Suspension Question (VOTE)

Should Bridgewater Get a Two-Game Suspension?

• Yes, the rule was broken.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, it was within the spirit of sim. Just amend the rule.

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
There was a situation in my game with pack1797 where at the end of the 2nd quarter I had a 4th and 9 from his 30 with :02 left on the clock. My thought process was that there was a 16 MPH head wind and there was no way I could hit the FG. So I ran the clock down to two seconds with the intent to just take a shot at the end zone, not really expecting anything of it. I dont think pack1797 expected it even though I waited for him to take a TO (which he didn't). I also was out of timeouts.

I honestly wasn't even thinking about the 4th down rule. Technically I did break the rule as it is worded. However, I also asked myself what would I do to someone else if it was the same situation. I don't think I would consider it a rule break. I think it's perfectly reasonable for a team to know it cannot kick the FG and to take a shot at the end zone. I would say they were playing within the "spirit" of sim and then ammend the rule to account for a situation like that.

However, I want to be fair so I will leave it up to you guys. Should I suspend Bridgewater for two games for breaking the rule or should I just amend the rule so that it isn't an issue going forward?

woodsmall12

All-Star
Well considering there would be no more plays after that I would be fine w it ... Every nfl coach would have chucked it in the end zone however Kirk ferentz would have taken a knee

pack1797

Staff member
This is a non issue in my opinion. Nothing cheesy or exploitive happened. I get why majesty95 posted this, and I appreciate it. But the fact is that if I don't have an issue with it, and I was the other party, then others should take the same stance. I didn't complain in game, and Maj is covering his bases, which we all should do.

Mark

Starter
You should take the suspension, you broke the 4th down rule. If it would have been the Pats, you would have already laid down the suspension and everyone would have agreed that the rule was broken.

I do think the rule needs to be changed, but changing the rule after the commissioner broke the rule, without some kind of suspenion isn't fair to the league or to the teams that have already gotten suspensions for breaking the rules. Regardless of what the vote is, the commissioner needs to lead by example. Not break the rules then change them to fit his own needs.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Mark how about you lead by example and not break rules and then you can have an opinion on other people not breaking rules. Go one season without doing something to get suspended for and then people might take what you say more seriously. The fact that you appear to be the only one who is showing opposition should tell you something.

Kwarren3

Starter
I haven't been here very long so I try not to overstep my bounds, but being that I've played in sim leagues for a few years now, and commished one as well, here my 2 cents. I think there's a good bit of rules that you can find an example in real life to argue against it. It's like that everywhere. Especially 4th down rules. I think it all comes down to the player, not the rules. It's easy to tell when someone breaks a rule because in their mind it's sim(would happen in real life) and then when someone is obviously destroying rules and possibly on multiple occasions. I agree with what you did and it's clear most people do. Just thought I would throw that out there. Stay sim everyone!