do feel that they work pretty well and that you now have much more control over how you throw to your receivers. I love the fact that not every pass is spot on and you will see the occasional overthrow. This is even more prevalent with inaccurate QBs and when throwing off of your back foot. Stepping into the pocket and planting your feet to throw is going to be more important than ever, which is a good thing.

Man Coverage

I have mixed reviews on this. This was one of the biggest complaints from Madden 15. Most guys refused to play man in any meaningful passing situation a year ago. While it has been improved, new issues have presented themselves.

First, LBs are awful at covering drags and quick outs to the flat. They seem to be locked in their read animation for too long and get a very slow acceleration when their receiver breaks. This leads to TEs and slot receivers getting a good 2-3 yard head start on them over and over. This seems consistent on every kind of man. Playing man in short yardage is going to be damn near impossible unless you get tremendous pressure unless a patch to tune this is in the works.

With that being said, man coverage overall has been improved but is still not great. I have seen LBs and slot defenders blanket corner routes. I have also see the return of defenders running routes in front of receivers (which I hate bc its incredibly unrealistic). However, overall the corner route is still too easy to complete vs man. Drags and crosses by outside receivers are not as money but they will still beat man a very high pct of the time (which they probably should). Maybe some of this can be tuned in sliders but its still not quite where it needs to be to present a realistic NFL-type experience.

Zone Coverage

Overall I think zone is much better than last year. Safeties break on the ball and knock the ball out of receiver's hands much better. LBs will step up and chuck receivers on slants sometimes. CBs will push receivers outside to disrupt timing. But there are still issues.

Safeties still do a terrible job of playing the deep ball. I'm not sure if the zones are programmed in to be a certain depth from the line of scrimmage or what, but far too often they let receivers get depth on them and it can make the deep ball too easy to complete. Cover 4, Man 3 deep, doesn't matter. The safeties do not seem to understand that their primary responsibility is to keep everything in front of them. Now, that may be an easy tune and we may see that improve, but it is an issue currently and one that can be exploited by speed.

Pass Interference/Defensive Holding

This was one of the big features this year: penalties were improved and pass interference would now be called. While I have seen one PI call and one defensive holding, overall I do not think they are significantly better than last year. I've been straight up mugged by defenders on two different occasions and got no call. I'm not sure how the logic works, but it seems that if its not in the immediate vicinity of the ball it won't get called. The only PI call I have seen was on a jump ball.

The instances of where it should have been called but wasn't were when a receiver was going into his break (on a post or deep in) and the defender was in his way and basically held him. Not a holding like he put his hands on him and was physically restricting his movement, but a holding in that the game's collision detection did not seem to detect he ran into the receiver and impaired his ability to run his route. I'm not sure how easy that is to program and it may not be able to be done how we like it. However, promising PI calls and defensive holding and then allowing defenders to completely take a receiver out of his route is kind of confusing. I would probably have preferred no penalties vs thinking that stuff would be fixed and seeing that it has not been.

With that being said, I have noticed more traditional penalties like holding and false starts by default which is nice and not over done. But there are a few bugs with them too which I believe the dev team is aware of and working to fix.

Offensive Line Interaction/Blocking

This is certainly improved over last year. Your line (and FB for that matter) do a better job of getting out in front of blocks and creating holes. As long as you do not hold speed burst too early I think the blocking works mostly how it should. It is still not perfect and I'm sure some will find things to pick apart, but this is one area that I'm pretty content with. They made marked improvement over last year and that's all we can really hope for in this context I think.

Defensive Line Mini-Game/ Playing The Run

Again, this is an area that I think was improved a great deal. It is much more difficult to shed your block and get easy sacks like we saw early on last year. However, I think it is easier to shed your blocks and make a play against the run. Now, its not cheesy vision cone warping like we saw last year, its more of getting of your block and into a gap to make the play. It doesn't always work and sometimes you miss the tackle or get run over, but it does feel much better and more refined than a year ago.

Scouting in Connected Franchise

This kind of took us by surprise when we first got in there and started using it, but I encourage everyone to give it a try and try to understand what I think they were trying to accomplish with it. Now, instead of being able to scout an ability for a player (including the incredibly cheesy tactic of only relying on the intangible trait), you now can only unlock a player's Top 3 skill attributes (ie man and zone defense, arm strength, short and mid accuracy or pursuit, tackling and hit power, etc). It varies by player. However, you know that any skill that you do not unlock will be at best equivalent to the third skill unlocked.

