Rule Changes or Ammendements

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
This got brought up offline by woodsmall12 about trading players in the first year that they were drafted or after signing free agents. I don't think the NFL allows trading of free agents signed in first year but I am not 100% on that. I know they can trade draft picks, at least within a given time period as you see at draft. Interested in what you guys thought about rules pertaining to that.

Also, if you happen to have a proposed rule change or amendment idea, feel free to post it in here for discussion.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Yea I meant rookies in their first season not draft picks sorry about that

I got what you meant. Are there restrictions to trading rookies during their first season in the NFL? There may be. Maybe you can just trade them within a day or two of the draft? I'm open either way. Not a bad idea in either instance.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
The trading of FA that is signed is a no brainer for me not to allow it bc you don't want someone just signing high rated guys and trading them for draft picks or something. As far as trading rookies if its allowed or not in the NFL I am not 100% sure on. It might as well be not allowed because it never happens in real life. If a team isn't happy with someone that was picked from rounds 4-7 they will cut them. If its a early round draft pick they wait till offseason of year 2 and either cut or sometimes trade them for pennies on the dollar after riding the bench year 1.

Last edited:

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
I'm not opposed to the rookie trading, but it seems unsim as I can't remember it happening in the NFL recently and for the person who is going to look it up and find the one time it happened in 1964, I'll pass. Trading FA shouldn't be allowed in the 1st year either. It's probably allowed in the NFL, but it would be unfair in the game as big market teams could buy and sell all they wanted.

priestmvp

Starter
That's how I feel as well. The xb1 league I was in we had rules for not being able to trade fa you just signed or rookie you just drafted. Rooks could be traded in year two if you wanted.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I forgot the word not in my post I've fixed it now buy yea seems like everyone is on the same page with this

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
What about putting in a rule about trading players with no trade clauses. Players like Manning, Mack, and Fitzgerald etc. or would that be too hard to keep up with?

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
You could also have someone or a few people approve the list or even make the list of players that can't be traded. If a star player is traded or left off the list then have that person make the case as to why it's sim that he is traded. Because for example I could make a good case as to why Russell Wilson could be traded despite winning a superbowl at a early age and having a good rating

priestmvp

Starter
Yeah league I was in you submitted your 2 players on O and 2 on D but commishes have to approve. Helps protect teams in case you have any owner turnover.

pack1797

Staff member
Our cap penalty rules prevent a lot of the higher played players from being traded. I agree with the idea that trading free agents and rookies in the year you sign them should be off limits.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Another thing that we have been discussing is the overall layout of the rule book. We know it is five pages and isn't the most thrilling piece of text you will ever read. But we do have guys that either don't read it at all or only glaze over it. Any thoughts or ideas on how we can engage guys to read it and understand it? We don't want to waste anyone's time who doesn't want to play this brand of Madden. But we do need those that do play to understand an abide by the rules...

B

BlackPaw

Just catching up to the thread. I would agree FA signings shouldn't be traded the same year they are signed. I don't recall a rookie being traded since Eli and Rivers were swapped on draft day. Sounds like we are all in agreement there.