VIP 2016 Offseason Preview thread

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Rams

QB
The Rams was 27th in the NFL in passing yards this year and Foles (27, 78 ovr) could be upgraded on but that is easier said then done. They won't be a QB in the free agency that will be a upgrade over him and the Rams have the 23rd pick in the draft. So if they are wanting to find a QB with that 23rd pick its likely all the top guys will be off the board. This is where scouting kicks in for non 1st round QB's

WR
The cupboard isn't completely bare but with having to go up against the legion of boom they are still way behind so atleast a new starter is needed. Kenny Britt (27, 85 ovr) and Brian Quick (27, 81 ovr) are capable of starting but didn't have much production. Stedman Bailey (25, 76 ovr) lead the way for WR's but was below 700 yards. Tavon Auston (25, 71 ovr) surprisingly only had 5 catches this year

RT
The young OL paved the way for a major season for Gurley who might be the best player in the league for 2016. RT Rob Havenstein (24, 70 ovr) could use some competition along with RG Garett Reynolds (29, 79 ovr). Maybe it's not a first round need but bringing in a guy who can play OG or OT in the 3rd round makes sense to me.

--------------------------------

Seahawks

HB
Lynch (96 ovr) struggled a bit in the regular season but showed in the playoffs he still is one of the games best. But he will soon be 30 and they need some young legs behind him. Chris Johnson was the backup this year after being signed in preseason and the 3rd HB on the roster has a rating in the 60's. A bad team drafts for next year and a superbowl team drafts for 2 years from now. That's what they have the chance to draft a player to be the change of pace or to give Lynch a rest. Then when lynch retires you will not be starting from scratch.

WR
This is a interesting position because there is depth, talent and youth but on a team with so few holes we fill it could be upgraded on. Doug Baldwin (26, 80 ovr) and Jermaine Kearse (25, 83 ovr) both went over 700 yards this year. Chris Matthews (25, 78 ovr) also had a solid season with over 500 yards while Tyler Lockette was the big play guy but only had 6 catches. Remember that Paul Richardson was traded during the year. You can't talk about WR's without mentioning Jimmy Graham (28, 99 ovr) even though he Is a TE is clearly the best pass catcher on the team. It may not be the #1 need but if they can find a way to bring in a elite talent it would make this team even scary because we know the owner likes to spread the ball around.

C
36 year old Robert Garza was the starting center this year after the trade of Max Unger that brought in Jimmy Graham. A new starter is needed for sure here and to me the clear cut biggest need.

----------------------------------

49ers

WR
Anquain Boldin (91 ovr) is 35 and we expect him to retire at the end of year or at best one more year. Torey Smith (27, 87 ovr) was overpaid but is a starting player and lead with over 600 yards. I guess Quinton Patton (26, 70 ovr) is next in line because he had over 500 yards. But Vernon Davis's stats was head and shoulders above the WR's on the team and that will have to improve in 2016 if they want to beat the Rams or Seahawks. They finished 32nd in passing offense this year.

RG
Carlos Hyde had a breakout year with over 1,200 yards and the best chance for them to get better is to build up the OL blocking for him. Jordan Devey (28, 73 ovr) could easily be upgraded on and the LG position also could use depth with Alex Boon over 30 and yet to get a new deal.

RT
This position might be the worst of the bunch though with 34 year old Erik Pears (71 ovr) and no depth behind him. There is only 3 OT on the entire roster so two quality guys need to be brought in because Joe Staley is quickly 33 years old.

----------------------------------------

Cards

QB
We expect Carson Palmer (79 ovr) to be retire and this is team headed in the wrong direction and fast. They was worst in the NFL in scoring last year. They have the 4th overall pick and we don't expect them to take a QB there with Hill off the board. They need to if they have one graded out with a 1st round grade but we don't know how smart the CPU draft logic is yet. We could see them signing a QB in FA if not then Matt Barkley likely could start.

C
Both Centers on the roster are over 30 and not elite.

DT
Another major need area with only 3 DT on the roster two of which have a 60 rating and the other being injury prone Corey Peters (28, 77 ovr). When you play in a divison vs Hyde, Lynch and Gurely we don't recommend being soft at the DT spot. They gave up a boggling 127 yards per game on the ground 2nd worst in the NFL.

NightHawkTH32 woodsmall12 Ninersfan8052

I think working on defense is going to be my best bet right now and OL. Hopefully free agency and the draft will pay dividends. I have a lot of money and always willing to trade!

