No Huddle Offense (Rule Change) XB1

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
pack1797 and I have discussed this and beginning with our Madden 16 leagues we will allow realistic use of the no huddle offense outside of just 2-minute warning situations and when losing late in games. See below for details. Keep in mind, running no huddle after out of bounds plays and incompletions is still not allowed.

Teams will now have the chance before each season to declare how much no huddle that they plan to run. We understand real life NFL teams do not have to do this. However, real life NFL teams have scouting departments. Here is the breakdown of no huddle preferences. The scheme and playbook declaration thread will have a list of playbooks that can be used for each no huddle preference.

Low – Traditional pro-style offense. May occasionally use no huddle to catch an opponent in a bad defense or on an occasional series to try and spark the defense. These teams would typically run the no huddle on less than 30% of their plays. Ex. Baltimore Ravens.

Medium – These teams use primarily singleback and shotgun formations and may run the no huddle 40-50% of the time. Examples of teams who fit this type of play style are Green Bay, Indianapolis and Denver.

High – This type of team is basically limited to the Philadelphia Eagles in today’s NFL. They run the no huddle on every play that is not an out of bounds play, incomplete pass or late-game, clock killing situation. Teams outside of the Eagles can run this type of offense subject to using one of the pre-defined playbooks which would likely be used for that style of offense in real life.

If you have an questions or comments feel free to post them here or send pack1797 a PM. This new policy has been added to the League Rules and Guidelines.

pack1797, dwood13, Ol'ColdToes, 5StarTA, UCtruegame15, adouble31, Pirani, Rabbitsheriff, mycaddy, moniqx4, iTvizzyy, Spitta0, Jett_330, DazWatSheSaid , Hofinator10, mnthatdude , Marqharvey, Hisler, NINJAy87, Falconsroach7, w4mvp, bpslm, Omg_dballer215, Playa2138, Rawfootage904, Austin88, Knockout511

Knockout511

Starter
I would like to start off at medium and give every one the benefit of the doubt that they won't abuse this and constantly run the same money plays. It add a element of the player on defence might have to burn a time out just to get a better package in the game.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I would like to start off at medium and give every one the benefit of the doubt that they won't abuse this and constantly run the same money plays. It add a element of the player on defence might have to burn a time out just to get a better package in the game.

They won't be here long if they abuse it. We will post the declaration thread and those who use medium or high will still be required to mix it up like anyone else. If they cannot, they will either be forced to not use the no huddle or just removed from the league, depending on their actions and attitude toward it.

Knockout511

Starter
Maybe it would work best if there was a play limit, like max 6 plays in a row before they have to stop, so generally that's about 2 first downs.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Maybe it would work best if there was a play limit, like max 6 plays in a row before they have to stop, so generally that's about 2 first downs.

We're trying to get away from guy counting plays and such. At the end of the day, guys who want to be here and play sim will figure it out. Those that do not/cannot will weed themselves out ;)

mycaddy

Starter
I think those numbers are less in real life... For instance I know Green Bay will randomly comeout and go no huddle for a series in a game to try to catch a team off guard and so they can't switch personnel... New England as well... I would say these teams are would be considered medium along with the other teams you mentioned but they probably don't run no huddle 30% which is considered low.. But I do think the concept presented is good and allow for some leeway for those that want to do more no huddle. Even though personally I never run no huddle unless it is a late game situation and I need to. I think it is apart of the game in the NFL and should be an option in sim leagues as long as it is not abused...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
mycaddy - I pulled those numbers direct from NFL data. Philly (70%) led the NFL while Green Bay, Indy and Denver were next, all between (45-49%).

NINJAy87 - We will post a thread later where you can declare your no huddle preference. We like to keep everything organized in its own thread ;)

mycaddy

Starter
ok... DIdnt seem that way I watch GB twice a year and it doesnt seem like almost half there plays seems like 1 or 2 series a game.. But ok I know the NFL knows much more than I do when it comes to that... So I am sure you are right then...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
ok... DIdnt seem that way I watch GB twice a year and it doesnt seem like almost half there plays seems like 1 or 2 series a game.. But ok I know the NFL knows much more than I do when it comes to that... So I am sure you are right then...

Yeah, the Giants were 5th at 46%. Who would have thought that? Lol

Last edited:

Hofinator10

Starter
I am not a fan of no huddle like this in SIM leagues...just my two cents

But I like when guys run no huddle against me b/c I can make 3 or 4 adjustments pre snap and their play is gone. Just saying in every league i've ever played in its not considered 'SIM'

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I'm not gonna run no huddle so no problems here but I agree seems like it could be abused so makes sense to add it

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I am not a fan of no huddle like this in SIM leagues...just my two cents

But I like when guys run no huddle against me b/c I can make 3 or 4 adjustments pre snap and their play is gone. Just saying in every league i've ever played in its not considered 'SIM'

Feel free to explain why you feel this way. We've just researched and feel this is the next step in the natural progression of things.

As far as other leagues, no other league does live RedZone channels and live play-by-play broadcasts. :p You don't become the best by following what everyone else does. We are trying to stay ahead of the curve. We also reserve the right to revoke access for people who try to abuse it in some way.

With that being said, the reason that the no huddle was banned initially was because it limited the plays both the offense and defense could call, which is cheesy. There were also exploits where teams could line up WRs at TE and screw up coverages.

I've played over 30 games of Madden 16 and have run and had no huddle run on me numerous times. I do not think these issues still persist. I saw one instance where a WR lined up at TE but it was an isolated instance. We can add to the rules that you have to take a timeout or audible out if you see that happen.

Another reason leagues disallowed it was because it didn't simulate real life. However, the facts show that a large number of teams are running no huddle at least a fair amount of the time these days. Five teams last year ran it at least 45% of the time. Teams like the Patriots, Lions, Steelers, Chargers and Dolphins all ran it about 20% of the time or more. Oakland and Carolina are planning to run it more this season.

As long as it is not exploitive or glitchy, we just cannot see a reason to ban it any longer. Its becoming a much larger part of the NFL and our goal is to "sim"ulate the NFL as closely as possible within the context of a video game. This is a step in that direction. But we can always revisit it in the future if things prove otherwise.

iTvizzyy

Starter
I rarely ever run no huddle but I might try to run a little more no huddle seeing that this rule is in place. I will start off at low. Might work my way to medium but I would never ever be high. High doesnt allow you to burn enough clock. I like shortening the game as much as I am able to do. Smart, efficient offense is what I prefer.

mycaddy

Starter
I will say the only time I think it is useful (at least for me) is when they have personnel issues. I am 3 or 4 wide and they are in a 4-3 or 4-6 I know I have a mismatch somewhere which team do in real life... No time to change personnel... So to have that option is good

w4mvp

Prospect
I like having the flexibility to use it without fear of getting in trouble, but like most I'll probably only use it in rare situations where I want to catch the defense off guard. It is a double edged sword because if you run no huddle and go 3 and out your defense will not have enough time to recover.

Knockout511

Starter
I like having the flexibility to use it without fear of getting in trouble, but like most I'll probably only use it in rare situations where I want to catch the defense off guard. It is a double edged sword because if you run no huddle and go 3 and out your defense will not have enough time to recover.
Then you call a time out like teams do in the league, or you call a blitz and you hope it gets there or rushes the passer

w4mvp

Prospect
Sure and that's realistic. Just pointing out that there's a reason not every team runs it. Stamina is a good deterrent in real life and in madden. Players also get injured more often when they are tired. Your rb won't last long if you keep running from the no huddle and he can't get off the field.