How to Call Coverages in Madden

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I think that I am a pretty good defensive play caller in Madden (and NCAA for that matter). I really like to pride myself on my defense. I would prefer to win a game 14-7 than 42-35 (although those can be fun.) However, I read a post recently that had me questioning how I think about defense.

Typically, I kind of called my plays without much purpose. I tried to mix up my calls to be "sim" but I didn't have a bonafide gameplan. I generally tired to match what I thought my opponent would do. If he was running a lot on 1st down, I would call a Cover 0 blitz or Cover 3. If he posed the threat to pass, then maybe Cover 2. 2nd and 3rd downs were generally trying to take away what I thought he would do: pass outside = Cover 2 or 4, pass over the middle = Cover 3 or Cover 1.

Now I realize just how little I know/knew about calling plays on defense. Of course, this is a preference thing. Proponents of the Cover 2 would probably disagree with Saban and say they play Cover 2 in most situations. I think, though, that we are seeing a shift in the way football is played and that Cover 2 doesn't hold up as well as it used to.

In today's game, teams are much more pass oriented. You get a lot more spread fields and A LOT of 3 x 1 and unbalanced sets. Teams will run a lot out of those sets too. I think that's why you see the Seahawks (who predominately run Cover 3/1) and Bama have so much success. They have the athletes to cover the pass game and the front to defend the run.

I'm going to have to go into the lab and work on this some. I have run more Cover 3 than Cover 2 for the past couple of years but now I will be able to do so with a purpose. Practicing as the LB and taking away the seem and inside post will just make me (and you hopefully) that much better!