Rules Discussion

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
What kind of rules should we include in the official rules and guidelines? Typically we don't want to see guys throw everything out of the strike zone, hit batters on purpose (maybe once here and there), bunt excessively, exploit SBs or any game flaws, or never throw fastballs. I also don't like Tex's dive into first every play :p

What else should we include? Any things that you guys have noticed playing games so far?

What about trade rules? As with Madden, I like to see trades mimic real life as much as possible. I know its a hard balance in taking over a team and customizing it to your liking. However, part of playing sim is playing like a real GM. You just can't 10-15 guys in your first couple months. We also have to figure out a process for trading with the CPU since we are a smaller league. Its just not realistic to acquire guys like Kershaw or Puig or Cabrera. What are some guidelines you guys can think of?

Anything else we may be missing?

NightHawkTH32

All-Star
Puig is realistic in my opinion but would take alot of young firepower. Typically I like to see mlb guys traded for prospects. It's what you see the most of. As for rules, no quick pitching, no throwing guys out at first from outfield, guess pitch off. No changing pitchers in the middle of an at bat unless an injury occurs.

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I've seen guys thrown out at first from RF in real life. Lol. If it's a shallow ball into RF and Yadier Molina is running to first he's gonna try to be thrown out lol

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
If you have a guy on first and there's a ground ball in the infield. No advancing to third. Unless of course. An error

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I agree. Although I don't think the first baseman even covers it this year. And its pretty rare so shouldnt be attempted very often. I can't actually remember seeing it happen in an MLB game

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
I agree. Although I don't think the first baseman even covers it this year. And its pretty rare so shouldnt be attempted very often. I can't actually remember seeing it happen in an MLB game

They do lol. I've done it in DD. a few times lol. :oops:

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, we need to agree on something then. Because I can't think of it happening in real life MLB once. I'm sure its happened. Buts its rare. Even with Molina lol

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
Just for sharks and giggles

Casey thrown out at first from LF lol. That I don't agree with but its funny.

Adaws820

Starter
Make trades so that if its a two part trade minor leaguers have to be in the 2nd part since IRL they don't put 4 mlb players in a trade

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I don't personally like 2 part trades but we can discuss them since, I believe, the game still only allows 3 players per side. But I agree that typically teams don't trade more than 1-2 Major Leaguers at a time.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
How do the trades work in online leagues? Doesn't everyone in the league have to vote in game? That makes a trade committee unnecessary, right?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
OK, I posted the rules in the rules/guidelines thread. Let me know if I missed anything or if there is anything we should discuss further.

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
What I see a lot of online is if I guess the opponent is going to steal and I pitch out they take off towards second. Then once they see the pitch out they return to first and it's impossible to throw them out.

It's my feeling if your going to steal your committed to it. No retreating on pitch outs? I don't see that happen a whole lot in baseball.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
What I see a lot of online is if I guess the opponent is going to steal and I pitch out they take off towards second. Then once they see the pitch out they return to first and it's impossible to throw them out.

It's my feeling if your going to steal your committed to it. No retreating on pitch outs? I don't see that happen a whole lot in baseball.

Yes I remember that from last year. That's ridiculous. Yes, you steal you're committed.