Week 15 Game of the Week. Bengals vs. Browns.

pack1797

Staff member
images

Welcome to week 15 in Necessary Roughness, where everything old is new again. The NFL is a cyclical league. Eventually, rivalries that used to be huge but have lately lost their luster are big again. Hence our game of the week. Bengals vs Browns. The battle of Ohio. How old school is that? Not as much as you think, when you consider that these teams are on the cutting edge of NFL play calling and personnel development. We had a chance to catch up with both coaches and a surprise guest this week, in preparation of this huge divisional match up.

BENGALS
1. You won your previous matchup with the Browns, but Cleveland isn't playing like the same team as they were earlier in the year. Are you concerned about coasting on past success?

The Browns are a team that is always one step away from decency. The set themselves up to fail, and disappoint their fans. We worry about a lot of things, but Cleveland and their pretty boy quarterback isn't one of them. Not to sound cocky, but it is what it is.

2. Wow, you sound confident. Many around the league have criticized your game plan last time you met, saying you exploited officiating shortcomings to run clock and win the game. Not accusing you of any wrong doing, but how do you respond to that?

Haters do just that, they hate. If we win, the losers find a reason why we did that has nothing to do with us being better than them. It's the nature of the beast for being a winner. Cleveland can call it what they want, but we ran it down their throat last game. Gio was on point, and I see no reason to believe it will be any different this week. Until the league or the refs call us for cheating, we're playing by the rules.

3. The Browns bring in the number one defense in the league. Do you have to change your gameplan to account for such a ball hawking defense?

The Browns can play defense, I'll give them that. But no better than anybody else we've ran over this year. They hang their hat on that secondary, but Andy Dalton is gonna show where the holes are in that unit. The passing game opens up when you run the ball. Cleveland knows how we run the ball.

4. Your team has changed owners twice this year, how has this affected your team's mindset?

It has been difficult, but we've held on pretty well. The fact that our last owner was crushed by a huge block of Cheddar Cheese was weird, but hey, things happen. We never saw our owner before that, so it's all the usual for us. Hasn't affected our play, and we're still headed to the playoffs.

5. Can you win the Super Bowl with this team?

Absolutely. Go Bengals.

BROWNS.
Remember when I mentioned a surprise guest? I wasn't joking. The Brown's coach showed up with none other than Johnny "Football" Manziel for our interview.

AP_Johnny_Manziel_Browns_bc_140508_16x9_992.jpg

I just want to say I'm happy to be here, and I brought Johnny with me along to this interview. The kid deserves it, and we all know the public wants to see him.
1. Cleveland Browns have the number one defense in football. Has that sunk in yet? Describe your defensive philosophy, and how it's changed the defensive culture on this team.

Look, when you have players such as Haden, Flowers, Gilbert, Mingo, Kruger, Dansby, Gipson, Ruben, Bryant, Whitner, Gipson, Pickett, and Taylor, how can we not be first? This defense in itself, is a starting Pro Bowl team. I've got 3 shutdown corners, a huge, athletic linebacking crew led by the veteran Dansby, a ferocious, hungry line, and a huge hitting backfield. My defense stands up game after game. The only reason we aren't 13-0 is because of some silly mistakes. I have all the confidence in the world in this defense, and I don't plan on breaking them up anytime soon. Whenever a ball is put into play, there are 3 guys around it. As for a defensive philosophy? Our philosophy is go for the ball. Go for the ball hard.

Cincinnati won your first meeting this year. What do you need to change this week to even the season series?

Cinci got lucky winning the first one. We did make some silly mistakes, but that was Manziel's best game this year. He went for over 340 yards with 3 touchdowns. We all know that Lewis over there made some questionable decisions that game, which he was fined for. Chicken ball if you ask me. Dalton was compared to Michael Vick in that game. He will not get the space to move like he did. Our linebacking crew has been watching tape all week on our last meeting. I guarantee a victory against the Bengals this week.

Johnny: Cincinnati??? Is that who we are playing this week? I didn't even know. It doesn't matter who we play. I promise I will torch this defense. I will throw for three touchdowns again.

You had a tough loss against the Bills a couple weeks ago. With every game being vital to your post season hopes, what does your team take away from a game like that?

Already forgot about that. It's over. Were focused on making the playoffs. We had a nice rebound win at home against the Colts. We're more focused on riding that momentum than the loss to the Bills. We own the Bills 1st round draft pick this year along with ours, so in my mind, we hope they lose the rest!

Johnny: I just want to say that I'm a better quarterback than EJ. He had some lucky throws. That was a one off. Next time we see the Bills, I'm going to make them run home scared.

Johnny Football. He's obviously given the Browns a spark since taking the starting spot, but he's in a close race with Teddy Bridgewater for best rookie quarterback, and possibly rookie of the year. How important has Manziel been to the turnaround in Cleveland, and on a related note, how has the acquisition of MJD helped him acclimate to the NFL?

I'll let Johnny handle this one.

Johnny: Your comparing me to Bridgewater? What has this league come to? Bortles is a better QB than Bridgewater! And I'm better than Bortles. I plan on carrying this team to the playoffs, and when all is said and done, if I don't get that award then the NFL is a joke! I'm the golden child of this team, and I see a few Super Bowls coming to Cleveland. As for Jones-Drew, the guy can't be stopped. He is absolutely running beastmode on fools. He could win the MVP award this year, but it wouldn't be a surprise. Once we got him, I knew this team was going to go places.

Johnny has sure added a swagger and fire to this team to say the least, a swagger this city has never seen before.

Baltimore has had an impressive year and has all but locked up the division. Not to jump ahead, but your season may come down to that late showdown with the ravens. How bad do you want another shot at them with the playoffs on the line?

By the time we play the Ravens, the starters will most likely be benched, which I fully understand. They are contenders, just like we are, and can't risk hurting their stars. It's a good game time action for younger players to develop as well. When we win, it will mean nothing. I want the Ravens in the playoffs. I want all the starters playing. I want everything on the line. That's the game I want from the Ravens. We're coming for you Baltimore.

The Bengals owner has been very vocal in his criticism of your team. Many call it simple gamesmanship. How does this affect your team's mindset heading into an important division game?

Johnny: We don't care what the Bengals say. All that matters is the score when the clock hits 0:00 in the 4th quarter. They can talk, talk, talk, no ones listening. We all, WE ALL KNOW THE BROWNS ARE OHIO'S TEAM. The Bengals are a joke. We're going to come out and play our game, and it is going to dominate their game. Like I said, 3 touchdowns this week. Mingo, Dansby, and Kruger are going to make Dalton cry this week. Who's next on the schedule??

Whatever the Browns may be lacking, confidence is not it. Can Cleveland turn the tide of sports misfortune in their home city? Only time will tell. And it all starts with this week's matchup against the Bengals. Be sure to tune in to www.twitch.tv/bigtexas18 to see this game courtesty of www.px1sports.com. Home of the best leagues on the planet. See you next week!