1987 Baseball Time Machine

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
After perfecting time travel in 1985, Marty and Doc set out for an even more ambitious goal, transport more than just themselves through time. In 1987, they achieved their goal by converting their flux capacitor to a 1987 Buick GNX. While not the most spacious, it allowed the transportation of up to four people plus the driver.

Being the big baseball fan that he was, Marty wanted to use their new found technology to impact his beloved game. The 1987 season had just concluded with the improbable Minnesota Twins defeating the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series. Could Marty and Doc change the outcome of the '87 season by bringing players Back to the Future?

They Need Your Help

Marty and Doc want your help to accomplish their 1987 baseball redo. They have broken the 1987 teams up into four groups. Each group will be able to bring a set number of players from their past or future to 1987 and try to help their team win a title. Your job is to select one team and pick the allocated number of players from their past or future to help them accomplish their goal.

Group A - 89+ wins (one player)

Detroit, Toronto, St. Louis, New York (N), Montreal, Milwaukee, San Francisco, New York (A)

Group B - 78-88 wins (two players)

Minnesota, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Oakland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, Seattle

Group C - 70-77 wins (three players)

Chicago (A), Chicago (N), Houston, California, Texas, Los Angeles

Group D - 0-69 wins (four players)

Atlanta, Baltimore, San Diego, Cleveland

What You Need to Know

Only players who played in the city that team played in during 1987 can participate. For example, Hank Aaron can only be taken from his Atlanta days, not his Milwaukee career. Jackie Robinson would be ineligible for the Dodgers because he never played in LA. Bryce Harper cannot play for the Expos, etc.

Please respond to this thread with the team you are taking and list the player(s) you are bringing back and which season of their career to use. For example:

Minnesota Twins

1969 Harmon Killebrew
2004 Johan Santana

You can use Baseball Reference to help find players and seasons for your team. Just click the team and look through their Top 24 all-time players. You should be able to find your players pretty easily that way.

The games will be simmed in OOTP 20 with updates posted in this thread. You do not need the game to play.

Why 1987?

This was the first year I really starting following baseball and fell in love with the game. I was nine years old and would sit in my room at my dad's during the summer and listen to Twins games on the radio while perusing box scores and stats from that day's paper. I idolized Kirby Puckett, Frank Viola, Don Mattingly and Mark McGwire. Looking back, I don't know how the Twins won that year but think it would be fun to see if someone can repeat the feat with them or lead another team to a "chip".

Last edited:
Detroit Tigers

Brandon In- JK, JK.

Justin Verlander, CY+MVP 11'. The .92 WHIP year.

I know Kaline or Cobb are the obvious choices, but JV + Jack Morris is gold and 87' needs another pitcher for the rotation.