Coach Spotlight - Kansas City Chiefs Season 1 Week 12

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
Chiefs_Tickets_2014_4_zpsc60080f9.jpeg

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
AFC WEST
10-1
I recently caught up with the owner of the Chiefs, BlackPaw, and head coach Andy Reid and had a one on one conversation inquiring about great the great season they have had this year in KC. So far this year the Chiefs are 10-1 with their only loss coming this week against the Raiders. Right now they are one of the top contenders to make it to the Superbowl so we sat down to give some insight on this glorious year for the Chiefs:

• Your 10-1. With the chargers and raiders both at 6-5 you pretty much have the playoffs on lock. How do you feel about your chances at the Super Bowl?
"Well, I look at each game one at a time. Nothing is certain in the NFL. We have certainly put ourselves in a good position to make the playoffs, but as I said, one game at a time. With the overturn of Owners in the league and the increasing level of play throughout, it will be a difficult road to the Super Bowl."

• Kansas City hasn't won a Super Bowl since 1969. Tell me what a Super Bowl would mean to this city, especially the same year the KC Royals are making a World Series Run.
"I am a huge fan of celebrating tradition. I think a Super Bowl for Kansas City would be a remarkable thing. It would be a great reward to those fans who displayed loyalty and passion about the franchise throughout the years. It also would be a pretty sweet deal, to open next season, in the NEW Arrowhead stadium, as CHAMPS! We will definitely be cheering for the Royals. They have done a great job, coming together as a team and just going out and playing ball at an exceptionally high level. Gotta love October, great football and classic moments in playoff baseball."

• You and the Ravens, who are undefeated at this point, are the favorites in the playoffs. If it comes to can your team beat the ravens? And what has been key to your success this year?
"That is the forecasted matchup as of now, but again, it’s one game at a time. The Ravens play fundamentally sound football. They will be a tough match up, but I know we will be ready; this team is prepared to battle any team. We will be getting healthy with Alex coming back next week. So we can expect to see more consistent performance from the position there. We focus on being simple and executing at a level of excellence. That’s the key to our success as a team."

• Alex smith has been sidelined due to injury, and Daniel has taken more snaps this year in your 10-1 run. Will Chase finish out the season? Or does Smith still have his job when he returns?
"Yea, just to follow up from the previous question, this is Alex’s role within the team, the starter at QB. He is a leader on the team, as well as our offense, it all starts with him there. Chase has done a great job, stepping into the role and being the “next man up”. We prepare the next man to succeed; regardless of position, so that’s a testament to how the players have bought into the system and the importance of meeting those expectations as a team."

• Derrick Johnson leads the league in INT. Tell me how his play has been vital to your success this year, and how he has really inspired this defense.
"Derrick is a great, great player. He has really adapted to the new system we installed here. I believe he saw it as an opportunity to evolve into an even better player and as you can see with his stat lines, he’s playing a very high level. He inspires the defense by leading by example. Always displays a high motor, fights to the very end. He is certainly a great leader for the defense as well as the team."

So as you can see, Coach Reid and his team are confident, but humble. They realize the position they are in, and are going to play off of it. They are showing no signs of slowing down. Maybe if they get a few playoff victories in, we'll see Charles, or Smith, or Johnson pull a Eric Hosmer, and get out and give back to the fans! (Is that enough pressure guys?) As our conversation drew to a close and I thanked BlackPaw and Coach Reid for their time, they had one more thing to say to me:

Again, thank you for having me and

HAIL to the Chiefs!

Last edited: