reds/mets trade - VETOED

Status
Not open for further replies.
the reds are looking to try to improve their money situation for the next couple of years, while also adding a young starter an older proven starter and a minor league bullpen guy.
the mets are trying to add hitting to their line up that they believe will compete for a world series with by adding Hafner and Philips and believe that they have the pitching in house to replace Snell and Hernandez. Mikeltheking jonahj hunkydory @allan ShaneM86 px1_league_2008-04-04_18-10-44.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-10-52.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-10-59.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-11-09.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-11-21.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-11-45.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-12-00.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-12-09.jpg px1_league_2008-04-04_18-12-19.jpg

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I said it might. Like I mentioned before,I dont think anyone considered whatever cash was being offered bc we couldnt see it.

Look at it this way.

Grilli - Hernandez = wash

Hafner is 30 with a bad contract but is a big bat
Snell is only 26 and an elite SP

The value there leans Snell bc he's younger and its SP which is hard to come by. The fact that he's at the end of his contract is minimal bc its the Mets and they should be able to re-sign him.

Then you have a very good closer prospect and some extra value from Snell for..

A career .250 hitter in Phillips with a bad OPS. Only plus is his fielding.
A decent 26-year-old pitcher with medicare stamina
A 31-year-old minor league pitcher

I think Phillips and, even moreso, Burnside are the issues holding it up. Burnside has ZERO value. The Mets are really trading a good, old SP for another one and then getting a big bat with a bad contract for a Cy Young contender and premier closer prospect. I think a 27 and under 3-star player or prospect in place of Burnside would alleviate most concerns IMO

hunkydory

Staff member
Yeah a lil bit more value from the Reds would make it easier to approve. Also Phillips having NO popularity whatsoever pushes it more to deny

Last edited:
Phillips is actually a guy he was targeting, for the last two years. And burnside i threw in because hes been hot in the minors for the last 2-3 years. I feel like things are being cherry picked. How is snell an elite sp if his stats have declined every year hes been in the majors, but phillips who is 26 and a three star is diminished for not having great stats(in which hes had flashes of good years) and hasnt had a chance to start because hes behind one of the best ss in the league. Snell has a worse career era than hanrahan, and hernandez has a .15 better career era than grilli, i honestly dont see why this is a question, yes i think im winning the trade in the long run but somebody has to win a trade and its clear we arent trying to cheat on either side(not that i think thats what anyone is saying) but its hard to trade when we arnt allowed to trade non owned teams and the committee controls the trades which controls our teams

DerekMcFadden

Staff member
I just feel like it's too much for Hafner. A decent developmental type, or something from the Reds and I'm good with it.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
That's where your thinking is out of line with us Bravestang94 We do not believe in "winning" trades. They need to be balanced for both. Yes, development and luck can lead to "winning" trades but it should not be so obvious up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.