Offseason Re-Signing\Free Agency Guidelines

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Due to some unfortunate contracts being handed out previously, we have had to institute a max salary for each position. Last year's was a little more detailed and harder for us to keep track of so we wanted to try and simplify it. The goal is to easily allow owners to know what is the max salary is that they can offer if they are in a bidding war for a player. Keep in mind, however, that these are MAX salaries. The vast majority of signings should come in far below these numbers. Please don't just offer the max to every player that you are interested in. You can get most of the players you are after well below these max salaries. We expect all users to attempt to sign guys as cheaply and as realistically as possible. The max salaries are just there to cap contracts from getting crazy.

These salary maximums also keep the CPU in mind. While most of these max salaries will allow a user outbid the CPU and sign the player, the CPU has an opportunity to outbid you with these max salaries in some scenarios. We needed to do that to try and give the CPU a chance to field a team with at least a few stars as we still want to fill the remainder of our open spots before Madden 17 releases. Honestly, it will still be rare that the CPU wins, but it is still possible.

All contracts are capped at a maximum of five years (again, this does give the CPU some leverage) with players age 32 or higher having a 3-year maximum. All contracts must also include a 25% bonus. This is done to make the process simple and easy for everyone but also to prevent teams from stocking up on players with low bonuses to preserve funds.

Max Salary.png

Re-signings

In the re-signing stage, contacts are offered as total years, salary per year and bonus per year. An example of a salary offered under this system would be: You offer your 30-year old 97 OVR QB a max salary of 5 years, $18.75M salary, $6.25M bonus. That is a total salary of $25M per season and 25% of that is bonus. Here is how to calculate this: ($25M x .25 = $6.25M). The max salary is $25M, the bonus is 25% which is $6.25M which leaves $18.75M left over for base salary.

Offseason Free Agency

During offseason free agency Madden calculates things by total contract. So you offer the total years, total salary and total bonus. The salary and bonus are added together to get the total contract value. This calculation is very similar ($25M per year x 5 years = $125M x 0.25 = $31.25M bonus). Subtract $32.5 from $125M gives you $92.5 base salary.

We realize that this is a little complicated and that you will need to use a calculator when offering contracts. It is just a necessary evil right now to prevent abuse of the system. We appreciate you guys working with us to make things as realistic as possible. Please feel free to ask any questions. Good luck this offseason!

dspbuckle, Luis3250, BigTexas18, Gubber227, georgiafan, pack1797, rkjones217, Paytonno1son, Tigers20, blahblahyea7, Burns, JerseyBorn, NightHawkTH32, Danperez

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I forgot to add that you can franchise any player that you want even if the franchise value is over their max cap value.

Also, one-year contacts do not have to follow the 25% bonus rule unless they are over $1M per season in base salary ($900k with a $100k bonus is ok). In-season free agent signings do not apply. This is only for off-season re-signings and free agency.

Last edited:

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
Is there any consideration for 1 year contracts with no bonus? Sometimes you fill your roster for preseason and eventually grab someone in the draft and need to cut. I just hate adding to cap penalty for a tier 2-3 player.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Is there any consideration for 1 year contracts with no bonus? Sometimes you fill your roster for preseason and eventually grab someone in the draft and need to cut. I just hate adding to cap penalty for a tier 2-3 player.

Yeah I posted it in the post after the first one. Forgot to add it. No restrictions on one year deal for guys making $1M or less in base salary.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
And you can't always make it exactly 25% bonus because of the way the salaries are set up so just get it as close as possible. 24.5% or 25.5% is ok ;)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I mentioned this in the original post but I'll post it again as a reminder, nobody should really be offering max deals in the first week of free agency. You're still expected to negotiate like normal. If you get into a bidding war, say in week 2 or 3, then it may be reasonable to go max. Just don't want anyone just defaulting to max deals ;) We're still trying to simulate real life as much as we can. :thumbsup: Just trying to protect teams from crazy contracts

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
Remember that we base players ratings off of DaddyLeagues since schemes make players different overalls on different teams.

So if a player is 85 overall on DL but you show a 78 on madden, his max will be capped at the middle 89-80 tier, not the 79-70

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Just a reminder, the 25% bonus is not a max, it is a requirement on any contract with $1M in salary per year or more. Sorry if that was not made more clear. Please adjust accordingly.

Paytonno1son

Hall of Famer
So if the contract is less than 1mil a year, then we don't have to worry about bonus? Example, the guy I had to cut was less than a mil per year (2yr contract).