Saints and Seahawks Trade

Imperfect611

Starter
Well before any of you respond I need to edit this trade because I can't do math ... this would put me over the cap pen wouldn't it. Any chance I can sacrifice some cap pen considering I have over 40 mil in space.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
If it puts you over the cap penalty it's a no go. I would agree that it didn't look balanced anyway.

Imperfect611

Starter
Well it was more out of need on both sides so we will try and find a more suitable balance on my side probably remove Reynolds

Walrussmuglr

Starter
I vote no.

Williams is 32, meaning he likely retires after this season. He would also end up playing nickle? maybe dime? for the Saints, meaning he will have very minimal play time, essentially making this a 81ovr young talent for a 5th round pick? you guys cray cray.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
It's closer, but you're still trading for a guy who's probably going to retire at the end of the year.

Imperfect611

Starter
Well would adding on the 5th on his side help. Shep is a guy who plays only on obvious running downs if anything so he has no real value to my organization. Williams would start for most of the year for me with Mathieu down then move into slot corner and 3rd safety roles. Shep has probably 3 years left and is really MLB2 quality in the right defense. Williams could retire any year, but has that painful cap space issue for a CB2-3.

Imperfect611

Starter
So this would be the trade

Saints: Sheppard

Seahawks: Williams and this year's 5th.

Nobody breaks cap penalties this way either like Reynolds.

Imperfect611

Starter
So as far as I can tell there really isn't a player I can give up to make this Cary Williams trade work. I am not really sure what else to do with it. The reason I am going for Williams is because he fits well in the system I am trying to implement. I can't get a great corner in FA atm. There are other corners in general, but I like that Williams is going to retire since I am looking to reload with a lot of cap space in offseason. He is meant to be a stopgap until Mathieu is back off injury.

Do you guys have any suggestions of how we can balance out this trade to make it work or is it dead in the water.

Imperfect611

Starter
You know what it isn't worth the headache I just wanted to avoid FA again, but oh well. I get the decision though thanks everyone.