Season 2: Vikings vs Eagles Week 9 - Post Game Press Conference

moniqx4

Starter
http://daddyleagues.com/PX1XB1/blog/Vikings/9970/Vikings-come-up-empty-handed-in-Philly.-Literally!

Q: From a viewer standpoint, great game. Close one, a lot of fun to watch. However, you guys were not able to close the deal on that last run in which you needed a Touchdown to win it. Give us your thoughts on the game?

Coach: It was a great matchup. Just one of those games where someone had to win it. We had opportunities, we were moving the ball well. We gave up some big scores on the defensive that put us in that position. I think for the most part we played well, one play was the difference in that game. Unfortunately, it did not go in our favor. Hats off to them for making great plays on the defense to keep us from making that last play.

Q: There was a time during the game, last int he 2nd quarter in which you guys seemed to be confused, and Bridgewater ended up not getting the play off in time, causing a 3rd and manageable situation into a 3rd and long and ultimately making you punt. What was happening there ?

Coach: We had a little technical difficulty with the headsets, and Bridgewater wasn't able to make out what playing we were calling, so we were trying to scramble to fix the issue and ended up not getting the play off in time, or being able to call a timeout. Next time we need to check batteries and be sure to have the spare ones close by just in case. Nothing too serious.

Q: That last drive was a killer. You guys had the lead and them gave it up late in the 4th quarter but made some great plays within the last minute and a half to get within goal within seconds of ending the game. But couldn't bring it in. Do you regret the play calls you made on that drive?

Coach: When we started the drive we had our 3 time outs and we focused getting the short plays along the outside and let our guys extend the plays, but wanted them to get out bounds to preserve the clock. We knew they were going to be covering everything deep. We figured we throw a few in the middle but they had to be worth it since we knew we would have to use a timeout. I think we did a great job of managing the clock in this situation, but with only seconds left on clock, that limited us to what plays we could afford to attempt when we were in goal. So no, I don't regret the play calls, just wish they ended up differently. Rudolph had a chance to pull it in, which surprised me that he didn't hang on to it. He is usually does a better job, pressure of the moment may have gotten to him. Things happen, just the way it goes sometimes.

Q: Noticed some changes in lineup for this game. McKinnon started and ended up with the majority of carries over Peterson. Now every week you've been saying no issues with Peterson, but yet we keep seeing him getting less time with the ball. Be honest with us, whats really going on? You guys getting ready to send him on his way?

Coach: Did you ever think maybe we're preserving him for the long haul? To be honest we recognize he is not a spring chicken, we also recognize he could decide to retire on his on accord. We still think he is great running back to have. We hope we have him around a bit, but in the meantime we have to prepare ourselves and not force him in to early retirement.

Q: You guys really could of used a win here away from home to bounce back from that devastating loss to Detroit last week. Now this loss really puts you in a must win situation here on out to stay in the playoff picture. How viable is that with the status of this team right now?

Coach: I say don't count us out. Our team is full of fighters that are still hungry. We see these losses as learning experiences and we should only improve going forward. This is definitely the biggest challenge we've come up against since I got here, but I think we can arise to the occasion. Bridgewater even with a loss showed us a very controlled quarterback who was able to manage the clock and the ball well and almost pulled it off. No interceptions, and converted quite a bit on 3rd down situations. Defensively, we are starting to see Xavier Rhodes control his aggressive play. He may have not gotten picks today, but he made some great plays on 1 and 1 situations, that could of been killer. Instead of trying to get the pick, he played the ball and kept it out of their hands when it came in his direction. These are things we focus on going forward, and why we believe we have the right guys on the field to do the job.

Q: Love to hear a coach support their team, like you do. Wish you guys all the best and look forward to your next match up at home against the 7 -1 Titans.

Last edited: