Mayock's 2018 Mock Draft v1

Mike Mayock

Prospect
1. Green Bay Packers - Saqoun Barkly, HB (Penn State)

Green Bay is in need of a play maker and there is none better in this draft than Saqoun Barkley. Barkley reminds of Barry Sanders and this is a pick that could shape the future of this franchise for the next 10 years. That being said, the Packers have many holes so a trade down here could make some sense.

2. San Francisco 49ers - Josh Rosen, QB (UCLA)

There will be a quarterback taken here, the question is which one. Rosen has showed more poise and leadership this year and I think the 49ers will choose that over a more unrefined QB in Sam Darnold.

3. Oakland Raiders - Derrius Guice, HB (LSU)

The Raiders need a right tackle but it's too early to reach for one here. They could also use defensive line help and Christian Wilkins could be a viable 3-4 DE. However, I think they go with a play maker in the backfield or try to trade down for more picks. This pick will be valuable as there is likely to be one of the top two QBs available (assuming Green Bay doesn't trade down first) so anything is possible with this pick.

4. Los Angeles Chargers - Sam Darnold, QB (USC

Philip Rivers is nearing the end of his life span as an NFL QB so the Chargers need to look at his backup. Darnold makes a lot of sense here as the local kid. He also could potentially sit behind Rivers for a season. I like picks that make sense and this one just makes too much for it not to come to fruition.

5. Philadelphia Eagles - Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB (Alabama)

The Eagles don't have many needs despite they're finish this year. Fitzpatrick is the best player available here at a position that makes some sense. I'd actually like to see the Eagles move out of this spot for an impact player or future picks, but if they stay I think they go with the Alabama DB.

6. Detroit Lions - DaRon Payne, DT (Alabama)

The Lions have been defense focuses in the most recent drafts and that trend here. They need more help at linebacker but it's too early to reach for Harold Landry at this spot. They play it safe and take Payne to solidify one of the most dangerous defensive lines in football.

7. Baltimore Ravens - Orlando Brown, OT (Oklahoma)

I hear the Ravens love Lamar Jackson but a selection here would be a mistake in my opinion. They're cap committed to Joe Falcco for the foreseeable future and they have too many needs to waste one on a backup QB who may not even make it as one at the NFL level. They take Brown to replace Rick Wagner and their offense gets a much needed jolt in the process.

8. Kansas City Chiefs - Calvin Ridley, WR (Alabama)

The third Alabama player comes off the board here with the Chiefs looking for a bonafide #1 receiver opposite Tyreek Hill. Ridley and Hill would give the Chiefs a formidable tandem on the outside and open up the middle for Kareem Hunt to do his work.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Tarvarus McFadden, CB (Florida State)

Brent Grimes is playing at a high level despite his age but his days are numbered. McFadden would be great addition opposite Vernon Hargreaves with one of them acceling in the slot until Grimes retires.

10. Indianapolis Colts - Connor Williams, OT (Texas)

The Colts need to keep Andrew Luck healthy and give him time to work from the pocket. Williams is only one of two offensive tackles worth a look in the Top 10. I think the Colts take him here and their offense improves because of it.

11. Los Angeles Rams - Harold Landry, OLB (Boston College)

there are rumors that the Rams want to part ways with Wade Phillips after just one season and go back to a 4-3. They have already acquired Dante Fowler, Jr. with that in mind. There are also rumors indicating they want to move on from Jared Goff which would be a mistake. You just can't waste a #1 overall pick by drafting a QB two years later. They'll need linebackers if they switch to a 4-3 and Landry is the best one available here.

12. New Orleans Saints - Derwin James, SS (Florida State)

New Orleans has to decide if they are all in for another year with Drew Brees or in complete rebuild mode. If they want to make one last run with Brees, James make the most sense here. He's the best player available and can play multiple positions in the defensive backfield. If the Saints move on from Brees though, expect to see Josh Allen from Wyoming go here.

13. Jacksonville Jaguars - Josh Allen, QB (Wyoming)

There's no question quarterback is the top priority foe the Jaguars. Unless he's gone by this spot, I think Allen is the right choice. There is a chance that the Jacksonville goes the free agent route to get a championship caliber QB to win now. If that happens, I expect Jacksonville to move down to acquire depth at multiple positions.

14. Buffalo Bills - Denzel Ward, CB (Ohio State)

Buffalo might be only one big time player away from an elite level defense. They took Tre'davious White last year and Ward could pair with him to form one of the best cornerback tandems in the league. I like this pick and would love to see these two locking down opposing offenses for many years down the line.

15. Dallas Cowboys - Christian Wilkins, DT (Clemson)

I know there is talk of the Cowboys moving Dez Bryant but I don't buy it. There's nobody they could take here to replace him and there's nobody on the roster that could do it either. The Cowboys have depth at defensive end even if they move on from Demarcus Lawrence. They need a disruptor at defensive tackle and Wilkins is that kind of player.

16. Miami Dolphins - Quenton Nelson, OG (Notre Dame)

Miami lacks the ability to dominate with an interior run game. Nelson would go a long way in helping improve that aspect of their offense. There's talk that Miami isn't happy with Tannehill at QB but this roster isn't that far away from contending. Tannehill is a perfectly fine QB. They just need help along the offensive line to keep him healthy.

17. Cincinnati Bengals - James Washington, WR (Oklahoma State)

The Bengals aren't high on Brandon Lafell and want a better #2 to complement AJ Green. Washington has a great combination of size and speed and could be the perfect addition to Green on the outside with Joh Ross in the slot.

18. Tennessee Titans - Arden Key, EDGE (LSU)

Both Brian Orakpo and Derrick Morgan are getting older. It's entirely possible that the Titans move on from one or both in the offseason. Key would be a perfect fit at a 3-4 outside linebacker. This team is very deep and well built. Not much else makes sense here unless they trade down.

19. Chicago Bears - Clelin Ferrell, DE (Clemson)

Chicago has become one of the better talent evaluators recently and they can find the hudden gems lurking in the grass. Ferrell is moving up draft boards and would make a great complement to Akiem Hicks at defensive end. The Bears would like to upgrade their size at wide receiver also but Ferrell is too good of a prospect to pass up here.

20. Atlanta Falcons - Christian Kirk, WR (Texas A&M)

The Falcons love to give Matt Ryan weapons to work with and Kirk is one of the most explosive talents in this draft. Kirk could replace Taylor Gabriel in the slot and be an elite kick returner. This is again one fo those picks that makes too much sense not to happen.

21. New York Jets - Vita Vea, DT (Washington)

With as many needs as the Jets have, trading down is the best option for them here. The demand for talent at the top of the draft might make that difficult though. So they'll look to fill a need at nose tackle with Vea. The Jets lack a true two-gap tackle for their 3-4 and Vea would fill that need perfectly for them.

22. Washington Redskins - Maurice Hurst, DT (Michigan)

Washington would love to add a feature running back but Bryce Love isn't big enough and Damien Harris is too similar to Rob Kelley and Samaje Perine. So they'll look to shore up one of their biggest areas of need at defensive tackle. Hurst can play at end ina 3-4 and free up Stacy McGee to move to nose tackle where he is a much better fit.

23. New York Giants - Marcus Allen, FS (Penn State)

While rumors persist that the Giants will look to a quarterback, I think Davis Webb is a fine talent and one they are happy grooming as Eli Manning's replacement. With two all-world corners and a premiere talent at strong safety, the Giants only need a free safety to solidify themselves as the top pass defense in the league. Allen would fit right in with this group and elevate New York's defense to the level of Seattle.

24. New England Patriots - Ronnie Harrison, SS (Alabama)

There's going to be a temptation here to draft Lamar Jackson as Tom Brady's replacement. With Garrapolo likely testing free agency, that's a very real scenario. However, Bellichek and company don't value a long-term project at quarterback. The need help on defense and a safety with a name very similar to one that played very well for them before would help this defense out tremendously.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Carlton Davis, CB (Auburn)

William Guy is 32 and doesn't have many seasons left as a starting cornerback. Joe Haden is approaching 30 and is unpredictable. Davis fills a depth question mark and gives the Steelers defense something to build around in the secondary.

26. Arizona Cardinals - Lamar Jackson, QB (Louisville)

The Cardinals are ready to move on from Carson Palmer despite a terrific season overall. Jackson is the type of dynamic talent that would fit in on a team with Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Matthieu and David Johnson. Arizona will likely fall over themselves trying to get this pick in should Jackson fall this far.

27. Carolina Panthers - Jerome Baker, OLB (Ohio State)

Carolina lacks depth at linebacker and Thomas Davis will be 35 next season. Baker brings a nose for the ball and the play making ability the Panthers covet. They have more pressing needs in the secondary but will look to add depth if a cornerback or safety doesn't fall to them.

28. Denver Broncos - Derek Nnadi, DT (Notre Dame)

Outside of Derek Wolfe, the Broncos defensive line lacks substantive talent. Nandi is a productive talent that could transition to end in a 3-4. Some believe Denver could look to a quarterback here. I just don't think they're ready to give up on Paxton Lynch yet and possibly waste another 1st round pick on a project QB.

29. Cleveland Browns - Malik Jefferson, ILB (Texas)

The Browns have been the biggest surprise of the 2017 season. Somehow they've pieced together a team capable of making the AFC title game and did it without a true middle linebacker. Jefferson would fill an immediate void and make this up-and-coming team even more dangerous going into next season.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Mike McGlinchey, OT (Notre Dame)

There are very teams with the depth and quality of starters across the board as the Vikings. One area they continue to struggle at though is offensive line. Mike Remmers has been underwhelming and McGlinchey could provide a needed upgrade. Billy Price from Ohio State is another option who could move to guard and help solidify the interior of the line.

31. Houston Texans - Martinas Rankin, OT (Mississippi State)

One of the few weak spots for the Texans offensively is right tackle. Rankin is a quality tackle prospect who is moving up draft boards as the season progresses. He is also versatile and can play multiple positions along the offensive line. He offers an upgrade that could help keep Deshaun Watson in the pocket and taking less hits next season.

32. Seattle Seahawks - Rashaan Evans, OLB (Alabama)

Derrick Johnson will be 35 next season and has battled injuries this season. The Seahawks need a replacement at outsdie linebacker and Evans fits the bill. Roquan Smith, an inside linebacker from Georgia, is undersized and could be a productive OLB at this level as well.