Madden 16 Review

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Overall Grade: B+

The new season of Madden NFL is upon us. For some, the kickoff to #MaddenSeason is better than Christmas. There are new features to test out, new modes to experiences and new players on new teams to explore. Before you head out to pick up your copy of Madden 16, we're going to give you an overview of what to expect for Madden 16.

OBJ.jpg

Gameplay

The most important aspect to any video game is the gameplay so we will start there. Madden 16 adds in the new Air Supremacy feature which focuses on the interactions between receivers and defensive players. This year EA added aggressive, RAC (run after catch) and possession catches to the offensive arsenal. On defense, you now have the option to play the ball (try to intercept or swat the pass) or to play the receiver (make a tackle and try to knock the ball out). The Early Access response to these features has been mixed but there is still something for everyone.

When you jump into an online head-to-head match or heads up match in the new Draft Champions mode you are going to see your typical "lobby ball" type of gameplay. Aggressive catch is going to feel overpowered for some of the top wide receivers like Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant. You're also going to notice some issues with defensive coverage and some erratic safety play. Don't fret however as it seems these issues are mostly contained to these modes. CFM (Connected Franchise) seems to play entirely different.

I'm not sure of the exact reasoning, but it appears EA purposely made things less realistic and less "sim" in the online H2H modes. Meanwhile, the franchise mode seems to be far more balanced and realistic in its gameplay. A possibly explanation is that it is a marketing tool. That EA wants the spectacular catches to be easy to get so that people will share videos and screenshots on Twitter and Facebook. Another possible explanation is that making it "easier" and neutering some of the more advanced gameplay mechanics appeals to a wider audience and keeps new or casual fans more engrossed in the game longer. That also makes sense as the depth of realism could certainly overwhelm the less experienced player.

For those that are experienced sim players and looking for the most realistic football experience possible, I think we are as close as we've ever come to getting that wish in Madden 16. Within Connected Franchise, the gameplay feels much, much more fluid and responsive than Madden 15. Man coverage works much more realistically and zone coverage has been improved. Aggressive catches still work, but may actually favor the defender (which isn't necessarily unrealistic). We may certainly uncover issues along the way but, from the initial testing, things are much improved on Madden 16 in regards to CFM. Add in improved run blocking, defensive pursuit angles and improved QB and RB animations and we're set up to have the very best Madden game to date in terms of gameplay.

Connected Franchise

Madden 16 Scouting.jpg

To many, a game's franchise mode is a close second behind gameplay in terms of value and importance. That's certainly true here with our leagues utilizing the feature. With the numerous improvements to gameplay along with a new scouting system, free practice with your CFM team, new game and drive based goals and the addition of a player card with player attributes when bidding on free agents, CFM is certainly looking as strong as it has since debuting the feature a few years ago.

Scouting is the one feature that received the biggest overhaul for Madden 16 in CFM. This year EA tried to add in some fog of war as I like to say to hide some of the attributes from the user's view. Now when scouting you only have access to that player's top three skill specific attributes. You will also get things like 40 time and bench press results after the combine (three weeks after the Super Bowl). At first it will be kind of unsettling as you have less control over what attributes you unlock. Give it time though as I think it now makes it far more difficult to load up on good players in the draft. Just because a player has a 1st round grade doesn't mean he's going to be a star. Also, you can still find guys in the middle rounds who could very easily be worthy of a 1st round pick. You are just going to have to take a leap of faith on some and will probably strike out here and there (which is more realistic).

