Game of the Week Thread (Season 3)

Spayer419

Starter
With live play by play gone, the leadership team wants to do something to create a community atmosphere around the league's big moments.

This thread will contain information for what we determine to be the league's Game of the Week. I'll write a brief synopsis of what to watch for with my pick and the time of the game. I'll likely be reaching out to next week's GOTW in advance so we can always have our time hammered down. Like with the live play by plays, you're not required to tune in, but try your best not to schedule your games simultaneously so that it can be the main focus of the league for that hour.

Members of the leadership committee will be sending me their picks on a weekly basis to create a Sunday Countdown type of narrative, but feel free to chime in yourselves!

Paytonno1son Gubber227 CJTHA1 Tigers20 oBUCKNUTo Glen Cieske NightHawkTH32 rkjones217 Blackhawk375 x0xHumblex0x Jbek Danperez Jukemwr21 dspbuckle Studley021 Xxclaywilliamxx Imperfect611 Luis3250 Jandy

Spayer419

Starter
Week 11
Buffalo Bills (7-2) @ Los Angeles Raiders (8-1)
When: Wednesday 1/26 at 10:30 est (9:30 cst)
Where: twitch.tv/Spayer419

What a game match up to kick off our Game of the Week series! Wednesday night's contest pits two of the AFC top organizations in a battle for conference supremacy, with the victor gaining the inside track to home field advantage in the #1 seed.

Expect both sides to use the opening quarter to feel each other out. This is the first time the Bills and Raiders have squared off, and with very few common opponents over the first two seasons, the Raiders have not seen much of the Bills on tape. I would assume the same holds true for the staff in Buffalo.

What we do know is that both clubs boast dynamic offenses, and this game could turn into an entertaining track meet with the athletes on the field. The Bills, led by 2015 MVP Tyrod Taylor, are fourth in the league in scoring with 26.4 points per game, and have been on fire as of late riding a six-game winning streak.

Not to be outdone, the Raiders are third in the league at 27.0 points per game. Derek Carr has evolved into an MVP candidate in his own right, and will use the showdown with Taylor as a stage to supplant himself as a clear choice. On the perimeter, Evonte Patrick has cemented himself as one of the elite deep threats in the league with nine touchdowns, and rookie tailback Lunior Haynes is second in the league in rushing.

Defensively Aldon Smith has been a man on fire, recording 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and a scoop and score in last week's win over the Browns. Joe Haden and Deone Buchannon are slowly coming along in shoring up the Raiders' secondary, but the Silver and Black still rank 22nd in pass defense. If the Raiders don't show improvement against the Bills, it could be a big night for Sammy Watkins and Percy Harvin.

My Pick:
It's awkward picking my own game, especially in the first GOTW thread. But the Raiders have yet to lose at home since moving to LA, and while the defense has struggled at times it's come on of late, allowing just 14 points total in the last two games. On the surface this looks like an offensive showdown, but I think the Raiders rush ends contain Taylor and LA stymies the Buffalo offense. Raiders win, 27-17.
Oakland_Raiders_zps7e2087b4.png

Jukemwr21 In this battle of Offense (Raiders) Vs. Defense (Bills) I think I'm going to have to take Bills in a close one 21-17. The Bills have been hot all three seasons, and them having a healthy Tyrod Taylor gives them that X-factor. With user teams leaving both user's divisions it's hard to gauge what will happen between the two as both teams have played mostly CPU teams this year.
Buffalo_Bills_zps8b64bb11.png

Glen Cieske I'm picking the Bills by 3. I'm predicting this game to be a shootout with the team that creates the most turnovers coming out as the winner. In the end I think the offensive weapons the bills have will end up being too much even for a very good LA defense.

georgiafan This is a huge game as the winner has the inside track at the #1 seed in the AFC. The raiders have the stats advantage but there 22nd ranked pass defense scares me going up vs Sammy Watkins. I think its more of a must win game for the bills so I like them in a close one 27-24. If raiders are gonna win they have to protect the football.

Tigers20 I'm picking the Bills 24-17 the pass defense LA is putting out there against Sammy Watkins will have a tall order if they are to defend Tyrod's arm! The winning team on 3rd down will prevail.

Last edited:

Spayer419

Starter
Week 12
Arizona Cardinals (7-3) @ Seattle Seahawks (8-2)

When: Thursday 1/28 @ 11:15 cst
Where: twitch.tv/Jandy
The GOTW series got off to a sensational start with the Raiders and Bills going down to the wire with a last-second finish. How do we follow that up? With a divisional rivalry between two teams vying for a first-round bye.