For instance, let's say that you unlock arm strength (A), short accuracy (B) and mid accuracy (C+) for a QB, You know that every other attribute he has will be C+ or worse. It provides some fog of war so to speak for the ratings. That QBs awareness and deep accuracy may both be C or C+ or they may be F. You have no idea until you draft him. I didn't like the lack of control over what I unlocked initially, but I think it actually does a good job of eliminating instances where guys should find a short cut for finding talent. It also adds in the prospect of drafting a bust in the first couple of rounds which is great. I'm not sure you will have many instances of surprise stars in the late rounds with this system (bc you know all ratings are below the third unlocked skill) but those are pretty rare anyway. Personally, I'd rather have the possibility of drafting a bust early than picking a stud late as I find it more realistic. In that context, I think they succeeded in what they were trying to do.

NFL Combine

I'll put this in its own category even though it probably belongs in the one above. The combine happens and all combine stats (40, bench reps, etc) are available three weeks after the Super Bowl. This is when you will find out a player's speed (based on 40), strength, agility, etc. I don't know yet if these are all hard and fast numbers and if we will be able to know a player has exactly 96 SPD or whatever based on the combine numbers or not though. Hopefully there is some variability in it and a 4.4 guy could be anywhere from 89-92 SPD or something like that. Even if not, the best you will know is exactly how fast or how strong a guy is. His skill ratings will play the biggest role and those will be somewhat of a mystery based on how the scouting works.

Free Agent Stats

EA added a really nice player card to each player in the game now. These are now available in free agency so you can see what the ratings are of a player you are bidding on unlike last year. Its a small feature but one that was desperately needed as it made no sense to bid on free agents who you had no idea what their different skills were and how they fit what you were trying to do.

Game Prep/Practice

Game prep was changed up a bit this year and is no longer just about going in and allocating points to a certain player and getting back large chunks of XP to improve them. You can still do that method, but you will earn about half the XP you would if you went in and did the drills with each player to earn XP. Some people will not like this as it adds a good 15 20 minutes to your game prep time. However, I think it is more realistic and makes guys work for their improvement vs just clicking a button. It will also allow guys to practice their skills and improve which is always good in competitive leagues like ours.

In addition to that, you can now go into practice mode with your CFM team via game prep. This is basically the same as doing a regular practice mode in Madden 16 but this one is in your CFM and with all of the players on your CFM team. I have not tested it and I do not think you can earn XP by using it. But it will be an invaluable tool for practicing playbooks and getting used to using rookies and newly signed free agents.

----------

Well, those are my initial impressions. What do you guys think? What are your impressions from playing the game for those that have? For those that have just watched some streams, what is your takeaway? What about those of you who have neither played nor watched much? What do you guys think just from reading the impressions of others?

I think that in a competitive situation in which players use the teams with the elite wideouts the aggressive catch is OP. In a SIM league I doubt that it will be a problem as it won't be spammed. The QB passing system highlights the need for some good deep accuracy. I tried it out with Sam Bradford with a wide open receiver running a streak and he would do some wild throws that go out of bounds. I think the scouting will actually reduce the chance of drafting busts in the first round if u find out the players draft value which is the third attribute unlocked with the scouting points. The only way that I see busts getting drafted early is if they have incredible combine numbers and their athletic appeal is to much to ignore.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
Having not played the game, I like what I have been seeing. I've watched a lot of streams from sim guys to valveeta cheese.

While agreesive catch will probably be a little overpowered right now, I'm ok with that. Rex has come out and said they wanted to get defensive match ups in the game this year but it proved to be too difficult to program and it wasn't completed in time. So while the WR will have the advantage this year, it's possible the defense may have the tools to stop it in years to come.

With the hot routing capabilities of the defense, are we going to set a time limit on the offense that they can't snap the ball until X amount of time has run off the clock after they break the huddle?

The scouting sounds like it'll be more balanced and harder to draft all studs. Do we know for sure that a guys draft grade is tied to his overall? That would be kinda lame as it would make it a little easier.

The safety thing you talked about majesty95 is a little worrisome, hopefully it can be fixed.

