Quarterbacks: Impact or Bust?

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I was looking over the 2016 NFL draft more in depth the other day, and something I didn't catch at first was that there were 15 quarterbacks taken in this draft. That was a huge number in my mind. The previous year I think there were only 7 that were drafted (fact check?) Well, it got me thinking... With a huge class of QB like this, which one's do y'all think will be impactful, and which ones do y'all think will be busts? Here are the draft results:

• Jared Goff California. 1st Round 1st Overall. Los Angeles Rams
  • Carson Wentz NDSU. 1st Round 2nd Overall. Philadelphia Eagles
  • Paxton Lynch Memphis. 1st Round 26th Overall. Denver Broncos
  • Christian Hackenberg Penn St. 2nd Round 51st Overall. New York Jets
  • Jacoby Brissett NCSU. 3rd Round 91st Overall. New England Patriots
  • Cody Kessler USC. 3rd Round 93rd Overall. Cleveland Browns
  • Connor Cook MSU. 4th Round 100th Overall. Oakland Raiders
  • Dak Prescott Miss. St. 4th Round 135th Overall. Dallas Cowboys
  • Cardale Jones Ohio St. 4th Round 139th Overall. Buffalo Bills
  • Kevin Hogan Stanford. 5th Round 162nd Overall. Kansas City Chiefs
  • Nate Sudfeld Indiana. 6th Round 187th Overall. Washington Redskins
  • Jake Rudock Michigan. 6th Round 191st Overall. Detroit Lions
  • Brandon Allen Arkansas. 6th Round 201st Overall. Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Jeff Driskel LA Tech. 6th Round 207th Overall. San Francisco 49ers
  • Brandon Doughty WKU. 7th Round 223rd Overall. Miami Dolphins
Now, other than obviously Goff and Wentz, who do you think will have a bright future in the NFL? Or, do you think Goff or Wentz may not make it? Does anyone think the next Tom Brady or Ryan Leaf is in this draft? Who do you think was drafted into the right scheme fit for them? Will any of these QB's succeed after joining another team? I'm just curious as to what everyone's opinions on this huge NFL QB draft class.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Cook - Automatic bust for me he wasn't a team captain on his team and his teammates didn't like him. There is a reason why many thought he could go round 1 and went round 4. If your teammates don't like you and you party to much then your not going to make it in the NFL.

Brisset - Horrible pick by the patriots if he is even on the team next year i'll be surprised

Kessler - Another horrible pick Im not a fan of spending 3rd round picks on QB's if your a team that needs a starting. You can't afford to sit him on the bench because you need to know how good he is now. Since they will be drafting in the top 5 with a ton of draft picks. They are sit up to draft someone else next year In round 1 wasting the pack on Kessler who everyone agrees wasn't worth a pick that high

Hackenburg & Jones - both could make it just for the raw talent they have. I don't see Jones doing it in real life because he seems like a real knuckle head and those guys don't make it in the NFL. Jets have a solid team around Hack.

I like Driskel from Florida I could see him starting this year and playing well with Chip Kelly he has most the things you look for in a starting QB.

Prescott is your typical college QB who isn't going to be a successful starter in the NFL. He ran a gimmicky system in college and now can't use his speed and power in the NFL.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Cook lacks arm strength which is why he dropped ... It's the NFL and at some point need to chuck it down field ... Now he is prolly the best qb at the short passing game but that is best suited for west coast offense ... Just don't see him as a long term answer ... Journeyman backup qb at best

Hackenberg is my sleeper to stick around the longest in the league w the best results ... He already understands NFL concepts since he worked w O'Brien so he is slightly ahead of the curb IMO

Immediate impact w the best results I think will be Lynch ... Seems very athletic for his size and should have a very good nucleus surrounding him w the Broncos and the defense will help win most of their games again ultimately making his on-the-job trading much easier and more tolerable ... Take him off this team and I think a lot more growing pains to face

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Cook lacks arm strength which is why he dropped ... It's the NFL and at some point need to chuck it down field ... Now he is prolly the best qb at the short passing game but that is best suited for west coast offense ... Just don't see him as a long term answer ... Journeyman backup qb at best

Weird. Everything I've read said Cook has a cannon. Best arm in the draft outside of Cardale and Hackenberg. Just ran across them doing my NCAA rosters. I hope they are right or Connot is highly overrated in my game lol.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Weird. Everything I've read said Cook has a cannon. Best arm in the draft outside of Cardale and Hackenberg. Just ran across them doing my NCAA rosters. I hope they are right or Connot is highly overrated in my game lol.

I'm going off what some of the talking heads on draft night mentioned and yes that is weird since I just pulled up a few articles that mention he has a strong arm ... Seems to be a ton of questions about his accuracy and leadership which prolly explains why he dropped further down then most expected ... Questions about how he handles himself off the field too

But I'm sure this pic sums everything up for yall image.jpg

Jukemwr21

All-Star
georgiafan I don't think you know about the Patriots plans for Jacoby Brissett. Everything I've read says that BB is really high on him and expects him to battle Garropollo for the 2nd spot on the depth chart.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Brissett couldn't even win the starting job in college at Florida and now everything thinks its a brilliant pick just because Bill did it. In recent years the Patriots have reached on picks and that was the case once again as nobody had him going this early.

I'll name the 3rd round picks the patriots have had recently

Geneo Grissom
Logan Ryan
Duran Harmon
Jake Bequette
Ryan Mallet
Steven Ridley
Taylor Price
Brandon Tate
Tyrone McKenzie

Jukemwr21

All-Star
Brissett couldn't even win the starting job in college at Florida and now everything thinks its a brilliant pick just because Bill did it. In recent years the Patriots have reached on picks and that was the case once again as nobody had him going this early.

I'll name the 3rd round picks the patriots have had recently

Geneo Grissom
Logan Ryan
Duran Harmon
Jake Bequette
Ryan Mallet
Steven Ridley
Taylor Price
Brandon Tate
Tyrone McKenzie

I'll name another guy that couldn't win the starting job at his alma mater...Tom Brady ;)

woodsmall12

All-Star
I have to side with georgiafan on this ... I don't see brissett contributing whatsoever except as a scout team member ... And keep in mind this was a weak draft class for QBs and everyone seems to be talking up most of these QBs ... I just don't more than maybe 3 to 4 of these guys being long term starters and maybe 1 becoming an All Pro

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Matt Casell didn't even play in college and Bellichek turned him into a reasonable backup. I think it's far to early to definitely say anything was horrible or that anyone is a bust. Will be fun to look back at later though :)

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Big difference in taking a flyer on a QB in the 7th round where you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even with a super bowl team like the patriots a 3rd round pick is valuable. Just go back and look at the mid round picks the patriots have had recently. It's clear whoever making the picks isn't as smart now as they was back in 2005 when Cassell was drafted.

Jukemwr21

All-Star
Actually if you read the book War Room that details the Patriots organization with Scott Pioli (Now back with the Pats) Thomas Dimitroff (GM of the Falcons) and BB's place in the War Room it talks about how in 2005 he let his younger scouts draft for him the first 2 picks and which were Chad Jackson (huge bust) and Lawrance Maroney were the only 2 players BB had not hand selected. Ever since it's been his final say on picks and it hasn't turned out too bad for them. We will see, and I definitely recommend that book.