You also get to practice with your team in CFM for the first time in many years. Gone are the days of signing a big free agent or drafting an impact rookie and having to learn how they play during games. Now you can take your team out onto the practice field with your playbook and learn how to best utilize those players in your scheme. Along those lines, game prep is now more practice oriented as well. Doing the actual drills during game prep is the only way to get full XP each week. You can no longer just click buttons and add 1,000 XP. The game makes you improve at certain game specific drills to earn XP for your players. That's a positive as well. Gone are the days of only playing your games and button clicking your rookie quarterback to 99 OVR in a couple of seasons. You gotta work for those points in Madden 16

Draft Champions

Madden 16 Draft Champions.jpg

Honestly, this is a fantastic mode. It is a ton of fun and very well put together. You get to "draft" 15 players of NFL stars and former NFL superstars. You will be given the choice of three players each round to choose from and they will be different every time that you draft so the combinations are endless. You might pick Chip Kelly as your coach but then get a heavy dose of defensive players, tight ends and pocket quarterbacks. But that is ok because it forces you to think outside the box and see how to best utilize the teams you have drafted within the playbook that you have. The players you are given is balanced too. You get a good variety of players at all positions so if you wind up with three running backs or three free safeties, that's really just bad drafting on your part.

The downside is the gameplay. As I mentioned earlier, the gameplay appears to be much different in Draft Champions than it is in Connected Franchise. Maybe that's because Draft Champions is set to Pro or rookie and we were playing CFM on All-Pro. I do not know for sure. But the gameplay will drive you crazy after awhile if you prefer the realistic version of football. That being said, it is still an extremely fun mode and the crazy gameplay just gives you an opportunity to test out new coverages and practice your skills user controlling players in coverage.

Madden Ultimate Team

Madden 16 Ultimate Team.jpg

MUT has been a huge addition to the series ever since it's inception a few years ago. I don't know the specific numbers, but it has been reported that MUT and other Ultimate Team mode games make up a majority of EA's game based revenues now. Some people do not like that as they claim it is a "money grab" but it has been successful for EA and a large portion of Madden players enjoy the mode even if in small increments. This year MUT got a face lift with a slick new logo and a fresh coat of paint on the menus. Other than that though, the mode remains mostly unchanged from last year. I'm not sure what more that they could do with the mode so that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure there are new and unique solo challenges and that we will see a plethora of different cards sets to delight our card collecting sensibilities. For the most part though, this mode will be familiar and easy to navigate for anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time with it before.

Final Analysis

I wavered on whether to give Madden 16 a B or a B+ mostly because of the gameplay issues that I encountered when playing Draft Champions. I also know that as we play and the newness wears off we will uncover some issues that we did not notice initially. However, I settled on a B+ because of how much better playing a CFM game was. I really enjoyed watching my defenders move and flow to the ball more realistically. I love the new animations (although I can already feel myself tiring of the OBJ one-handed catch animation) and the improved blocking. I think the new XP and stat pop ups may get annoying after awhile but they are fresh and appeal to my inner stat junkie.

I also love that they added a new mode like Draft Champions and seem to have done it very well even if they dumbed down the gameplay. This feels like a very solid game overall. Many of the issues from last year were improved and they seemed to try something new to appeal to a wide range of fans. While it might not quite be where it can be and some will surely find things they use to justify picking the game apart, I think it is as good as just about any other sports game out there. I also can tell that the devs at EA are listening to the community and trying to give us everything that we want. I also believe that there is a solid foundation to build form that allows tthe devs to more easily upgrade and update things than we saw on the PS3/360. Which all adds up to a very good and fun game and one that I think most of us will enjoy well into the real life NFL playoffs and beyond.

Last edited:

dwood13

Prospect
Servers are horrendous, I've gotten dropped around 5 out of 12 ranked games and games where they say my opponent disconnected I have been getting losses.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Servers are horrendous, I've gotten dropped around 5 out of 12 ranked games and games where they say my opponent disconnected I have been getting losses.

Servers can have an impact but Madden games are peer-to-peer connections so it is mostly a user who caused the disconnection. Have you called your ISP to see if they have been having an issue? Might want to check that just to be sure it's not on your end. I haven't noticed those issues myself.

dwood13

Prospect
My internet is flawless majesty. These are just some of the issues I've experienced during the trial period.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
My internet is flawless majesty. These are just some of the issues I've experienced during the trial period.

I undertand. I just know people like to point the finger at EA but most of the time it is related to a user. For instance. I have AT&T and AT&T is notorious for throttling internet speed when streaming. I can surf the web and run speed test connections and everything looks perfect. But if I try and play MLB The Show and stream, it lags like crazy. And my internet is supposed to be better than 80% of the country. Yet other guys on here have no issues on MLB.

