Coach Spotlight Season 2 Week 6 - San Diego Chargers

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
San_Diego_Chargers.png

San Diego
Chargers
AFC West
5-1

Alot to get to today coach! Thanks for taking time out of your day, lets jump into this!

Last year you finished the regular season at 9-7, and barely made a wildcard spot for the playoffs. Then your team kicked it up, and you went all the way to the AFC Championship before falling to the Chiefs. Not too shabby in your first year! This year you're currently sitting at 5-1. The AFC West is still tight however, with the Broncos at 4-1, Chiefs 4-2, and Raiders 3-3. You play the Chiefs week 15, and the Broncos week 17 to close out the season, this division could come down to those games. Describe the competition in this division, and how do you feel about your chances of making another late season run like you did last year?

This division is crazy. Every game in the AFC West is a dogfight and anyone can beat anyone on any given day as everyone has seen. I'm confident that we can make another deep playoff run this season get to the Super Bowl. After having an entire season with the team I feel more confident that we have the right group of guys to get to the big show this year.

You played the Ravens last year in the AFC Divisional Game, in snowy conditions, and ended up winning to go on to the AFC Championship. The Ravens got their chance at a rematch this year, and Chargers still held them at check winning 27-17. Key to the game was 4 turnovers by way of 3 fumbles and 1 INT. Your defense was out to make a statement. Your defense is 2nd in the league in fumble recoveries. What statement do you feel was made by this defense last Sunday?

The game against the Ravens last season was crazy. I knew Konvict would circle us on his schedule this season. He played a tough game and had me on the ropes. Our guys did a good job of hanging around and our D came up big in the second half pitching the second half shutout and getting 4 take aways. We have some head hunters on this team with high motors and they're hungry. I think they made a huge statement maybe against one of the best teams in the AFC and to do it on the road just makes it that much more impressive. It's a testament to how well these guys prepare.

We have to talk about Ryan Mathews. His current season stats are 126 carries 556 yards 4.4 average and 6 TD with the biggest stat being 0 fumbles. He had 5 fumbles in both 2010 and 2011, then three in all three years 2012, 2013, and 2014 for a total of 16 in 5 years, but has been on the decrease, and never increased. With 0 so far this year it seems as if he has learned how to hold onto this football. He's on pace to shatter his career season stats, and have his best year. Has this first round pick from 2010 finally come into his own? How is having this strong running game motivating the rest of the team?

Ryan is a guy that we really value and see huge potential in. We were glad we could resign him last offseason. I think the biggest thing for him is staying healthy, which he hasn't been the past few seasons. As a staff, we shifted our focus to running the ball more this year to really open up the offense and Ryan has stepped right into that role and is having a breakout season. Our offensive line has been great and Ryan is making the most of every chance he gets with the ball. If he can stay healthy, he will have a pro bowl caliber season.

Big contract year for alot of the team. Corey Webster, Marcus Gilchrist, Kendall Reyes, Dwight Freeney, Eric Weddle, Michael Floyd, Philip Rivers, and Melvin Ingram are all on contract years. Does anyone in the organization feel this is kind of a do or die year? If you make it back to the Super Bowl this year, does everyone earn a contract? Who are they key guys this organization needs to lock up, because you feel this is what is going to help your team win year after year?

This team is ready to win now and is built to make a deep run and hopefully a Super Bowl win. This is a huge year for us and our staff. Phillip (Rivers) is obviously a guy that we have built this offense around. We would love to lock him up and have him lead our offense for years to come. Drafting Donovan Hairston at receiver was a solid pickup for our team. I think he can replace Malcolm as the number 2 guy. Obviously we love Floyd and would welcome him back if all works out. Our defense is our pride though and we need these guys back next season. All 5 of those guys are huge parts of the defense and without them, this team wouldn't be anywhere close to as good as they have been. Kendall Reyes is now a young veteran that leads our very young defensive line. We need him for his leadership and obviously his play. Melvin is a stud and is a young player with a bright future so obviously we want him back. Freeney is interesting as he is 35 years old now and nearing the end of his career but confident in the depth we have. Webster is a solid corner but he has 2 young corners right on his heels in Jason Verrett and Brandon Ghee. Eric Weddle is a guy we have to have back as a captain of our defense and big play safety. The biggest guy I think we need to re-seign is Marcus Gilchrist. We weren't able to sign him last offseason so we applied the franchise tag and will do whatever it takes to bring him back because he has proven to be one of the best strong safeties around with his high motor and big hit mentality.

A few weeks ago, Denver surprisingly traded Manning to division rival Oakland Raiders. How did you feel seeing this? Do you think Peyton is a bigger threat with his new team than he was on the Broncos, or does it not even matter in your mind?

Peyton is a great quarterback, he has proven that year in and year out. I was shocked at the in division trade that was made between the 2 teams but it does't change how this team will approach each week. We have seen him plenty and will be ready when it's time to face off against him.

Like we covered earlier, you've been lining them up and mowing them down. 5 game win streak. Do you feel any teams pose a threat to you getting to the superbowl, and if so what team whether its in or out of division. Is this team going to make it to the Super Bowl this year?

We have been playing great after a rough opener against Oakland. Our defense has been great and our offense has been improving every game. The AFC west in my mind is the best division in football right now as any one of the 4 teams can win a championship. Outside the division, I think the Ravens and Patriots are always tough and the Bills have been rolling this year but we can't get ahead of ourselves. The only game that matters right now is Sunday vs Detroit. We take it week by week and if we perform the way were capable, we will get to the Super Bowl and have a great shot at winning it all.

Well, there you have it! The Chargers are red hot and are planning on keeping that going! If there's two things the people of San Diego love, it's their San Diego Chargers and Ron Burgandy.

san-diego-chargers.jpg

#BoltUp