Cold Hard Facts | S2 W13

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Cold Hard Facts.jpg

It's time for Cold Hard Facts where we present a member of the league a six-pack of questions about a something going on in the league. This week, we ask pack1797 about the NFC and whether they have what it takes to compete with a dominate group of AFC teams.

1. The defending champion New Orleans Saints are 10-1 and could easily be undefeated had owner beeswarm not had to take a brief leave of absence. The only other teams with at least 8 wins are the CPU controlled 49ers and Eagles and majesty95 Vikings. Is there anybody in the NFC that can knock off the defending champs?

NFC S2 W13.png

2. Let's say the Saints once again come out of the NFC. Who do you see as the favorite to represent the AFC in this year's Super Bowl and can they beat the champs?

AFC S2 W13.png

3. We've seen the AFC beat up on each other for the first two seasons of the league. They are kind of like the SEC in that way, a lot of good teams at the top and all battling for the same prize. What separates the AFC and NFC? Are there just better teams over there or did they just get better owners?

4. There are a few teams in the NFC that were expected to be contenders but haven't lived up to expectations. What's it going to take for the Seahawks, Cowboys and Packers to get back on top?

5. Most people expect that once Drew Brees calls it quits that the Saints are going to take a significant step backwards. They are built to win now. What is the next team or teams that are poised to take a step up and compete in the NFC?

6. Once the Saints do start declining, will we see a run of titles from the AFC? Are they just too strong top to bottom? Or are one of those up-and-coming NFC teams capable of keeping the NFC competitive?

pack1797

Staff member
1. The Saints are the team to beat in the NFC, plain and simple. Since last season's Super Bowl, they haven't missed a step. Are they unbeatable? Not at all. I don't see Beeswarm and his saints as vulnerable to a Cpu team as they are to a user team. The Vikes are a threat to them, because I think the coaches are very different in their approach. They also haven't played each other yet, so they have no history. The NFC is a mess, but there are teams that you can't overlook because their record is less than stellar. My hope is that we have a user vs user super bowl again this year.

2. If we're going to name one team as the favorite, right now you have to say the Patriots. They've had suspended players, and they just keep winning. That being said, they still have to play the Bills twice, who are hot on their heels at 10-1. That Bills defense is built to pressure the QB, and that creates problems for guys like Brady and Brees. I also want to mention Browns, who currently lead the north, and we're the first team to beat the saints in our league. That Browns team has only gotten better.

3. I believe coaching makes the difference. There are teams that have more talent than others, but talent doesn't equate to wins. You see teams that are very mediocre in the NFL, but are serious contenders in our league like the Bills, Vikings, etc. The difference is in coaching. Which of course is a direct reflection on ownership.

4. I can't speak for the other owners, so I'll just talk about my team, the Packers. The packers have call the talent on the field, but it comes down to coaching. I can say with certainty that I've lost the games I have because of coaching mistakes. Some guys complain about the CPU being to tough, but everyone has to play them, so that's a moot point. The Cowboys made the post season last year, but are having a rough go of it this season. I think that speaks to the level of competition in the league.

5. The great thing about this game is that teams can turn it around from one season to the next. As far as what I've seen, the Vikings, Bears, and others are seemingly a step away from going on a run. Whether it's sustainable remains to be seen.

6. If the Saints decline after Brees is through, I doubt the landscape will remain the same league wide. Yeah, the AFC is stacked right now. But that could change by next season. We have several owners that have already improved since last season, and new owners may come in to change things up even more. There are no sure things in this league, and that's what makes it fun.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if NE and BUF remain dominant in a the post season. KC was the team to beat there last year. NO lost a few games late in the season last year but then looked unbeatable in the playoffs. Lots of questions to be answered in the next few weeks.

pack1797

Staff member
The issue in KC is at quarterback. At this point, you can't bet on Shipley to win you games. The team that intrigues me is the chargers. They seemed to be one injured QB away from the super bowl.