12 Pirates-Yankees Trade - VETOED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes87

Contributor
The Pirates and the Yankess have agreed to a trade that would send 28 yr old RHP Max Scherzer to New York in exchange for 25 yr old OF Leonys Martin and 26 yr old SS Luis Valbuena.

For the Pirates, they were looking to cut salary as well as look for younger options to develop in the OF and at SS.

For the Yankees, they were looking for a top of the order SP and have the cap space to take on Scherzer's contract.Screenshot (24).pngScreenshot (25).pngScreenshot (26).pngScreenshot (27).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the MLB stats for all players involved in the trade, can grab all stats for the Yankees players if needed. From the Yankees perspective we really do not see either of these two getting massive playing time besides as a rest day for the guys ahead of them on the depth chart.

With the signing of Sizemore and drafting, as of now, center fielders Cody Bellinger and Adam Engel as well as having Scott Schebler and free agent signings Jeremy Hermida and Shane Victorino, we really do not see Leonys Martin in our future at all.

As for Luis Valbuena, he's already playing behind Jean Segura and we have Freddy Galvis coming through the minors with the chance of jumping to the big league roster with a good spring and both are 3 years younger than Valbuena. Add on that we have 4 other guys who can play SS (while not their main position would be serviceable if needed) and we see no reason to keep Valbuena.

majesty95 DerekMcFadden

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.54.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.54.46 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.55.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.55.42 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.56.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 3.56.11 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Roggie

Contributor
I don't see how Scherzer can be called a "top of the rotation" SP at all. He's a solid mid rotation SP at his best (3*s as a SP instead of the 3.5* RP), and would be the #4 in the Yanks rotation (based off last season WAR for starters).

But, the Yankees are also not really giving up much of anything here. It's 2 backup/platoon bats for a #3/4 SP. I see no issue with this trade. Approve.

hunkydory

Staff member
Looking at the stats and value of all players involved, I approve. Scherzer can be a 3-5 option in any starting rotation and both of the players are decent backups and could start if need be. Valbuena is also a pretty decent utility guy who can play pretty much anywhere in the infield as well.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I dont think Scherzer is great but I also dont think NYY are giving up anything to get him. I dont see the value for PIT. I vote no.

Status
Not open for further replies.