15 Yankees - Cubs - VETOED

Status
Not open for further replies.
The New York Yankees have agreed to trade prospects Christian Bethancourt (C), Joey Schoenfeld (2B/C) and Osiris Ramirez (RP) to the Chicago Cubs for Kurt Suzuki (C) and prospect Robbie Ray (SP).

The Yankees are looking to add Suzuki as a catcher with a better bat compared to their current catchers, who are both batting under .190 at the time of the submission. The Yankees understand that Suzuki is on a one year deal but so is their current starter Yasmani Grandal, who they are considering letting walk come free agency. The addition of Ray is so that the Yankees do get something in return outside of a possible 82 game stretch from Suzuki if they do choose to not resign the current Cubs catcher as Ray, at 24 years old and still in single A, doesn't currently fit the Cubs rebuilding mentality for the future.

The Cubs, in return, receive a catcher in Bethancourt that, while solid, is not seen by the Bronx Bombers as the future of their team. A similar thought was had about Wilin Rosario who was traded for Grandal last season. Schoenfeld, the Yankees #10 prospect, is a primary second baseman who is a competent catcher in his own right and did get a few games under his belt at the major league level last season. The Yankees also understand that the Cubs will want some assets for the future which is why they included Ramirez, their #6 prospect, in the trade. A solid RP prospect, the Yankees see their farm system top heavy at the relief spot and don't see when or where Ramirez would get the chance to break through.

New York Yankees trade:
C Christian Bethancourt
2B/C Joey Schoenfeld
RP Osiris Ramirez

Chicago Cubs trade:
C Kurt Suzuki
SP Robbie Ray

majesty95 LoganM Canes87 Roggie DerekMcFadden

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.57.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.57.49 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.03 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.16 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.46 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.58.57 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.59.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 6.59.09 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

DerekMcFadden

Staff member
I think the Yankees win this deal because they get players that will actually be able to play in the majors at any point in their careers where as the Cubs get nothing but career minors players. But I don't think there is much value really being exchanged here, just kind of junk that any team could pick up in the free agent market. And for that reason I will approve it. Not a "fair" trade, just kind of a swap meet junk barter deal.

Roggie

Contributor
Gonna have to say no. Suzuki might not be anything special but nobody else in here look like a ML player at any point.

LoganM

Contributor
Approve. While I don’t think either team benefits from the trade, neither lose either. It’s just swapping around and hoping change of scenery pulls a good season out.

Canes87

Contributor
I’m gonna say no. Yankees are receiving more in Suzuki than any of the other players combined. None will probably make the MLB. Yankees are giving up 3 crappy minor league players for an Majors player. I don’t see the benefit for the Cubs whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.