Coach Spotlight Season 2 Week 13 - Minnesota Vikings

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer

Glowing-Minnesota-Vikings-Logo-Wallpaper.png

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
NFC NORTH
8-4
Thanks for taking time out to chat with me majesty95, why don't we get this started!

Right now you're 8-4, riding a 2 game win streak, and looking to take charge over what some would call a weak division this year. You missed the playoffs last year. How does being 4 games above .500, in first place, and ranked 11th in the power rankings feed this team? What do your guys need to do to keep the momentum going and clinch this division?

At one point last year I believe we were ranked in the Top 10 in the power rankings. After starting off 0-5, we went on a pretty good run, but still missed the playoffs. Nothing is guaranteed in this game. You go out and play hard each and every week and hope for the best. That's all we can ask of our guys.

I'm going to jump right into this one, because this is the hot spot of the team. Jerick Mckinnon. 2nd year man out of GA. Southern. He wasn't supposed to get his opportunity this quick, but with the blockbuster deal sending AP to Miami, he got his shot his rookie year, and boy did he ever deliver. He rushed for 1,049 yards in his rookie season scoring 10 touchdowns and averaging 5.2 YPC. This year he has even stepped that up rushing for 1,369 yards with 13 TD, and averaging 6.5 YPC. his YPG average is up as well from 65.6 to 114.1. How his this young man handled the pressure of being the go to guy so quickly, and how has he inspired this offense to keep pushing all the way to the end of the season?

You gave me chills talking about Jerick (laughs). Seriously though, we could not have hoped for anything better from him. We had no idea how he was going to handle being the feature back. We wanted to bring in Ronnie Brown last year but our financial situation at the time didn't allow for that. So we rolled the dice with Jerick and boy did it ever pay off. We couldn't be more pleased with his performance and what he has meant to this team. Its a lesson to not only our team, but every team. Work hard and make the most of opportunities that are given to you and anything can happen.

Bridgewater is also a 2nd year man in this league. He has led this 8-4 team at the ripe age of 22. Teddy and Johnny over in Cleveland are the 2 standout young QB's who often get compared to each other and probably will be their whole careers. This year Teddy has a 89.1 QBR, 1,913 Pass Yards, 17 TD and 14 INT. From a 2nd year man you have to be happy with those numbers. We expect the INT number to drop over time as well. With a back like McKinnon, that also relieves alot of pressure off of Bridgewater. Is Teddy the QB of the future for this team and league? What does he need to improve on as he grows in this Viking system?

Absolutely, Teddy is the QB of this team. The league, well, I'll leave the prognosticators to figure that out. Teddy has made a lot of strides this year. The important thing for him is to limit his mistakes. Sometimes he forces things and they lead to turnovers. Its a growing thing and it will get better with time. He had 31 TD and 4 INT his last year at Louisville. He's a smart player and we fully expect him to lead this team to great success for years to come.

Your teams median age is 25. One of the youngest in the league. With this team making a playoff push already, and being so young, this has to be a good sign for the future. What do you attribute to the success of the young team? Is it the coaching? Is it the scouting of good young players? Or is it just flat out young players exceeding expectations, and being happy for the opportunity?

I think it is a combination of coaching and the players. Great coaches can only get so much out of limited talent. And great talent can only go so far without great coaching. So its a combination effort. We love how young we are and the great nucleus that we have. We hope that it translates into many years of success and that we can finally bring the state of Minnesota a Super Bowl trophy in the future.

Is it safe to say Minnesota Vikings 2015 NFC North Champs? You're looking good for a playoff spot this year. If you are to make the post season, who is your team to beat? Who do you want the chance to play to make it to the big show? A lot of speculation is the Saints are the team to beat in the NFC. The fans of Minnesota want a Super Bowl!!

The Saints are the defending champs so they are obviously the team to beat. No matter who we play though, it will be a challenge. But we have to get there first. One week at a time. Then we'll see where we are. There are a lot of tough teams in this league and nobody is an easy out. Bring your A game every week or you will likely be watching the club house at your local golf course.

Before we wrap up, is there anything else you'd like to say to the fans, league, or media?

To the fans I say thank you for your support. We are constantly striving to bring you a championship team. To the league I say, watch out. Our team is young and hungry. If you have to come to Minnesota in December or January, bring short sleeves and flip flops. Its beautiful weather here :). To the media, this is the greatest league on the planet. Get the word out! Everyone should be exposed to the great thing we have going here!

Skol!

"Skol Vikings, let's win this game,
Skol Vikings, honor your name,
Go get that first down,
Then get a touchdown.
Rock 'em . . . Sock 'em
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Go Vikings, run up the score,
You'll hear us yell for more. . .
V-I-K-I-N-G-S
Skol, Vikings, let's go!"

Last edited by a moderator: