Bills 2018 Draft Class Analysis

Which Rookie will have the Highest Impact in 2018?

• Christian Kirk

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sam Darnold

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Josh Adams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaire Alexander

• Mark Andrews

• Keishawn Bierra

• Daniel Carlson

• Damon Webb

• Undrafted Free Agent Signing

• Total voters

Sanch0526

Contributor
maxresdefault.jpg

Round 1, No. 6 Overall: Christian Kirk

My Take: Coming as a bit of a surprise here that the Bills passed on James Washington to go with the speedier Kirk, they obtain a dynamic talent that adds the extra element of being able to make an immediate impact in the Return Game. Having a capable returner was something sorely missed with the departure of Marquise Goodwin during Free Agency prior to last season. While needing much development as a Route Runner, the 5'10" 202 lb wideout will eventually be able to stretch the field in order to open up things for the offense. While I think Kirk would initially struggle on the outside, I think he can excel at the slot position, and be a Tyreek Hill, T.Y. Hilton, and Jarvis Landry type player.

Round 1, No. 7 Overall: Sam Darnold

My Take: I have to admit that it was a bit painful to see Darnold, projected by many to be the #1 overall pick, sit by and see six players taken in front of him. Not quite as long of a wait as seen in years past with Matt Leinart and Aaron Rodgers but hopefully Darnold harnesses that chip on his shoulder much like Rodgers has to become a star. Tyrod Taylor is in the final year of his deal and has not kept it a secret that the selection of Darnold has signaled the team's desire to move on - The Bills have given his agent permission to pursue a trade. I think Darnold has a chance to be special, and I believe in his talent long-term. He absolutely has to get his turnover issues sorted out and that statrts with leaning on a great rushing attack led by LeSean McCoy. Darnold has a big frame (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), makes quick decisions and is an accurate, natural passer. I'm excited to see what he can do with a solid O-line, dynamic runners like the aforementioned McCoy, Josh Adams and Charcandrick West, big pass catching tight end Charles Clay and the combination of size and speed on the outside at wideout. I potentially see an AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year in his future if Taylor is moved.

Round 2, No. 47 Overall: Josh Adams

My Take:
I've often been quoted in saying that your 1st and 2nd Round Picks must start...they must start. It's hard to argue with the talent Josh Adams brings in combined with being an outstanding character guy from a great family. "He's so talented, he's got the size, he's got the speed, but what sets Josh apart is who he is," said Notre Dame offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey, who grew up near Adams. "He's as good of a person as you can come around in this game." At 6'2" and 225 lbs, the heir apparent to LeSean McCoy was almost impossible to bring down at Notre Dame this past year where he led all FBS Backs with runs over 60 yards and yards per carry (8.7). Ongoing injury concerns for McCoy make it almost imminent that Adams will see more than his fair share of carries this season.

Round 3, No. 71 Overall: Jaire Alexander
My Take:
A preseaon All America candidate, Alexander's season was hampered with a lingering broken bone injury in his hand. "I took the necessary precautions and am 100% and ready to give it my all for the team this year," Jaire said in a phone interview after he was selected. Alexander recorded 39 tackles and 5 interceptions during his Sophomore season at Louisville and will lineup well against slot receivers this season. "I'm excited to get to work and learn everything I can from a great veteran like Malcolm Butler and get some great first hand knowledge from last year's rookie standout Tre'Davious White." Perhaps a little early for a player that missed so much of last season but there is no denying the raw talent here at a position where the Bills are very top-heavy. Alexander will have plenty of time to get settled into the system and will much better for it.

Round 3, No. 79 Overall: Mark Andrews
My Take:
At 6'5", 255 lbs. Mark Andrews may be the steal of the Bills draft at number 79 overall. A favorite target of Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma last season, Andrews was a sure-fire reliable red zone target that recorded 7 or more TD's in each collegiate season. He will be a matchup nightmare for NFL defenses,” Mayfield said prior to the draft. “He has tight end size and receiver-like agility in the open field." His run blocking techniques leave mush to be desired and is something that he will need to develop as the season goes on.

Round 4, No. 111 Overall: Keishawn Bierria
My Take: The Bills depth at Linebacker is a huge question mark heading into this season. It seems as though they hung their hopes on signing Nigel Bradham in Free Agency. The lack of depth leaves the door wide open for the 6'1" 225 lb Bierria to possibly start on the outside at Linebacker. He enjoyed some success at Washington with regard to getting to the QB. His overall speed and quickness will be what he relies on early as he hones his coverage techniques. Look for Bierria to be more of a band aid rather than a long term solution at Outside Linebacker.

Round 5, No. 143 Overall: Daniel Carlson
My Take: Undisputed as the best Kicker coming out of college this year, Carlson will be major competition for Steven Hauschka for the Kicking duties this year. Look for Carlson to edge the battle out and be the future at the position for the Bills.

Round 7, No. 207 Overall: Damon Webb
My Take: Few 7th round selections actually find themselves on the opening Sunday roster but this kid out of The Ohio State Buckeyes Program has a great shot to be there for the opener. Great speed and raw talent combined with playing for a top program and NFL level coaches make Webb a great pick at 207. While he's probably not going to be making any starts at SS for the organization, he's got a great chance to make plays on Special Teams and impact games.