Initial thoughts on released Madden 17 features

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
EA has released the overview of features for Madden 17. There are definitely some bright spots and things that are encouraging. However, there are some large questions being posed by some of the members here. What does it all mean? Let's take a look. Let us know what you think in the comments.

image.img.jpg

We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players.

I like that we are making different types of backs play differently. Its refreshing to see power backs be more focused on trucking and stiff arms while shiftier backs get juke and spin focus. However, the new UI prompts scare me. It feels like we are getting inundated with on screen prompts. While I understand it for newer users and the casual fan, I hope it is a feature that can be disabled. It takes away from the presentation of the game and can make things far too easy for experienced gamers. We already saw that with aggressive catch and the defensive line. Hiding it would go along way in giving the casual gamer what they may want while catering to the hardcore user as well. We'll have to see if that is indeed an option.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

I LOVE this line "Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages". Gap play and force defenders have been a huge issue with this game for a long time. I'm so glad to see these areas being addressed. I think this will go a long way to containing things that tend to be exploited like toss plays and HB screens. Hopefully, blocking will be overhauled in Madden 18 and we will finally have a complete running/run defending game.

I'm encouraged by the focus on zone defense but we also heard safety play was fixed last year and it wasn't. So pardon my skepticism. I do like the inclusion of "8 new zone concepts" so that has me excited. I would expect it to be better than last year, we'll just have to see how it all works together. I am kind of reminded of NCAA 12 (I believe) when nobody could pass the ball because of the zone defense. I didn't personally mind it because you actually had to read defenses. But it was amazing how many players that considered themselves hardcore had little interest in trying to identify coverages pre-snap. I like that we are going that way though.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

This scares the daylights out of me. I LOVE that there is a focus on improving special teams. Unfortunately, EA always seems to think these improvements have to be done in a gimmicky, mini-game manner. Obviously, we don't really know how its going to work until we see the game. However, I do envision a system (like defensive line) that is too easy to dominate and we see too many blocks and it gets old quick. I want to have faith in the dev team that they tuned this well. We've just seen things like this overdone for what sim guys really like, probably trying to appease the masses. I just think the cool YouTube videos wear off after a couple of weeks and then people get tired of dealing with some of this stuff in-game. We will see but color me very skeptical early on.

So what do you guys think? Are you encouraged by the features overview? Worried? Indifferent? What are you wanting to find out about next?

Last edited:

pack1797

Staff member
I'm not sure any of this sounds promising. I can tell you now that adding arcade style button prompts to every phase of the damn game, which it sppears they intend to do, makes me hesitant to even want to give it a look.
Every time they say they fixed a aspect of defense they either didn't, or added some new feature that trumped whatever adjustments they made. For example Agg catch vs. "improved safety play.
My expectations were low going in, and I could very well wind up surprised and wrong, but as it stands this sounds like more of the same. I'm not positive that I'm up for that.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I hope you're wrong pack1797 but I can understand the skepticism. We didn't have all these on screen prompts and overdone game mechanics when 12M people were buying the game 10 years ago. I respect them wanting to cater to new users and make an increasingly complicated game easier to pick up. But you also risk alienating guys like you which, I suspect, are the majority of the 4M players that have abandoned the game over the past 10 years.

woodsmall12

All-Star
I too love the improvements to defense ... Gap play sounds like a welcome addition and I really am interested in how the new defensive zone coverages will work out ... And pattern match coverage? Hasn't that already been in the game?? Lmao

Specialized running backs is a good idea ... Like having options to get a guy that works best with my style of play (trucking,juke, etc) ... Would like to see more of this for all positions tho

pack1797

Staff member
I hope I'm wrong as well. It just sounds like they're adding more "easy mode" options, especially on offense. I doubt you can turn it off, since we can't turn off the d-line or catching mini games they added the last two years. Gap play and force defender sounds great in theory. I just hope that by adding those they didn't break something else. History shows that to be an unlikely scenario.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Rex called in to the Sim Standard Radio show and kind of debunked some of the things we are worried about. He doesn't agree with the strategy, but marketing focuses on selling the sizzle which is primarily focused on the casual guy who doesn't buy every year or the new player. So what we're seeing now isn't even a shell of what the game really is about.

He also said there were a couple of major, game-breaking types things to be announced. He did not hint towards what they are but said they were big and significantly more exciting than what we saw today.

Lastly, as the tweets above allude to, they are working towards making the game more customizable for the user (and hopefully the leagues). They have to put stuff in for the casual or new user to help them but they are also aware we do not necessarily want them and are trying to give us that option.

woodsmall12

All-Star
So Rex has to play the balancing act between marketing and the hardcore user is my take on it and not at all unexpected ... My impression is that he fights for stuff like that to ensure what we want is what we get and is somehow protected ... Well done Rex

And I do believe more individual player stuff is yet to come ... Really starting to wonder if the game will play much differently than years past ... Rex has spoken in the past about doing things differently but as majesty95 eluded to that they were a year or two away ... I think we are seeing stuff get implemented this year

woodsmall12

All-Star
So after today's info is has my mind blown ... Simply bcz I have a lot to learn just in the run game, gap assignments, etc ... Oh man this could be a long season

The RB stuff ... Sounds like substitutions will be important this year ... Or better yet, managing your players ... We have seen a lil bit of players stamina impact games over the years but this sounds like it could be more important ... Ur star RBs won't perform certain moves if they are tired so get them rest is the message I got ... This has to go for WRs and TEs too just hasn't been said yet ... So if u plan gash the end zone after a strong goal line stand then u better make sure your best RB is rested

The tackle battle is interesting ... First person to hit the button wins which is ultimately a button mashing race ... Not excited about this so let's see how it unfolds at release

Gap assignments is really revamped ... A lot of depth here ... Just hope it all works as well as intended

Defense players are flipped based on the offensive strengths when flipped ... I get that but wonder if the DBs will be allowed to put ur #1 DB on their #1 WR? This has been an ask for a while so wondering if this might be the best option at getting us there?

Excited about the depth which each position and eager to learn more ... Setting up to be a good year of madden already

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Yeah, I haven't been this excited about Madden in a long time. I love the force and crack players. Gap assignments I don't think will be that hard for guys to pick up because of the play art. But if you want to spread your linebackers and blitz your OLBs every play, there are going to be open gaps. Likewise, if you want to blitz up the middle every play, you're going to be susceptible to the toss and outside runs.

The idea is, I think, that playing smart football and trying to anticipate what your opponent is doing and covering your weaknesses will be important. Versus what we see now in just finding the loophole in the AI and exploiting it over and over. I'm really hoping that we can reduce the restrictions we put on things and let guys kind of find their own styles. As long as this all works the way they are laying it out, we potentially can.

I would suspect that if we get defensive assignments, which they were working on last year so hopefully they figured out by now, it will be announced when they announce the new zones and coverage enhancements. I can wait to see that and I am now drooling in anticipation of the revamped franchise mode. I mean, this is as in depth as the game has ever been and as excited as I have seen the Madden community in a long time, possibly ever. I think we have to temper our excitement and remember its not likely to be perfect. But dang, this has been a lot of really good stuff.