This rivalry digs its roots deeper than a pair of divisional opponents. Jandy and Jbek go back to childhood, when Jandy was leading our 6th grade baseball team as a star pitcher to a championship, while Jbek stumbled around at second base. Whether it was MLB Showdown, Halo or our dearly departed NCAA Dynasty, this friendship has always been stemmed in competition.

It's only fitting that the stakes are this high in their first matchup on the Madden field. Seattle leads the NFC West, and a win will give the 'Hawks a fairly commanding 2-game lead at this point of the season. If Arizona prevails, the two will be locked into a dead heat for the final five weeks, including a second tilt in the desert in Week 16.

It's hard to gauge how good this Seattle team is. Jandy has only been at the helm for four weeks, which includes highs like a 19-0 shutout of Dallas last week, and lows like the 34-31 collapse against the Giants in which Russell Wilson threw five picks the week before.

Arizona is not necessarily racing toward the starting gates either, coming off an eye-opening 24-0 drubbing by the Jags. If there was one silver-lining to that result, it's that rookie CJ Cole replaced Nick Foles at the half. The third-round pick out of Washington State was shaky in limited action, but could provide a spark for a far-too lethargic Cardinals offense.

Both teams are led by dominant defenses, with Arizona trailing only Seattle in points allowed per game. Richard Sherman and Patrick Peterson are two of the game's best, and will use this game as a platform to declare who's the best corner in the league.

My Pick: The Cardinals have showed a little bit more this season, especially considering that Jandy has only played a few games. This is easily the biggest user game he's played in to date, and we've seen people tighten up on the big stage. But I like the Seahawks here. Both teams feature great defenses. Seattle has the steady quarterback and home field advantage. Seattle 16-9.
Seattle_Seahawks_zps495408bb.png

Jukemwr21 Despite the Cardinals coming off of a horrific loss in which they were shut out. I think they will come in and dominate this Seahawks team that looked lackluster despite shutting out the Cowboys who are also struggling. I think Arizona wins in a landslide 31-7
Arizona_Cardinals_zpsa611361f.png

Tigers20 I'm going with Seattle here!! This Seahawks team is very well constructed and has multiple weapons on offense and defense. The team is coming off a Super Bowl win two years ago and have seemed to play with a chip on it's shoulder all year.. Maybe because last year's performance was less than average and a huge disappointment of a season for defending champs. I like Seattle here by 10.
Seattle_Seahawks_zps495408bb.png

georgiafan Its hard for me to get a read on the seahawks as they have only played 4 games and none of them vs a team with a winning record. His biggest test was vs the cowboys and had the benefit of +4 in turnovers. The cards have played a number of good user teams this year. This is the battle of the top 2 defense and I like the Cardinals big 27-13

Glen Cieske I'm taking the Cardinals by 14, 31-17. With the Seahawks under new leadership, I would expect the experience from the Cardinals to be the main factor in this game. It'll be a close one through the first half with the Cards pulling out in front at the beginning of the fourth.

Prediction Standings
Spayer (1-0)
Juke (0-1)
Georgia (0-1)
Glen (0-1)
Tiges (0-1)

Paytonno1son Gubber227 CJTHA1 Tigers20 oBUCKNUTo Glen Cieske NightHawkTH32 rkjones217 Blackhawk375 x0xHumblex0x Jbek Danperez Jukemwr21 dspbuckle Studley021 Xxclaywilliamxx Imperfect611 Luis3250 Jandy

Spayer419

Starter
Week 13
Cleveland Browns (6-5) @ Jacksonville Jaguars (8-3)

BigTexas18 Blackhawk375
@
Another week down, another GOTW matchup decided on a last minute field goal. Can we keep the momentum rolling?

There were a few games in consideration for Week 13, namely the showdown between Tennessee and Seattle. But as the season nears an end, teams with playoff aspirations are starting to face do-or-die scenarios. The Browns know this better than anyone else heading into Jacksonville this week.

In the difficult AFC, 10 wins might not even be enough to capture a wildcard birth. With that in mind, the Browns likely have to win out to make the playoffs. At minimum, they have to beat the teams standing in their way. The Jags represent one of those teams, tied for the lead in the AFC South while holding the first wildcard spot. A win by the Browns will draw them a game behind Jacksonville for that wildcard spot, while a loss will likely clinch the Jags as a playoff team.

