All Madden16 ratings from EA

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Can someone highlight the issues here? I don't have time to sort through it all right now and some of the convo is lost as the Live Chat only stores the last 20 messages or so

woodsmall12

All-Star
I haven't noticed any issues but what I have noticed is ...

In relation to Speed
- 9 players with 96 / 97 speed ... 2 HBs at 96 and the rest are all WRs ... highest rated OVRs at 73 for speed guys
- 2 HBs at 96 spd: C. Grant 58 ovr and D. Archer at 68 ovr and the next highest is 93 spd ... 4 players here: Spiller, Coleman (R), McKinnon, Seastrunk
- 16 QBs w 84+ spd ... R. Wilson at 86 spd surprised me
- 4 LBs (all positions included) at 90 to 92 spd (Askew 60 ovr, A. Barr 85 ovr, Shazier 76 ovr, B. Watts 61 ovr)
- 23 WRs at 93 to 97 spd versus 24 CBs at 93 to 97 spd
- ACC peaks at 97 acc ... 14 players that range from 95 to 97 ... Rodgers-Cromartie at 88ovr and everyone else is rated 74 and lower

In relation to QB:
- Best Throw Power is Stafford at 99 and Cutler at 98 ... surprised Mettenberger at 95
- Manziel has a 55 AWR

pack1797

Staff member
If the rankings are consistent across the board, it should work. There are gonna be outliers, but we have to see how it runs before we can make any kind of real judgement.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
It is interesting that Charles got a 92 SPD while six other guys are 93+.

I don't know about Askew or Watts but I think Barr and Shazier are solid at 90+ SPD.

It is also interesting the Calvin Johnson was what 89 SPD and 23 guys are 93-97? Has he regressed in speed in real life? I think he ran like a 4.34 at the combine but he has gotten older so maybe he isn't as fast?

I can see how people are kind of confused an in some area maybe rightfully so. But based on the sample size that woodsmall12 gave, it is balanced even if some of the individual players some may not agree with.

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
In general like wood said the big name elite guys got hurt with speed and most of the high speed are unknown young guys with Low overalls. On the Titans they at Wr Jacoby ford and Clyde gates both have 93 speed.

They are some head scratching cases like how chargers te Ladarius green a 6'6 240 TE and no production still in the nfl is faster (89) then the following guys Randall Cobb, lynch, megatron, tied with djax, etc

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, who says Green is not a fast TE? And who says Marshawn Lynch is that fast? lol. I've never considered Lynch to be fast. Calvin Johnson is the big head scratcher but is he still the 4.34 guy from the combine or has he slowed a little as he's gotten older? I truly do not know. I'm just asking the question.

I do think some people jump to conclusions and assume what they think somebody should be but don't really have evidence to back it up. I'm not saying that comparison is wrong, but how do we know it is right? Have we seen Randall Cobb outrun a guy that has caught Green from behind? Did we see Megatron blow past DBs rated higher than him this year? Could there be some logic in these ratings?

I made rosters for NCAA for a lot of years. I know the job is extremely difficult and you can never please everyone. Maybe that makes me a little more cautious than others in criticizing them but I can believe they did not have some logic involved in making them. And I wonder if maybe we're just jumping on the bash bandwagon instead of trying to understand what might have went into the decision.

woodsmall12

All-Star
Wonder if it has something to do with YAC or avg yds / catch?? He obviously dropped a bit in regards to productivity

Reggie Bush at 87 spd but makes up for it with 93 acc ... still not sure how he computes to 87 spd

The head scratcher is Marshawn Lynch ... hard to believe he is 85 spd ... there is 112 RBs faster than Lynch

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
Green did run fast at the combine a few years back but overall I'm not gonna go crazy and complain about the ratings until I see how they play. But in the meantime its fun to talk about.

hey majesty you check out this ratings for your soon to be boy Chris Conley 94 speed, 93 acc, 91 agi, 97 jump, at 6'3 and a 79 catch which is higher then it should be.

priestmvp

Starter
Right now a lot of head scratching going on with speed they have given some and what they have taken from others most notably proven elite players who have torched defenses deep consistently guys like Calvin Johnson, Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin etc guys who they have given speeds of 89 and 92 to respectively. Meanwhile you can have a LB with 91 speed.

Honestly to break it down as simply as possible if we lined up all these guys and let them race down the field does anyone honestly think it would be that close?? Head scratchers for sure. Can't wait to see how this plays out

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Do we know Shazier and Barr can't out run Megatron? I know Barr is fast as hell. Has Megatron slowed? I'm used to Charles around 97 but has he slowed? You could probably speak to that more than anyone.

What is the big issue with the speed ratings anyway? I'm not saying thy are perfect and I agree that some are a little confusing, but what is the biggest worry?

priestmvp

Starter
The fastest Barr has ever run I believe is a 4.44 at a ucla pro day I would certainly bet on Barr to come in last if you lined him up with Johnson, Jackson, Wallace, Harvin etc and I don't even think it would be close at least not if it's over 20yds

And no Charles still has deep speed but guess they are just downgrading all the vets speed. The problem will be with current rooks and future madden generated rooks all having 90 plus speed so hopefully that's not the case.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
And combine numbers don't equal field speed. Some guys are slow at the combine but play fast. Others run fast but never really show their speed on the field. Many guus prepare for months just to boost their combine numbers. Many of them flake out after being drafted. Not sure relying solely on combine numbers is the most "realistic" way to gauge how guys would play in game.

priestmvp

Starter
Of course relying solely on combine 40 times isn't how it should be done but it's the way they have always done it. It's what happens when you don't have diehard football people working on the game they just don't know players well enough to know any different. Speed ratings are off period. But hopefully gameplay is spot on and all the drafts aren't full of usain bolts at every position.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
That's what I don't understand. You are making these definitive statements. Do you know who is doing the ratings now? How do you know they aren't a diehard football fan? Are you suggesting that a company with a $300M project just grabbed some guy off the street to do one of the most important jobs on that project?

And what does "off period" mean? Every player in the game is rated incorrectly? Not one player has a speed that you can agree with?

You see what I'm getting at here? You are making a huge deal about speed. First, I think a handful of guys don't make sense compared to what we've seen previously. But does that make the entire roster crap? Does it make the entire game garbage just because you, not necessarily everyone, disagree with some ratings?

And you do realize that the difference between a 4.3 guy and a 4.5 guy over 100 yards is a it 4 yards, right? 95% of NFL plays are 20 yards or less. So we're talking about a difference of less than 3 feet, or half a stride, for 95% of plays.

I'm not trying to dismiss that you may not agree with some of the ratings. I'm just challenging that thought. A. What proof do you have that the ratings are that bad and B. Will it even make that big of a difference in game?

Last edited:

priestmvp

Starter
:confused: You're right majesty maybe they have a full room of diehard knowledgeable football people for all I know. What I do know is what they have done in the past to this date so hey maybe it will be different guess I'll keep my opinion and reserve final judgement until game is in my hands.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I hear you. I just know they have brought in new people to work on the game over the past couple of years. I truly think those guy want to put forth a great project. And we know Donny Moore stepped away so the ratings philosophy was going to change.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with stuff. I just haven't seen one video from last year proving any of these ratings wrong. ;) I've also been someone who was super critical of EA in the past but I've realized that if everyone judged me solely by some of the decisions I have made in the past, I'd probably have to crawl in a hole and never come out lol.