Pass Route Distribution (How and Why)

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
As we get ready to wrap up Season 1 and head into the heart of the playoffs, I wanted to post a quick refresher on pass route distribution, how to mix up your passes and why it is important. I'll start by posting the breakdown taken straight from the league rules and guidelines:
  • Quick Outs/Flats: 2-3 per game
  • Deep Outs: 2-4 per game
  • Ins: 2-3 per game
  • Slants/Drags/Crossers: 4-6 per game
  • Curls/Hitches: 2-5 per game
  • Comebacks: 0-2 per game
  • Corner Routes: 0-2 per game
  • Post Routes: 1-3 per game
  • Go/Fly/Streaks: 1-3 per game
I don't have specific NFL data for these but they should be included as well:
  • WR Screens: 1-3 per game
  • HB Screens: 0-2 per game
There is a total of 35 passes listed here. While the data is based on actual completed passes, there are still a total of 35 possible passes listed here. Very rarely do we go over that in our leagues so using these numbers even for attempted passed would be wise in most cases.

Why Do We Have Guidelines for Routes?

Partly because these are actual numbers from NFL league data and partly to limit the abuse of certain plays or routes that are potentially overpowered (OP). If you follow these guidelines when passing, your opponent will have little room to complain that you exploited anything or feel cheated in anyway. It will also mimic a real life NFL game closely and be great to both play in and watch on Twitch.

Doesn't This Limit Offensive Creativity?

Some could say that, sure. Some could also say that it limits the abuse of certain routes, receivers, etc. It is an imperfect video game and we have to be sure we are not exploiting flaws in it. There is also plenty of flexibility in these guidelines. Nobody is likely to complain if you hit the top end of any of these numbers even with only 20-25 completions.

One person could throw 6 drags and slants and 2 HB screens, 4 curls/hitches, 3 ins, 1 out, 3 flats and 1 post while another player completes 2 corners, 3 posts, 3 flys, 2 comebacks, 4 outs, 2 corners, a HB screen and 3 WR screens. One would be more of a short passing game and the other would be more vertical and spreading out the defense. Two completely different games but both completely within the rules.

Is There a Penalty for Going Over the Limit?

Depends on the situation. If you are losing and your passing game features your 3rd corner, 3rd HB screen, 4th post and 4th streak all on your final drive or two, potentially. Your opponent is probably going to feel like you tried to cheese them to win. If you have had the same issues in other game, you could be sanctioned by losing players, having games simmed to losses or being removed from the league. The best bet is to try and stay within these guidelines as best as possible and if you go over, only go over by one here and there, not repeatedly and consistently.

Is There Ever a Good Reason to Go Over the Guidelines?

Rarely but in unique situations, yes. If you are playing an opponent who is blitzing heavily, especially if they are more than 50%, you could go over by 1 or so on slants/drags and maybe even a HB screen or WR screen. If you have a stud and fast WR and your opponent is consistently leaving them in 1-on-1 coverage with no or little safety help over the top and pressing frequently, it could be conceivable to throw a 4th streak. Its kind of a feel thing. Do you feel the extra route is justified by an excessive use of certain defenses? Its possible but that shouldn't always be your explanation either. Frequently going over, again, is grounds for sanctions up to and including removal from the league.

If you have an questions, feel free to ask them in this thread. Just remember, our goal is to simulate the real life NFL as best as we can within the context of a video game. We also never want our opponents to feel cheated or like we had to resort to money plays or routes to win. Keep those ideals in mind when playing and you should be fine.

RedSkinzHog

Contributor
I don't pass much at all.., I just feel it should be mentioned that guys who do even if they go over the limit a little or a lot that maybe the games should be watched by a couple different decision makers before acted on because what if they were always just throwing to the guy that was open? I know you gave a few examples but I personally had a game where the same route was thrown to 9 times during the game I felt upset and considered giving my opponent a 2 rating but when I watched it over I noticed that he always threw the pass I would've made myself and that was the only uncovered rec not the same play just the same type of route..,

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
There are a lot of routes that can get open over and over. That's the point of mixing it up. If your opponent hit the same route 9 times that's an issue. Again, guys need to realize the game is imperfect and not call the same plays with the same routes that always come open. I know everyone is a legend in their own mind and its hard to admit it's the AI and not your great play calling skills. But that is the reality of it ;)

And we don't have time to go back and watch all these games. That's why the rating system is there. Specifically from keeping us from having to do that. We do have lives outside of PX1 lol

Cnote

Starter
I can respect this layout ,but if you running diffrent plays and routes but yet the same rec is open or the same route of a diffrent package is open then I would personally expect my opponent to go to them .how could I complain if the defense is getting beat?so I Def feel you and understand the rules.it should only be an issue if your obviously being cheesed.other than that their are basic ways to beat every form of defense .so if me/opp make adjustments to beat the defense that's not cheeseing. It's the d fault the receiver would left open

pack1797

Staff member
I can't speak for Mike, but I don't sit and chart my plays during a game. I do, however, try to always look to use a route or concept I haven't yet. There are the numbers and they are a guide line to keep in mind, but guys sometimes get too hung up on the numbers. The point is to use a varied offensive pass attack that doesn't consist of only easy to complete routes. A lot of players can't complete a comeback route with any consistency because they never throw them.

Once you get started trying to read the defense, and vary your play calling enough that you are harder to predict, it really becomes second nature. If you need to chart plays or routes to make sure you aren't over doing something, that's fine. But the more you do it, the more natural it becomes.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I do not chart my plays either. I just have a running total in my head and it's mostly just for the abusive routes like corners, posts and HB screens and stuff like tosses and counters. I try to limit those. Everything else is mostly defendable. Flat routes and anything to the TE the AI doesn't handle well so you have to police yourself there too. But id rather play a guy that throws 5 flat routes to his HB or TE than a guy that throws 5 TE corner routes and HB screens.

visionz813

Starter
I feel we need a post about run play distribution, run concepts, and running the ball where the play is designed not freestyling to abuse the ai. Some very average running backs had monster seasons...

Sounds good.

I think if you mix up your playcalls enough then you will get the results. I enjoy the chess like matches the most on offense and defense.

It's breaks the defensive spirit quickly in most games when they feel like the offense is on point on every aspect of the game. I know as its my defense that is getting torched.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
It really does make for a great game of chess when guys are truly mixing it up and playing a high level of simulation football.