People to train with/People to teach

Darkskoot

Contributor
Hi wanting to find someone to help me get better at the game im pretty new to it and not very good hopingt to get abit better before the league really gets going full swing

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
No problem. I'm not great myself but I'll spar with you. I'm sure some other will too. Keep an eye on the sports gaming forums too. I'll post tutorial vids that I find and seem relevant in there as well.

veLanki

Contributor
If you have your opponent in your guard (on top of you, between your legs) you can sweep him by doing quartercircle with right stick starting from left or right and proceeding up. If you succeed you will sweep and mount your opponent and if you fail, nothing happens.

Some fighters also have more advanced transitions. You do those by holding L1 button and making that same kind of quartercircle move with right stick. With these advanced transitions you can "sweep" your opponent from side mount (he on top) to your side mount (you on top) and stuff like that.

If your chosen fighter doesn't have any of those advanced transitions then you have to keep doing those normal transitions until you get your opponent into your guard and then you can sweep him again (for example: side mount -> half-guard -> guard).

Remember that you can also block your opponents transitions by holding R2 and pressing right stick left or right depending on his movement (if he goes left, press right stick left and vice versa).

That should get you started... You should also check in-game tutorial for basic instructions for controls.

If you want to I am more than willing to spar with you. My PSN tag is veLanki.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
If you have your opponent in your guard (on top of you, between your legs) you can sweep him by doing quartercircle with right stick starting from left or right and proceeding up. If you succeed you will sweep and mount your opponent and if you fail, nothing happens.

Some fighters also have more advanced transitions. You do those by holding L1 button and making that same kind of quartercircle move with right stick. With these advanced transitions you can "sweep" your opponent from side mount (he on top) to your side mount (you on top) and stuff like that.

If your chosen fighter doesn't have any of those advanced transitions then you have to keep doing those normal transitions until you get your opponent into your guard and then you can sweep him again (for example: side mount -> half-guard -> guard).

Remember that you can also block your opponents transitions by holding R2 and pressing right stick left or right depending on his movement (if he goes left, press right stick left and vice versa).

That should get you started... You should also check in-game tutorial for basic instructions for controls.

If you want to I am more than willing to spar with you. My PSN tag is veLanki.

That was a great into to the forums! Welcome!

Gilgamesh101

Starter
veLanki, it was a good fight but here are some tips:

1) A lot of people look for the parry, so when you mix up shots, even if they are body jabs or knees to the stomach, it will mess up timing and give you free strikes on your opponent, padding your stats and could even help you secure a round.

2) Your standup game is good, you have great movement, at times though it is a bit unnecessary. The head tilt backwards is great for stopping mostly every strike, but you need to follow that up with a strike, not another bit of quick movement. If you make this a habit, you will be a bit less predictable and dominate a lot of standup exchanges.

3) Your ground game is pretty good and I know you're getting used to your fighter, but try a few submissions, eh? It doesn't hurt to be a little more aggressive when your on top, and a submission from the bottom, especially with an excellent submission artist like Demian Maia, will throw a lot of players off guard.

4) And of course, keep improving! You will get much better the more you invest and delve into the game, so why not? Just keep learning and success will be a step away.

In summary, be less predictable and mix things up! The more time you spend trying, the quicker these things will become a habit, and you will be able to pull of the surprising and effective in an instant, with your opponent baffled and you having your hand raised.

veLanki

Contributor
Thanks for the tips. For my defense I have to say that in our bout I was experiencing some delay in button commands (lag?). That is why I sometimes did double movements instead of just one.

About submissions... yeah I know Maia is great with them, but for some reason I didn't want to do those. I have been playing with Maia in ranked matches and I think I have won 3 times with submission, 2 times by decision and 2 times with knockout. I think I have only 1 or 2 losses with him. Everybody is always expecting that if you play with BJJ expert you will try to submit your opponent. Maybe I was trying to be little bit different :)

Anyway... next time we fight, I'll promise you that I will be better.

Gilgamesh101

Starter
Yeah I had a lot of lag selecting my character and I thought that it would be super laggy and I would just let myself get KOed. But it was pretty smooth on my end. Whenever you and I get the chance, we'll fight again bud.

BTW my submission defense is off the hizzy, so good luck getting me to tap.

punisher92683

Contributor
Got another question how do you hit the double leg where they pick you up and slam you? I always either do the single or the suplex