My Pick: The Jags are a wildly efficient team, converting 89% in the redzone and 48% on third down. But I think the Browns are getting overlooked in this one. Hundley has given the offense a spark, and Cleveland can smell the playoffs with a few big wins. The already got one by whipping the Titans, and I like Tex to keep the momentum rolling, 24-16.
Cleveland_Browns_zps11d902c5.png

Jukemwr21 "The jags defense is nasty and with Hundley still learning the play style of his new coach, I don't see this going well for an offense in Cleveland that has been statistically pedestrian this season. This game we'll be decided by who can set up the run better and get some big plays out of play action. I see the jags defense winning out in this one. 21-10 Jags"
Jacksonville_Jaguars_zps833074ed.png

Glen Cieske "The Jags have too much talent. While the Browns will put up a good fight this one will be all Jags all day. The Browns are trying to reverse 30+ years of mediocrity and they are almost there, they still are missing a few pieces. Jags 24 Browns 10"

georgiafan "I've played both of these teams this year and got beat by both so I know them well. This one is simple if Browns have 0 turnovers they win if they have 1 or more then lose. If Browns want to win they also need to stop then run game and force bortles to beat them. I like jags 24-17"

Tigers20 "Gotta go with the Brownies!! They WOKE UP it seems against the Titans coming off a huge win and boosted confidence level, they will carry this momentum forward. It will be a fight however the Jags have put up some very impressive wins this year themselves. This battle will be won in the trenches.
Browns win 21-17"
Cleveland_Browns_zps11d902c5.png

Prediction Standings
Spayer (2-0)
Tiges (1-1)
Juke (0-2)
Georgia (0-2)
Glen (0-2)

Spayer419

Starter
Week 14
San Diego Chargers (8-4) @ Oakland Raiders (11-1)

When: Tonight, directly after advance
Arguably the league's most intense rivalry will get the spotlight as these two AFC West Titans meet for the second time this season. The Raiders have a chance to lock up the division, while the Chargers currently hold a wild card spot.

Many will highlight this as a must-win for San Diego, who at 8-4 has just a one-game lead over the 7th place Browns. The Chargers remaining schedule isn't particularly tough after LA, but a loss here would be a huge set back nonetheless.

On the other side it can be argued that LA is just as in need of a win against their biggest rival. While the Raiders have been dominant this season with an 11-1 record, their lone loss came at the hands of these Chargers. In fact, no team has given the Raiders more trouble than San Diego over the course of three seasons. Spayer is just 1-4 against Glen, juxtaposed against a 32-4 record against everyone else. From a psychological standpoint, it would hurt the Raiders to lose this one. Especially with a likely playoff rematch looming should the Chargers escape the wildcard round.

These users go way back to the NCAA days, with Spayer at Ohio State and Glen at Wisconsin doing battle at least once a year. With nearly 30 games of experience against one another, these match ups usually devolve into defensive chess matches, and they usually end in spectacular fashion.

Take last year for example, when San Diego stymied the Silver and Black in the red zone on countless occasions, and then connected on a 60-yard Hail Mary to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The last-second prayer sent San Diego to the playoffs, and the Raiders home on the final game of the season.

Los Angeles will look to return the favor tonight, clinching the division with a win while moving the Chargers closer to elimination.

My Pick: Hard to pick against myself here, but Glen is one of the few users that I would actually pick against myself. With that said, LA's offense has been clicking unlike any team in the league, and our weapons are too much for San Diego to handle at home. Raiders win, 28-17.

Glen Cieske "Chargers defense has been on fire as of late allowing 13.5 ppg during their 4 game win streak. While their offense is averaging 29 ppg during the same win streak. Aerion Hunter has been on target, committing zero turnovers in the last 5 games."
San_Diego_Chargers_zps9faa8fef.png

Jukemwr21 "I feel like the Raiders might take this one. David Carr has matured into the franchise QB. That offensive unit is something fierce as is the Chargers! I think this ends in a shootout 42-35 in OT with a Raiders walk off TD"

Tigers20 "I've been back and forth with this one. But the Raiders look to be on a mission and it's hard to pull against them here, however the Chargers have found themselves in a must win situation. With that being said the Chrgers will squeak past the on fire Raiders to stay in the playoff conversation 24-21 Chargers!"

georgiafan "I'm also torn on picking with 2 good teams and with my track record so far this year. Its hard to pick against the raiders are 11-1 with all kinds of impressive stats to back it up. But that 1 loss was vs the chargers and they need the win to avoid falling behind the browns for the 6th spot. I'll say chargers 24-21 on a last second FG."

Prediction Standings
Spayer (3-0)
Tiges (2-1)
Juke (0-3)
Georgia (0-3)
Glen (0-3)