Offensive Playbook Schemes

OzoneAz

Contributor
In my opinion one of the things of being successful in PX1 is hiring the correct offensive and defensive coordinators (or selecting the appropriate playbooks prior to the start of the season). If you are playing sim football (not Madden), there is not a single “Best” playbook out there…. Let me repeat, there is not one single playbook that is better than the other. What it comes down to is knowing what scheme each playbook excels in and sticking to the plan.

Even though madden playbooks are fairly well balanced and provide concept plays from major schemes, not all playbooks are created equal. I created an offensive breakdown of what scheme I think each playbook falls in. This should also help folks not only selecting the appropriate playbook based on the scheme they have selected but also get guys thinking of what concepts they should be calling in order to get the most out of each playbook.

Scheme Breakdown

We can write entire threads breaking down the different schemes (and the schemes within the schemes, lol) but this is just a quick down and dirty breakdown of every major scheme.

RUN

Power Run – Pulling guards, FBs, and TEs creating designated holes for RB to run through. Strong Power's Power O's, counters, TE/FB motions.

Zone Run – Offensive line Scheme (mostly double team) blocking creating lanes for RB to choose to. Requires agile RB and good user reads. These are your inside, outside, streatch runs.

PASS

West Coast – Pass happy offense that uses the pass as an extension to the run game. Offense want to spread the defense horizontally with short passing route concepts

Vertical – Vertical offense that attacks the defense through the seams. Concepts with a lot of high – low reads. Designed to stretch the defense vertically.

Balance – Beyond popular belief that does not necessarily imply a 50/50 pass/run ratio. A balance offense is your prototypical pro-style offense primarily ran out of pro sets (pro, strong, weak) and singleback formations. Because of the formations they run out of being typically leaves the defenses guessing as to figuring out pass or run. In my opinion the toughest offense to run in madden but if you know what you are doing, watch out!

Spread – Shotgun based offenses that spread the field with 3, 4, and 5 WR sets. These offenses spread the ball around to multiple receivers. I picked playbooks that are heavy with air raid, run & shoot, wr screen concepts. Some might or might not have read option runs.

* You will notice I have posted multiple concepts for some playbooks. The first concept in the category is the primary scheme. I added a second concept only If there was enough concepts to fit that scheme and still stay withing the PX1 sim rules of avoiding repetative playcalling.

** Tell me what you think, what needs to be changed/upgraded.

upload_2015-12-11_14-32-12.png

OzoneAz

Contributor
What level football you coach OzoneAz ?

I don't coach, the closest thing to me being involved with football right now is my nephews who play college ball. I just love the strategy this great game brings to play. Truth be told though, I am a little of a freak in that I like to watch NFL Replay (on game pass) during the week and breakdown tape from one or two games from the previous week.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I don't coach, the closest thing to me being involved with football right now is my nephews who play college ball. I just love the strategy this great game brings to play. Truth be told though, I am a little of a freak in that I like to watch NFL Replay (on game pass) during the week and breakdown tape from one or two games from the previous week.

I've recorded a few but haven't had time to actually watch them yet.

Cnote

Starter
If your in depth like you should look into coacbing.I coach 9 -11U .messed up thing is i can move the ball better when I'm coaching,than when I'm playing madden ..it's crazy and I coach offense

OzoneAz

Contributor
... messed up thing is i can move the ball better when I'm coaching,than when I'm playing madden ..it's crazy and I coach offense

Honestly, impleamenting real life x's&o's in madden makes it enjoyable for me, but not necessarily a better player. That stands true especially against guys that play madden and not "sim" madden. Its like playing poker with people that havent played before in their life, chances are you will lose because you are over thinking their moves. Game is far more rewarding spending time figuring out how to use real life schemes than spending time figuring out what works in-game.

On a side note, I am more of a defensive guy. I trully find offense kinda boring and always look forward to playing defense. I hope someday madden bring back team play mode they had were you could control the defense and your buddy the offensive side of the ball ;)