No Huddle Offense (Rule Change)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
pack1797 and I have discussed this and beginning with our Madden 16 leagues we will allow realistic use of the no huddle offense outside of just 2-minute warning situations and when losing late in games. See below for details. Keep in mind, running no huddle after out of bounds plays and incompletions is still not allowed.

Teams will now have the chance before each season to declare how much no huddle that they plan to run. We understand real life NFL teams do not have to do this. However, real life NFL teams have scouting departments. Here is the breakdown of no huddle preferences. The scheme and playbook declaration thread will have a list of playbooks that can be used for each no huddle preference.

Low – Traditional pro-style offense. May occasionally use no huddle to catch an opponent in a bad defense or on an occasional series to try and spark the defense. These teams would typically run the no huddle on less than 30% of their plays. Ex. Baltimore Ravens.

Medium – These teams use primarily singleback and shotgun formations and may run the no huddle 40-50% of the time. Examples of teams who fit this type of play style are Green Bay, Indianapolis and Denver.

High – This type of team is basically limited to the Philadelphia Eagles in today’s NFL. They run the no huddle on every play that is not an out of bounds play, incomplete pass or late-game, clock killing situation. Teams outside of the Eagles can run this type of offense subject to using one of the pre-defined playbooks which would likely be used for that style of offense in real life.

If you have an questions or comments feel free to post them here or send pack1797 a PM. This new policy has been added to the League Rules and Guidelines.

Xxclaywilliamxx, Colefolks319, Konvict27, BigTexas18, pack1797, Glen Cieske, rkjones217, Paytonno1son, BlackPaw, Kwarren3, woodsmall12, NightHawkTH32, CJTHA1, georgiafan, priestmvp, iTvizzyy, ACH_Bucks, cnorys4, JFortner4, Croutard, Ninersfan8052

I feel like this should really depend on the team. Are you giving every team the option of running whatever they want? I hope teams like Baltimore, Rams, Bengals, etc aren't allowed to choose "high" for no huddles when it isn't realistic for teams like that to do it.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I feel like this should really depend on the team. Are you giving every team the option of running whatever they want? I hope teams like Baltimore, Rams, Bengals, etc aren't allowed to choose "high" for no huddles when it isn't realistic for teams like that to do it.

Why not? We are not forcing guys to use the playbooks of the teams they have. If Chip Kelly took over the Ravens, wouldn't they then become a no-huddle, spread team? That's basically what we are trying to replicate. I think most teams will run something similar to what their team runs in real life. However, if you feel that you can/want to run the Eagles no huddle offense and you have the players to support it, why should you not be able to?

iTvizzyy

Starter
I just dont think it would be smart to make my offensive drives quick and force my defense to be on the field a lot. The Falcons D already sucks enough. If I run a little bit of hurry up it would be on Xbox with the Giants probably. But even then I probably wont run it much. It would be one of those things that differ from game to game. Every game and situation is different. But for the most part, users shouldnt expect much hurry up from me. Although I do like to throw guys off so I might slip on in here and there.

pack1797

Staff member
Again, this is a rule change with the mindset that guys will use it in a realistic way. We want to allow you the freedom to experiment and find what works. Some teams are built for this style more than others, true. But the are situations where hurrying to the line would be realistic for any team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? We are not forcing guys to use the playbooks of the teams they have. If Chip Kelly took over the Ravens, wouldn't they then become a no-huddle, spread team? That's basically what we are trying to replicate. I think most teams will run something similar to what their team runs in real life. However, if you feel that you can/want to run the Eagles no huddle offense and you have the players to support it, why should you not be able to?

That is what I am saying. If you have the players to do it, that is a different story. But teams like I mentioned before and others don't have the players to do it so if they decide to that would seem unsim IMO. But if those teams started getting the players to do so it would make more sense.

If the time makes sense during the game then there is no problem. Basically want to make sure that teams that aren't equipped for the hurry up exploiting it in games.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
We do not think it is exploitable. And you will need depth to run it even a medium amount of the time due to the way fatigue is handled now. In theory the Ravens could run no huddle if they have proper depth on offense. The Steelers started running no huddle quite a bit recently. Who would have thought that? Lol. We will see how it goes but wanted to give guys this flexibility in setting up their teams. A lot of it is going to be related to playbooks though. Most teams like BAL and STL are going to want run-first playbooks which would preclude them from running the no huddle frequently anyway.

iTvizzyy

Starter
My Falcons offense is set up to run no huddle. 3 really good weapons to throw to but the D being as bad as it is I shouldnt be making my offensive trips quick.

Croutard

Contributor
So what if someone picks 'High' but rarely does it? Is there a penalty of some sort? I want to pick high but then again, after so many hurry ups your guys get tired, drop balls, fumbles, inaccurate passes.. I'd go with medium maybe xD I'll have to lab with hurry up now lol

Last edited:

Glen Cieske

All-Star
I agree with Croutard I would like to see some sort of penalty for picking high but only using it 30% of the time.

I would say if you pick high. You have to use it 51% or higher.

If you pick medium. You have to use it 31% or higher. Up to 50% of course.

I'm good with allowing anyone running hurry up. I'm going to try and turn the Chargers offense into a Packers style offense.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I think those are reasonable Glen. If you pick medium you should be running no huddle a decent amount. If you pick high you should be running it pretty much all the time. Be sure to practice and see how stamina plays a roll before you commit to using no huddle more than you may be comfortable with