I haven't heard anyone else complain about Madden games disconnecting or lagging very bad and I have not experienced it either. So I'm just suggesting maybe it's not EA bc the vast majority of lagging and disconnections issues they have nothing to do with them unless their servers are down. They could have had a brief issue when you were playing but if it's every time you play you my just want to explore whether it's on your end. It could affect league games which is the only reason it concerns me and want to be sure you can rule your ISP out ;)

Cnote

Starter
Just sitting back waiting for that patch/update.luckily I've been blessed with gear connection and no dropped games (knock on wood) just anxiously waiting for the leagues to start.its been a good run so far...
#MADDENNATION

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
As I've said on here many times I always played NCAA over madden and the last football game I played was NCAA '14 on the ps3. So going from that to Madden 16 on the ps4 is worlds different and better. My post will prob be more of impressions then a review. Most of my time has been playing the CPU on default sliders and a few games vs people from here.

Running game
In NCAA you didn't have to be detailed if it was 3rd and short you could just hand it off up the middle and it would be a automatic 1st down. In madden that is no longer the case and just like in the NFL that is not guaranteed. That's not to say you can't get can't get yards rushing because you can but you have to be patient and stick with it.

Passing game
I haven't did a lot of the throws and catch types as I am just playing pretty basic now till I get the hang of the passing game more. If my WR is wide open I will do a RAC catch or if I am going deep I will try the aggressive catch but most of the time I just let the CPU pick the type of catch for now. The aggressive catch I don't see as being OP it may look like if you play modes like DC. But in CFM I don't think its going to be a major issue. I am throwing about 2 to 3 interceptions a game and every single one of them has been my fault. Because I am in a hurry and making a bad read.

Draft Champions
I am huge draftnik so I was excited to try this mode out and overall its a cool concept but I don't know how much I will use it once I start my CFM. The gameplay vs other users is just awful and full of cheese. The first 2 games vs the CPU are way to easy. I also don't like the option of having to play short quarters they should have a option to play longer quarters. I get the reasons behind this as its meant to be a quick mode. I am going to assume more players will be added soon bc the same legends are getting old. The way the made this mode so arcade is a killer for me.

CFM
I like the way scouting is done it leaves some mystery and it should allow for more busts to be picked. I have seen some draft classes with 2 QB's with 1st round grade and others with 5. If it wasn't for the league then I think the CFM would get pretty stale fast bc there isn't much depth to this mode. If you compare to to the stuff that will be in NBA2K16 then madden should be ashamed. I do like how the players overall will change based off your scheme. I also like how the cpu is trying to trade for Mettingburger and offering fair trades.

Overview
The CPU so far has been a challenge for me and even as I get better at the game I don't see it ever being a 100% victory. Another great is I have yet to touch any sliders which is rare for any sports game. Its pretty obvious that ratings matter in this game.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Would love to see you post some of the ideas from 2k in the Madden 17 wishlist thread :) Nice recap of your thoughts on Madden 16 though!

Hofinator10

Starter
I like the game but its so different from any other madden i've played. Might be because I took my first year off in 20 years last year so this is my first one on xbox 1

Madden 16 review
I'm gonna review this maybe a little different I feel like beside animation this game is almost just like madden 14 and 15. Here's why the offense is still op and as always the AI is still dumb as hell there's still a lot of glitches.The developers think there smooth by sending out a unfinished game and then fixing it through patches in the long run which no doubt 3 months from now this game will be a hell of a lot better cause it will be fully done by the developers. But the defense overall besides CFM is a joke which we all know that is going on 5 plus yrs now so not a good track record so far. Draft Is fun but again the community ruins it which ends up hurting the value of that game mode as all other game modes. which in a sense exposes the game for it's flaws so in a way the community continues to show how year after year the game is broken and it ends up being a 60 DLC which it is what it is. As far as the good great graphics overall enjoyable game as long as your around the right kinda people and I do like the concept of draft championship hopefully in time they will expand it and enhance it something to look forward. Long term replay value as always and we all know it's all about CFM that's what's gonna carry this game all the way too the bank and continue to be something to look forward too. Overall I would give the game a 7/10 maybe with patches later on I might increase that score but as always with a lot of ea games only time will tell.....

