The Secret Behind Madden Ratings

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I was trying to find some insight on Madden 16 ratings while trying to decide what team to be in our Madden 16 V.I.P. league when I ran across this article on fivethirtyeight. It is definitely a long read but it is very intriguing. The article covers the history of ratings in football games and also breaks down how overalls are determined in Madden.

Madden Ratings.png

The thing I found the most interesting was how they rate coverage ability in Madden. To me, I think zone coverage should be in the same neighborhood as man coverage for cornerbacks. Maybe not the same but certainly not less than half as important. Cover 2 corners play mostly zone coverage and, in those schemes, that ability is probably more important than man coverage.

There is another cool feature in the article where you can use sliders to generalize how combine stats equate to certain ratings in the game. The image below is just a screen shot, but if you go to the article and scroll down you can use the interactive version. Its a very cool feature.

Madden Ratings Sliders.png
Thought you guys would enjoy the article and getting some insight into how Madden ratings are made. Let me know what you thought of the article. Do you agree with how EA handles Madden ratings? What would you change if it was up to you?

Lyric4christ

Starter
oh my good ness...this is awesome. the kind of thing i've been looking for for years. majesty - your desire to learn about the game and share your knowledge with others is a huge factor to why I love this league thus far. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I look forward to when we can play just so I can learn from your critique on my game.... ;)

Lyric4christ

Starter
as a follow up....I was trying to understand the difference b/w AWR and PRC and I found this article from Madden Maniac. Great read, it's from an older Madden. Maybe things have changed in 2016 from 2011. But, this could/should impact who we sign and how much we pay. Since younger players have a lower AWR, and a lower price, maybe it doesn't matter for certain positions when they are in the game.... While AWR, according to the article, seems to have little impact on a player's stats - I'll start to place a premium on defensive players with higher PRC. I wonder if the game can be simplified to less stats...?