Coach Spotlight - Green Bay Packers Season 1 Week 13

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
packers_receivers_zps165a6f0a.jpg

nfl-betting-nfc-north_zps9220073d.gif

5-6
I recently caught up with the owner of the Packers, pack1797 , and had a one on one conversation inquiring about great the downfall of a season they have had this year in Green Bay. So far this year the Packers are 5-6 and are tied for first in a struggling NFC North this year. Alot of people have noted this year as "Rodgers Collapse 2014", here is some insight to the packers performance this year:

• Your 5-6 and tied for first in the NFC North with the lions and the vikings and bears are both close behind and tied for second at 4-7. No team in this division is at or over .500. What has been going on? Is the division really just THAT competitive this year, or could the NFC North be slipping apart? You won the division last year at 8-7-1. That's not really saying a whole lot for the North.
"I would say it's a combination of factors. Let me preface by saying that I am dissatisfied with our season so far, and I put that squarely on our organization. We could easily be 7-4 or better right now, but silly mistakes have cost us close games against the Jets and Lions. We've split this year with the Vikings and Bears. But as a whole, the north looks mediocre to outsiders. It's up to us to finish strong and make noise in the playoffs, anything else is unacceptable."

• In 4 out of the last 5 years the packers have had an 11 or more win season, then last year you finished 8-7-1, now 5-6. Your on your way to your worst season since the packers finished 4-12 in 2005. What do the packers need to do or focus on to get back to their winning ways?
"Rodgers going down last year hurt us late in the season, but we still have to be ready to compete with the next man in line. This season has been won and lost by mental mistakes on both sides of the ball. The coaches can't expect to run the same thing, with no tweaks to the system, and continue to dominate. It ludicrous. We line up every week against paid, professional football players that don't give a damn about our past success. Minnesota proved that in week twelve. First, we have to eliminate turnovers. Pure and simple. If we can do that, I believe we can play with any team in the league. Eliminate turnovers, and the rest will be easier to fix."

• You had to know this was coming. Aaron Rodgers. He is throwing 51% this year with 7 Touchdowns and 32 INT. That's almost 5x more INT than TD. That is also more INT than he has thrown in the previous 4 years COMBINED. The most he had ever thrown in a season up until this point was 13 back in 2008. What issues is Aaron having this year? Is there anything going on off the field? or could it just straight up be the coaching, seeing that the packers have declined over the past 2 years.
"You're right. I was waiting for Rodgers to come up. Aaron is an elite quarterback, but this year has been a disaster for him so far. While our system has changed very little compared to past years, Aaron honestly looks lost out there. He's trying to thread the ball into tight windows, and Secondaries acracross the league have made him pay. Off the field, if there are issyes, I'm not aware of them. This season has snow balled down hill for Aaron Rodgers, and even with all the support he gets in the locker room, his confidence is obviously shaken. We continue to back Aaron Rodgers, but at this point, only he can salvage his season, and he knows it."

• Seasons like this normally bring around big changes to a team. Tell me, who's time in Green Bay is in more jeopardy, if any? Mccarthy's or Rodgers?
"I don't think now's the time to assign positions in the line to the chopping block. But to answer your question, our coaching staff has answered the call to keep us in games in any way possible. There is still football to be played, and I'm not willing to write off Aaron Rodgers season just yet. So as we stand, we are confident in our staff and team, but it's time to step up. I don't want to make big changes, but I will if our fans aren't getting their money's worth. I promise you that."

• Eddie Lacy has really stepped up this year and is 4th in the league in rushing, and this is only his 2nd year in the NFL. The packers have had to rely on him probably a little more than they have wanted at this point in season, but with the "Rodgers Collapse 2014" it has been up to Lacy and the 5th ranked defense just to keep your head above water. How has this young star's achievements on the field helped the team to stay positive during this tumultuous time?
"Lacy is mature for his age. He's a 4 down back that lays wood on anybody that gets in his way. Obviously, with our passing game difficulties, Eddie has stepped up to the challenge and carried the offensive load. He's just a great young talent that we are proud to call a Packer. Our defense, especially our linebackers and secondary, don't get the credit they deserve. Clay Matthews is having a career year. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix is developing nicely. Hayward is having his best season yet. Ed Reed has brought some old school toughness to this unit, and it shows."

• Last question. Plain and simple. Who will win the NFC North?
"The Green Bay Packers are always my pick"

Any final words for your team, your fans, and all the media critics around the US?

"To my team: We win or we die. Nobody remembers the guys in second place. Time to step up.

To our fans: You are the best fan base in the league, and our main focus is to prove ourselves worthy of your love and loyalty.

To our critics: Keep counting us out. Go Packers!"

KeepCalmandPackeron_zps82167df6.jpg