Overall I'm happy and hoping this game has the replayability that NCAA 14 did.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, what's "abused"? If Calvin Johnson has 5 rec for 125 yards is that abused? What if all five catches are aggressive catches? What if they all come on 3rd down? Some sim guys will absolutely look to mix it up and not exploit an ads stage like that every third down. But we see all the time guys that do a pretty good of mixing it up for the most part look to a corner or drag every third down. We had to impose limits to keep guys for exploiting those coverage flaws. I just see this as another possible exploit but harder to monitor.

As far as the draft, I'm not sure those true draft grades are 100% accurate. I've seen guys get 3rd round grades that should have been 1st. Although the it may not go the other way in which you are right, it would have the opposite effect.

By abused I just meant spammed like you said the guy kept running the same play on every down. But I had said that in a SIM league I did not expect for it to be spammed. The Calvin stat line would not be surprising nor would it be surpring if all his catches are aggressive, as he would probably do that in real life. I think that a owner would be more wary of drafting someone with less than a 1st round grade in the first round and that would in turn lead to less busts. But it will be really interesting to see how everything shapes out

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Wait, so Calvin never catches slants or curls or ins or outs? Personally, if all a guy can complete is aggressive catches to Calvin Johnson that person is not very good. They are just good at abusing an OP part of the game. I have much more respect for a guy than can complete 7 passes for 125 and none of routes completed were done so more than twice. That's a person who knows how to read defenses and time their throws and took time to learn the game.

In all honesty, anyone that thinks completing five aggressive catches to Calvin every game is in any way sim or realistic should go ahead and move along now. That's not how we roll. Not saying that's what you meant but just putting that out there.

woodsmall12

All-Star
You think swatting was removed?

User DB picks ... My concern, if removed, will be the confusion of the fact u can user catch on offense but not on defense ... Almost seems contradictory however I think more testing will help us evaluate the sitch ... other way to avoid this is if we are only allowed to play w the defensive guy that we start out with on each play

I actually like the fact that u cannot view a players development or intangible before u draft him ... This will help create a more level playing field during the draft and prevent an unfair advantage for any team ... No team will load up on talent bcz they are tipped off by an intangible letter grade ... And really no reason for a team to draft poorly unless u just flat out don't do your homework

Big victory w the addition of free agent stats!

Great analysis majesty95 ... Keep bringing the feedback .. Really enjoy it ... pack1797 anything to add?

Glen Cieske

All-Star
While I agree that if a players only completed passes every game with Megatron are agreesive catches then there is a problem.

But I could see that maybe the defense takes away the short routes and the only completions that can be made are 3 or 4 deep passes that Megatron wins over a CB. I've watched a lot of games with the Lions losing to the Packers and some games that happens.

mycaddy

Starter
As the owner of the Lions I will say that Calvin will not be abusing anyone. HIs season stats will be nice I can assure you but nothing gaudy...

I want to add something that was left out that I noticed which I think is a big deal is having played many users I know a lot of people like to control d-line all the time (I refer to them as d-line dummies) and get a jump on the ball every play... I use hard count (RB on the xb1) a lot against them especially in 3rd and short situations to get an easy first on the penalty well last year it did not work a lot but this year if you are trying to do that it will result in a penalty most of the time (like 80%) and if you dont get the penalty your recovery is not good and you are out of position once the ball is hiked assuming I hike th eball in a timely manner after the hard count. which is great because players can not exploit this and overly use it. and it only works when people are trying to jump the snap... you dont get many CPU jumps and in terms of drawing off CPU I might get as many false starts against me as I do against my opponent

Wait, so Calvin never catches slants or curls or ins or outs? Personally, if all a guy can complete is aggressive catches to Calvin Johnson that person is not very good. They are just good at abusing an OP part of the game. I have much more respect for a guy than can complete 7 passes for 125 and none of routes completed were done so more than twice. That's a person who knows how to read defenses and time their throws and took time to learn the game.

In all honesty, anyone that thinks completing five aggressive catches to Calvin every game is in any way sim or realistic should go ahead and move along now. That's not how we roll. Not saying that's what you meant but just putting that out there.
I said the stat line would not surprise me because Calvin can actually ball out like that in real life. I did not say all the catches would be subjected to only one route, I said it would not surprise if they were aggressive because once again that's part of calvin's game, he can catch aggressive curls, ins, outs. Aggressive is the style of catch it does not mean he can't catch any route in any of the three ways.I would also like to point out that in your original post you said u did not think it was OP, but you have now said that it is an OP part of the game. I did not mean that Calvin doing that every game is Sim. I agree with you about being able to complete many passes without the routes being run continuously. I also don't mean to come off as if I am trying to argue just for the sake of argument.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I don't think you are understanding the difference in aggressive, RAC and possession catches. I'd venture to say Calvin doesn't make aggresive type of catches more than 1-3 times a game on average. Caddy can probably speak to that more but it's just not an animation you see a lot. I think Dez is a lot like Calvin and Dez only makes a couple a game. Really no reason to aggressive catch on slants or drags. It's really just a throw the ball up and pray mechanic (flys and fades).

And I don't think it is OP in general. A 6-1 WR with mid 70s CIT and SPC isn't going to come down with a lot of them. But, again in a smaller sample size, Calvin (and likely Dez, OBJ, Julio and AJ Green) seems to be able to it consistently. So I think it may be fine with average to good receivers and elite receivers may be able to too often. But I'm going to play more this weekend and test. Just concerning when you can't stop it even though you know it's coming. But again, maybe learning the game more will help. But not everyone is going to lab 20 hours a week like I might to figured it out...

It does seem user swatting was removed. It appears your only options are play receiver and play ball. Play ball will make you go after the INT and possibly whiff and give up a big play. It's kinda like aggressive catch for the DB. Play receiver seems to be a one button approach to defending. Sometimes they will get their hand in and rip it out and sometimes they will just try to make the tackle (which sometimes pops the ball out). Again, it works pretty well the majority of the time. But you don't have much control in the situation I referenced above. But, again, small sample size. I would just like the ability to just try and straight swat the ball vs letting the CPU decide (which I don't always like).

woodsmall12

All-Star
A vid on this testing would be awesome, similar to your speed test last year

And my thinking with aggressive catching would be that I'm willing to play the odds ... If a guy wants to go aggressive catch the entire game then 1) do it cz odds would favor me and 2) he obviously doesn't understand the benefits of the possession and RAC catches ... Odds would favor me in a game with that strategic approach ... Would aggressive catch be considered sim, nope, not at all ... I assume pack would step in and discuss the attempt at abuse but I'm not so sure it's abuse unless it's overpowered ... I see it more as a high risk high reward

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I saw Clint Oldenburg post on Twitter that some of the settings are different for online H2H games and other modes. He specifically mentioned penalties but I could see some of the gameplay being tuned differently too. I still don't like it bc I really like Draft Champions and want to play it. But, it does sound promising that CPU and franchise league games will be a better representation of realism. Still want to see what happens on Tuesday though. Hopefully at least some of it is improved.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I took down my frustration post. There are features to shut down the aggressive catch like spotlighting (which apparently was in the game last year) and using quick audibles to manually double guys. I do not think we will see this nearly as much in leagues and it may also not work as well away from online H2H so I feel better about the situation. At least enough to wait and see what the retail version brings.

mycaddy

Starter
Spotlighting is an option you have on defense to spotlight a wr... zone will move toward that wr... another thing you can do it double team.

mycaddy

Starter
I did a test of agg catch and figured I would share my results in here instead of creating a new thread... I think most people know my favorite team is the Lions so I tried a test where I threw 30 passes (10 cover 0, 10 cover 3 zone, 10 cover 2 man under) I will do this both with Calvin Johnson an elite wr in the game then do the same with GOlden Tate who is a good wr in the game. then I did this versus elite cbs and against normal cbs
(also I did not count wild throws where the ball was either overthrown or simple went out of bounds)

versus Darius Slay
Calvin Johnson 30 for 30
Golden Tate 14 for 30

versus Richard Sherman
Calvin Johnson 28 for 30
Golden Tate 2 for 30 (Sherman had more picks that Tate had catches)

versus Patrick Peterson
Calvin Johnson 29 for 30
Golden Tate 11 for 30

all of this is versus cpu against a skilled human I would think the numbers would change

mycaddy

Starter
I want to add another opinion is although jumping and CIT I am sure has something to do with the numbers but I think height is a huge factor...

Calvin JOhnson is 6'5 taller then anyone tested against
Tate is 5'10 smaller than anyone

of the cbs Slay is the shortest... yet 1 inch taller than Tate... and basically the number reflct that it was basically a 50/50 ball

SHerman who is the tallest had the most success although him and peterson have very similar stats Sherman dominated versus Tate...