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Part of the defense I'm not sure they are going to fix with this engine. I'm not sure how adaptive they can make the AI or if they even want to. I think part of them feels they need to cater to the casual audience and that is larger than the sim audience. They are trying to make CFM more sim for people like us, but the H2H gameplay they still kind of cater to the cheeser. I think that is by design even though I strongly disagree with that strategy.

The good news is some of it can be patched. They can obviously tune aggressive catch so its not so OP. I'm sure they can tune the blocking on outside runs. They weren't nearly as bad last year as this year. I just don't know how adaptive they can or want to make the AI. Real life teams adapt and will jump routes that continuously get thrown or will cheat outside and beat their blockers if they constantly run outside. Madden seems to want to force the user to have to cover all those deficiencies and I just don't agree with that strategy.

I don't know how many QA testers they have, but I do know they have quite a few game changers that they pay to fly in and test the game at different points throughout the year. However, most of those guys that I know of are sim guys. So they probably don't run 4 verts every play or run goal line HB tosses from their own 20. Hopefully this year they will learn from this and get guys to try and "break" the game so to speak in testing so we don't have to deal with as much.

The CFM issue...that I don't really know. Maybe they didn't play enough games to blowout enough teams? Maybe they didn't play on long enough quarters? I have no clue. There's really no excuse for it and they've admitted that. Its been embarrassing. I'm as frustrated as anyone with hating every game that I play almost right now bc of MUT and DC. But I want to play the game I bought and we hyped for so many weeks. But it drives me nuts to actually play it. It sucks. I feel your pain. I just don't believe it was planned or that they are lazy or anything like that. That whole process is awfully complex. But they certainly need to put some new processes in place.

Last edited:
I live 45 minutes from EA you don't know how many times I was going to go get a job as a game tester just so I could speak my mind about madden lol. 7 years ago I meet the Executive producer of madden and talk to him for about 10 to 15mins he was at a madden 09 launch tournament in Orlando FL and you should have heard him say and I quote they found over 10'000 plus glitches with madden 08 so they believe that 09 was gonna be 10 times better same old sales pitch year after year...the last time in my opinion madden was great was back in 05 for the xbox.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I'm going to post an article so guys can get a better idea of what all is involved. But think of a database of code with millions of characters and thousands of lines. And one character is creating the bug. But you have to sort through all of that code to find the one bug. Now imagine having a hundred bugs that are similar... Programming isn't the same as pushing buttons on a controller. Again, I'm not making excuses for them, some of these bugs are inexcusable. But I certainly understand how things are missed and why it takes a long time to fix some things.

mycaddy

Starter
I'm going to post an article so guys can get a better idea of what all is involved. But think of a database of code with millions of characters and thousands of lines. And one character is creating the bug. But you have to sort through all of that code to find the one bug. Now imagine having a hundred bugs that are similar... Programming isn't the same as pushing buttons on a controller. Again, I'm not making excuses for them, some of these bugs are inexcusable. But I certainly understand how things are missed and why it takes a long time to fix some things.

I will say I understand to an extent my wife kinda does something similar for her job. SOmetimes when she talks to me about her job it sounds like she is speaking greek because I barely understand at all. But the bits and pieces I do pick up is similar which is why I personally understand the dilemna EA is going through and I am being patient because I want them to get it right. If I need to wait a few weeks then so be it as long as when I start playing CFM real my experience is enjoyable...

THis game generally sell around 5 million copies (not sure of numbers this year) it is IMPOSSIBLE to make 5 million people happy. No matter what they put out people will complain... I have always believed they are doing they best they can although recent events with live are making me feel different but I have always felt they were working hard to try to put a a good competitive game even without competition