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
After the real life offseason the 49ers had last year it created a lot of holes on the roster which I know that you know about being a 49ers fan. From a team stats standpoint your defense was middle of the pack in all 4 main area's where as 3 of the 4 on offense was in the 30's. I know you can't always go by stats but that played a big part in why I put all 3 in offense. Two other area's that I easily could have put up are DE, DT and CB.

Another reminder the overalls I look at may not match up with the ones you do.

I feel like I had a lot of trouble stopping offense's especially against the damn CPU. There is a lot to work on and it will take a couple years unfortunately.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Eagles

QB
Sam Bradford (28, 78 ovr) will be a free agent and we expect him to the hit free agency and not be resigned. Mark Sanchez (29, 76 ovr) posted almost identical stats as Sam did. What we don't know is if they will go with Mark as the starting QB or draft one. They have the 11th pick in the draft and could be in the mix for the #2 ranked QB.

WR
Not only do the eagles have QB issues they also have WR issues where no WR had over 700 yards. Jordan Matthews (24, 84 ovr) is a starter for years to come. Nelson Agholor (23, 74 ovr) a former 1st round pick only had 6 catches iin his rookie year. Riley Cooper (28, 79 ovr) Miles Austin (32, 78 ovr) and Josh Huff (24, 69 ovr) are nothing to get exicted about. With a new owner we expect a big jump in production for Nelson in year 2.

SS
They was 29th vs the pass this past year and have holes at CB and SS but we went with SS as the biggest need. Walter Thurmond (29, 75 ovr) had 3 pics and 3 FF but gave up to many plays.

-------------------------------------​

Giants

QB
Eli lead his team to the playoffs this year but he is 35 and its time to bring in his replacement and remember QB retire a bit early in madden. They do have Ryan Nassib (26, 74) on the roster and he could potential be the guy that is groomed to take over for Eli. The 3rd string QB on the roster is Brandon Weeden (32, 73 ovr). They don't have a 1st round pick so they will be unable to bring in a elite guy this year.

LOLB
We listed LOLB but really the giants just need a elite talent and playmaker at the LB position. They have decent guys at the LB spot like Devon Kirkland (25, 79 ovr), and Julian Stanford (25, 75 ovr). Also of note all 3 MLB on the roster are over 30.

SS
Like LB you have a decent guy in Bennett Jackson (24, 75 ovr) but with Landon Collins (22, 81 ovr) who was a keeper as a 2nd round pick last year. Finding another highly rated SS to team with him would make a for a good duo for years to come We aren't trying to beat a dead horse here but they also don't have a 3rd round pick in 2016th or 2017 (they do get a 4th in 2016). So the future with now being CPU team now is not looking good.

--------------------------------

Redskins

QB
Kirk Cousins and RG3 split time this year but neither performed all that well. As a team they was 25th in passing and 29th in scoring. But since they made the playoffs and won a game I don't see them getting a QB in round 1 unless they have done a good job scouting that position and even that that's not likely picking behind playoff teams like Rams, Chiefs and Chargers.

RT
The run blocking was good last year for them with the help of rookie Brandon Scheriff (84 ovr). But a little more work is needed at either LG or RT. The two battling it out for RT as of now are Morgan Moses (25, 73 ovr) and Tom Compton (27, 75 ovr). Even Center could use a young body with the starter over 30

SS
Duke Ihenacho (27, 75 ovr) and Jeron Johnson (28, 73 ovr) are the two on the roster while Duke did have 7 interceptions they gave 242 passing yards a game. Even if your ok with Duke starting for now some young talent is needed at both Saftey spots.

------------------------

Cowboys

QB
Tony Romo will soon be 37 and could retire as soon as this year. When he got hurt this year it ended up costing his team a chance in the playoffs. Its obvious they need to bring in some QB help even if its as the backup for this year to compete for the starting job in 2017.

HB
Murray of course left last year and his replacement has not been found yet. How do you have that great of a OL and only rush for 59 yards a game dead last in the NFL. This might be a good spot for a FA like Lamar Miller or Doug Martin someone that can step in right away and produce on a team that can win the division. These are the run block ratings for your starting 5 OL 96,95, 99, 90 and 92.

CB
The pass defense was good last year finished 10th in yards but some more talent is needed at this spot. The top 2 guys are at the 30 year old mark in Orlando Scanderick and Brandon Carr. 6'1 Bryon Jones (23, 72 ovr) could develop into something and former top 10 pick Morris Clairborne (26,71) is still hanging around.

rkjones217 ACH_Bucks doubles87