Scouting and Watch list video for 16

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, my first issue is that you only unlock 3 attributes and that you unlock the highest of the three first. Why do we only get to unlock 3 and why the highest first? How does that simulate real life?

I do, however, like that guys will move up and down the board throughout the year. Looks like they are trying to simulate guys have breakout years in college or injurie, etc. kind of a nice feature.

I'm also not crazy about this true draft value thing. It might be necessary to keep the more casual player interested so that they don't have to spend a ton of time scouting though. I think the player should have to organize their board and determine which round they think someone should go in but we may have to live with that.

I'm interested to see how the combine stats work and how that works in conjunction with the three ratings you unlock. Kind of nervous they may have dumbed down the scouting and draft but we'll just have to wait and see.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
That ratio seems reasonable. It's always hard to get a full idea of something from small sample sizes. Hope for the best :)

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
It was from the game changers podcast and rex from ea was also on the same podcast. I can't remember if he said this in the video above but he said the rankings of the players in the draft board will change.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
IMO having the best three unlock is ok because when you scout a player IRL what they are the best at jumps out at you right away.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
IMO having the best three unlock is ok because when you scout a player IRL what they are the best at jumps out at you right away.

To some degree. But look at a CB. You might look at man, zone and press. But what about pursuit, tacking, play recognition and awareness? Maybe I run Cover 2 base and want good tackling, zone defenders who can pursue. Can I find that out?

Or what tight ends? I might want to know catch, CIT, route running, run blocking and impact blocking.

We have to see how it works but I'm worried that we are either making it too easy or not giving us the option to know as much as we did before.

Glen Cieske

All-Star
I agree I'd rather just pick the three but honestly I hope this makes scouting difficult. In Madden 15 all you had to do is find players with B Intangibles and you knew you were getting a good player;

For example I just simmed a season as the Jags then scouted just for intangibles and this is what i got in the first 4 rounds;

Round 1 pick 5 - RT OVR 81
Round 2 pick 5 - RG OVR 76
Round 3 pick 5 - DT OVR 85
Round 3 pick 28 - FS OVR 81
Round 4 pick 5 - RG OVR 77

The reason I'm not too worried is because I think it'll be harder for this shit to happen. Could they have changed it so you could still scout individual attributes and not end up with drafts like this? Yeah I believe so, but ill wait and judge it after playing a few seasons.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I had heard about tricks to scouting but never really explored it. I usually scouted the traits I was interested in. But I do hope that part of it is made more difficult bc it is ridiculous that you can get a draft like that just scouting one trait.

mycaddy

Starter
For example I just simmed a season as the Jags then scouted just for intangibles and this is what i got in the first 4 rounds;

Round 1 pick 5 - RT OVR 81
Round 2 pick 5 - RG OVR 76
Round 3 pick 5 - DT OVR 85
Round 3 pick 28 - FS OVR 81
Round 4 pick 5 - RG OVR 77

I didnt know you could do that... and yes I would not want it that easy in 16

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
edit - sorry for the looks of the posting being odd I am having computer problems at work and don't have time to make it look perfect.

I am gonna make a detailed post in this thread since its on topic about the scouting from majesty live stream last night. So if you haven't yet go back and watch it on twitch so you know we are talking about. We know the Vikings don't need a early round QB but for conversation we are gonna assume that they do. This is just a brief quick example and we didn't take time to do everything but its a good example.

• We are gonna assume that we won't be able to find our starting QB in FA or via trade
    • This QB class appears to be weak the top rated QB had a late 1st round grade. The top guy Alex Powe had A arm strength had B short accuracy and C+ throw on the run.
    • Remember after you scout the player all the way it will show the true round grade and his top 3 ratings. So any rating not listed at best will be equal to the 3rd rating.
    • Some positions are more important then others when it comes to wanting to knowing more then the 3 ratings it has listed.
After we had scouted the QB's we set our sights on Jesus Reyes who confirmed by our scouts to have a 3rd round grade but appeared better then other QB's with A arm strength and B accuracy short and throw on the run. He also checked out at the combine with 1st or 2nd for his position 40, vertical, broad, 3 cone, shuttle.

• If we would have scouted every week and not simmed past it then we would have had players that was suppose to be 1st round picks and checked out with a elite grade. They would have also been less of a risk bc of position and ratings shown.
So here are a few questions I have for everyone if this was your team and this was the scenario in one of the leagues here with other users that know what they are doing.

Would you have the guts to take a QB with the 11th pick in the first round a full 2 rounds before he is suppose to go if you dont know his mid or deep accuracy?

Would you wait till round 2 and hope he is still on the board knowing that if he isn't you have a major hole to fill at QB ?

Last edited:

mycaddy

Starter
I would wait... Unless I do not have any other need at any other position (and we know that never happens) I would tough it out with what ever QB I have or get for another season. and my offense might switch to a more ground and pound style til I get the personnel I want

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
One thing I forgot to mention was the QB Jesus Reyes in this case ending up being a good player and a 80/77 overall for the people who didn't watch the video.

woodsmall12

All-Star
If my need was a starting QB for the upcoming yr then yes I would take the risk in a weak QB class ... I think u have too ... Throwing power is hard to attain (and takes forever to build up) and he's already an A which puts him up where I would like him to be ... The diff levels of accuracy and awareness are easy enough to attain over time and I can manage a short game effectively until I can build up the QB

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
In the case with this player it would have worked out and he would have likely gone on to have a good career. But the thing that I like is that its a unknown and adds to the mystery of the NFL draft. Since you don't know his ratings like mid accuracy, deep accuracy, play action, and to a lesser extent consistency. You are taking a gamble those ratings could be B- or they could be a D. In this league with users it will be harder to wait till round 2 because odds are someone else in the league will have found out about him to unlike vs the CPU.

I really hope that you see randomness of draft classes and while this QB class was weak it would be cool if next years was loaded for example.