Bucs Dolphins Trade 3.0

Imperfect611

Starter
Georgia I think Blackmon is also heavily underrated that's why I value them similarly along with the extra 2.5M Phins take on in cap taking him and Alexander. If that helps explain my reasoning.

Jukemwr21

All-Star
So I have read everyone else's thoughts and first thing is that I am going to approach the idea of a team trading a star player being unrealistic differently. In the NFL trades for players aren't as common as other sports, but they are generally for two reasons.

One a player is unhappy which maybe you could say that if you wanted a story, but McCoy starts and is always on the field. The Bucs are super bowl contenders and I can't imagine he would want to go to a team where he would become a DT2 and which most people are expecting a wild card or 8-8/9-7 finish from considering that divisions history.

Second is for cap reasons which is what this is, but those are usually off-season trades. Mid-tier veterans (80-85 overall to me) in off-season would go for 6th or 7th round picks simply to get them off the roster. McCoy is not mid-tier by any sense he is arguably the best run stopping 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE in the game rivaled by Suh. In offseason i would value him to be worth a 2nd and a 3rd or a 1st and 4th. This is because of the cap issue and that the Bucs could fill the hole in FA and the draft immediately. Because this is regular season now though the Dolphins would need to pay for the value of the player and the cap issue would most likely be ignored. There is no reason the Bucs should want to give up McCoy mid season unless the Phins overpay, because no matter what their team will be weaker for a year. IRL this trade would happen in off-season before FA.

According to my thoughts though Phins would be slightly overpaying for McCoy atm. He is 30 years old and yes usually it is speed that goes down first, but tbh we don't have many years left. Phins will have McCoy until the franchise is over most likely. McCoy will at worst drop to a 94 overall and be a big tank in the middle of the line nobody can move. The draft picks can cover McCoy in value, but why would a 4-0-0 team looking at a deep playoff run trade off their best player? I can't see it.

The other half of the trade is purely scheme based to me. Landry is small for an NFL WR, but he has some of the surest hands in the game. Up his route running a little and he is Edelman or Welker. Good player and with some improvement could be a number one in the right scheme in a year or two. Blackmon is secretly a great player his awareness is dropping his overall. The two offset each other based upon the scheme you put them in.

Alexander lastly is basically worthless in this trade and more of a consolation prize to the Phins to push the trade through. He gets hurt way to easily and that is only going to get worse. He is worth a 6th rounder or 7th imo because he is replaceable in FA. I don't count him at all in this trade except for the cap issue.

On the issue of the cap glitch we are going to need to find a work around to try and fix this issue. Maybe it will need to be a hands off policy with Winston come FA or giving Juke as much leeway as possible with cap pens and clearing them. I know this trade happened due to a glitch, but I still feel like I need to consider the impact this trade has personnel wise. I am accepting some of the sim style will have to be set aside due to a glitch. 16 weeks is what I am thinking about. 15 potential games without McCoy and without opportunity to get that caliber player again.

Verdict: No
Reason:
Timing. If this was the offseason I would say yes, but since this is week 4-5 it is a no unless the Phins are willing to truly overpay for McCoy. The Bucs giving up this player should feel like there is no risk to them at all and atm who knows how the draft will turn out. This can't be an even trade value wise imo since the 20 weeks without McCoy's replacement (or a need to worry about cap) need to be considered.
Suggestion: Phins replace their 3rd with a 2nd and I am a yes.

FYI: I tried to trade him in the off-season, and of course it was denied hence the "3.0" title of the trade. lol Your input is awesome and don't apologize for something like that!

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
McCoy
for
1st & 3rd round draft pick

Thoughts - With the things I've said about the cap/sim stuff and overlooking them and just look at the values and breaking it down. If this was year 1 then I would say the McCoy needs to be a 1st and 2nd so I think this is acceptable value when you factor in this allows the bucs to bring in/resign players with the $ saved.

----

Blackman & Alexander

for

Landy

Thoughts - I struggle to see the logic in this one from the dolphins side as Landy to me has more value then Blackman. Since Blackman is 3 years older and has slow development so he is maxed out as far as ratings go. I don't understand the reasoning from the dolphins of getting Alexander who at 30 is kinda a 1 trick pony with spec catch/jump with his 6'5 size. At the end of this trade the dolphins will still have a collection of #2 and #3 WR's with not much cap space or draft picks to improve on them in the offseason. I don't know what the exact cap room will be for the dolphins after this trade but looks like it will be pretty close. So I don't think the 2.3 million of Alexander is needed unless he has plans for him to start. I understand the logic "downgrading" from Landry to Blackman if that's the tradeoff of getting McCoy.

If I am the dolphins I go
#1 Parker (75 ovr, age 25, fast development)
#2 Blackman (80 ovr, age 28)
slot - Wheaton (75 ovr, age 27) or Stills

Imperfect611

Starter
McCoy
for
1st & 3rd round draft pick

Thoughts - With the things I've said about the cap/sim stuff and overlooking them and just look at the values and breaking it down. If this was year 1 then I would say the McCoy needs to be a 1st and 2nd so I think this is acceptable value when you factor in this allows the bucs to bring in/resign players with the $ saved.

----

Blackman & Alexander

for

Landy

Thoughts - I struggle to see the logic in this one from the dolphins side as Landy to me has more value then Blackman. Since Blackman is 3 years older and has slow development so he is maxed out as far as ratings go. I don't understand the reasoning from the dolphins of getting Alexander who at 30 is kinda a 1 trick pony with spec catch/jump with his 6'5 size. At the end of this trade the dolphins will still have a collection of #2 and #3 WR's with not much cap space or draft picks to improve on them in the offseason. I don't know what the exact cap room will be for the dolphins after this trade but looks like it will be pretty close. So I don't think the 2.3 million of Alexander is needed unless he has plans for him to start. I understand the logic "downgrading" from Landry to Blackman if that's the tradeoff of getting McCoy.

If I am the dolphins I go
#1 Parker (75 ovr, age 25, fast development)
#2 Blackman (80 ovr, age 28)
slot - Wheaton (75 ovr, age 27) or Stills

Imo Parker is worth more in madden due to his skillset (speed agility) than Landry, because those are the hardest skills to increase in madden. Alexander to me is a plus for the Bucs just getting him off roster. Phins might find a use for him though.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
If we need to and its split since Juke is on the committee and can't vote we will pull either chris or glen to vote

Imperfect611

Starter
So I have one more idea that is not exactly sim, but it would allow the Bucs to hedge their bets on the draft picks. Giving McCoy to the Phins give them the potential to have the best run stopping line in the league. This could be the push Luis needs to get to the playoffs this year and maybe make it into later rounds. The later the Phins go the less their picks are worth which could really tip the balance of this trade to the Phins.

So here is my proposition. If the Phins make the playoffs the best pick they can have is 20. What if we keep the trade as is unless the Phins make the playoffs. In this situation they trade back the 2nd and 3rd picks. We know there is huge value throughout the 1st and 2nd, but the 3rd is where it starts to thin. This would guarantee that the Bucs have a shot at 2 star players with these picks.

So everything stays the same, but if the Phins make the playoffs the picks are switched as suggested. If not the trade stays as originally posted.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
So your saying it goes through as a 1st and 3rd and then if the dolphins makes the playoff it becomes a 2nd? I would be ok with that and conditional draft picks happen all the time in real life

If your looking at the dolphins playoff chances I think we will know more tonight when they face a CPU team they should/could beat. There schedule gets tough down the stretch with 6 tough user games (bills ,bills, titans, jags, lions, bengals) so its gonna be really tough to make the playoffs if they lose tonight and start out 1-3.