Cleveland S2 Week 2 review

Cornhuskerkid02

Contributor
And the first game of the Tim Couch ownership group is in the books. After the sale of the team went through, Tim Couch and his staff said that no changes would be made to coaching staff or any of the upper management. Couch went on to say, "My goal is turn this franchise around. It's going to a build that will hopefully win in the short term, but a true competitor in the long term. No short cuts will be taken, and we will use the rest of the year to evaluate our staff, from the top to bottom." Couch said his focus for offense would be on the ground, despite having one of the greatest quarterbacks in Drew Brees. Couch said the lack of weapons on the outside for Brees to connect with is concerning and strength of the team is in the Offensive line and Duke Johnson.

This new gameplan certainly showed in the Browns first game, a 17-10 slugfest. The game started slow for both teams, but an explosion in the 3rd quarter where the Browns account for over 200 yards. Two big plays, a 75 yard run for Duke Johnson and a 60 yard catch by recently acquired Jason Clifton were a major reason behind the explosion. The Browns ran for 182 yards (Duke finished with 15 carries for 157 yards) and 207 yards passing (Drew Brees went 15 for 21 222 yards 1TD 1INT.) The Browns defense held the Bears in check for most of the game, aided by 4 sacks. The Bears finished with 300 total yards, 64 rushing and 236 passing. Jeremy Langford was held to a putrid 2.9ypa (22att for 63yds) and Cutler went 14 for 23 for 262 yards w/ no TDs or picks.

Both teams lost a fumble inside the opponents 10 yard line. Brees' interception was the only other turnover from the game. All in all the Browns have a reason to be excited with new management, a new style and the hope to build in the future.

Cornhuskerkid02

Contributor
Tim Couch??? Oh man, these guys are destined for bad things :confused:

Tim when asked about how his past may affect fan morale responded by saying, "Even through my tough time as a player, I saw these fans come out and support our team. At times it was tough, but I'm grateful for the opportunity and the connections I made as a player. I also say first hand of how not to handle a team and I hope to learn from my mistakes as a player, and the mistakes that previous ownership made and turn this ship around."

Safe to say, Browns fans are on edge about this ownership move.

Last edited: