Stopping 4 Verticals in Madden 16 Draft Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
For any of you that have watched my streams, I've been extremely frustrated with this aspect of Madden 16. I love the concept of Draft Champions and think the draft and balanced teams aspect is well done. However, I find the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically in relation to 4 verts.

I have tried just about everything that I can to stop this play and have had very limited success, at best. I can hold my opponent to a 3rd and 12, or even 3rd and 19 once, but they will come out in 4 verts and BOOM, they convert the 1st down. I have tried Cover 4. I've tried two man under while shading inside. I've tried Cover 0 blitzes, 3 deep zone blitzes, etc. I can get an occasional stop. But if they have a TE like Greg Olsen or worse, he's paired with a WR like Herman Moore, I feel like this play is unstoppable.

I was wondering if any of you gys have had success shutting down 4 verts from trips and if you guys are seeing it as much as I am (90%+ on 3rd and 7+ and some guys uses it as one of 3-4 total pass plays)?

I went into practice mode and tested 4 verts from trips vs both Cover 4 and 2 man under with the Titans against the Seahawks and was able to complete a very high pct of the passes (probably 80-90%) to the TE (Delanie Walker). Against 2 under, the MLB opens his hips and looks like he wants to run vertical with the inside receiver (TE). However, that inside receiver cuts underneath the defender who gets turned around and leaves the receiver wide open for a big gain as long as the throw isn't off. Against Cover 4, the MLB doesn't get enough depth to make the pass to the TE risky enough and the two safeties are late in reacting to the pass. You can lead the pass up field and split the safeties perfectly almost every time.

I have video that I need to edit this weekend and post so guys can see what I'm talking about. I think the solution is simple in the long-term: the MLB cannot always open his hips to run vertical and has to read and play the route some of the time making it a less than automatic play. The safeties also need to read and react to the route quicker, at least part of the time, to make a play on the ball and pop it loose a fair amount of the time. Maybe I can get it in front of the EA devs and get them to tune it in the future.

In the meantime, however, has anyone figured out how to shut 4 verts from trips down a reasonable amount of the time? Even if we are mixing it up, we don't want to have to ban an entire series of plays from use. But if we can't find a reasonable option, its going to be far to easy to exploit and have guys use to bail themselves out on long 3rd downs. Thought or suggestions? FWIW, I have tried just about everything possible to strop this play including dropping 11 into coverage (which seemed to be the only think that could shut it down a reasonable amount of the time. But, A. we do not allow that in the leagues and B. you are then susceptible to the QB scramble (even when spying multiple guys).

mycaddy

Starter
My opinion best to manually cover the inside guy you are refering to with someone with underneath coverage and as long as the wr 2nd to left (from Lions playbook I know that is RB) then you should be good... but if QB gets enough time you will be in troube anyway...

Also you are refering to the TE being on that inside spot but I know in the Lions playbook there is a formation (think its called shotgun cowboy open trey) that put the #1 wr in that spot I am sure you see that is an even bigger problem for sure...

I will post a video of what I am saying so you can visually see. the completion drops drastically to about 50/50 if you have really good coverage skills manually.. but if QB gets time and has a great arm then it goes back up

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, that's part of my issue. You can't expect everyone who plays to be great at manually covering that. And if the CPU cannot do it, it's exploitable, even if only used 2-4 times per game.

mycaddy

Starter
I agree with what you are saying... I was just speaking for people that want to take the time to practice but yes I do not think it is possible without good cover skills in any defense... If you find a way then please let me know

mycaddy

Starter
I will say I have not tried practicing any of the new defensive audibles. I have practiced that just so I get quicker at doing it to stop certain plays or players but not versus that specific play...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, in theory you could run cover 4 and put the FS in man vs the post guy which may help. Or you could run 2 man under and double him with one of the LBs on the line or even the FS again. I just think it unrealistic to expect guys to have to figure out all that to stop one play a reasonable amount of time.

mycaddy

Starter
I will lab with the things you mentioned... Because as you pointed out even in a sim league you can expect to see it once or twice a game and critical times plus any lobby games you will see it many times over and over again

mycaddy

Starter
I would prefer something easier than having to over committ and take a player out of position to user that and leaving myself vunerable to something else

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
That's the thing, even if you figure out how to shut down the inside post, then you leVe yourself open to the QB scrambling bc most use Newton or Wilson. I've even had a guy scramble on me with Peyton Manning :rolleyes:

mycaddy

Starter
lol yea my wife had that and I wa laughing because that is crazy and I think (like in previous maddens) if you do that QB should fumble a lot more often if he gets hit but I havent seen that at all

Status
Not open for further replies.