Blitzing... Sim or Not Sim?

Blakehawk54

Contributor
Just thought I would start a little thread on this topic to see what everyone's thoughts on this are? Obviously we can probably all agree that if you are just running one blitz over and over that is probably a little cheesy.

But is there a certain percentage that we all think is too much? Like 40% 50% 20%

Does having 1 LB rushing from the 3-4 even count as a blitz?

Is sending an extra guy cheesy?

Really interested to hear what everyone thinks about all of this.

I know myself personally am struggling with what to do because of how easy the passing is this year. I was dead last vs the pass this year and number one vs the rush. Now part of my passing stats I am sure are from my emphasis on stopping the run. But in most games I had this year the cpu simply didn't try to run the ball. They would just come out and throw the ball all over me doing whatever they wanted.

Coach Dong knows that there are many times I live (and die) on defense by one simple motto:

Simple Mathmatics-

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
My thoughts are this:
  • Sending 5 or more is considered a blitz
  • Blitzing 60% of the time or less is realistic.
  • Standard playbook blitzes are fair game.
  • Manually moving defenders into "holes" to exploit the AI is cheese.
  • Having your players in movement at the snap is cheese.
The only thing I need to research more is blitzing for a 4-3. I've read where aggressive teams blitz as much as 60% but those are generally always 3-4 teams. The 4-3 is designed to generate a pass rush from the D-line and use the LBs in coverage/run support. So, 4-3 teams blitzing a lot I'm not sure of...

Blakehawk54

Contributor
most teams don't blitz out of the 4-3 unless they are having problems getting any pressure with there front 4 and even then it is usually ony one guy.