Why We Play Sim

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I'm including everyone in all of my leagues in this because it applies to all the leagues equally.

This has still kind of been on my mind since the other day. It came to light tonight again for two reasons: A. a game I played vs another user and B. a game I played vs the CPU.

In the game vs the user I lost fair and square. No excuses. He played better and had the better team. There was one thing that bothered me in the game though. About 80% of his passes were completed over the middle (ie slot receiver and TEs). That goes back to the conversation about TEs leading the team in receptions (or more specifically being the predominant receiver you throw to).

The thing is, I just lost a game to the CPU (Oregon beat UCLA). The whole game I'm losing and I'm trying to be sim. I'm trying to throw to my outside receivers. I'm trying to not use a route I've used in the last 5-6 pass plays. I'm trying to mix up the receivers I throw to. As I get late in the game and am behind 35-14 I remember something someone said to me during the TE discussion (I go to them every time I need a 1st down just like you do the corner route).

I took offense to that because I know for a fact that I don't throw the corner more than 3-4 (5 max) times per game. I specifically try not to look to that route if I can help it. But it reminded me that some guys will want to play "sim" and will try to mix it up as much as they can but not at the expense of losing the game. At least that is what I took from that comment.

That's why I keep an eye on things, make suggestions when I play you or relay concerns from other members. Its not that I'm a hag or I'm the only one that is concerned about these things. Its because I want every one competing on an even playing field. I don't want one guy feeling like he's taking losses that others users aren't because he's more committed to playing sim than others are. That's not fair to him.

Yes, its just a video game. That is true. Some of us take it more seriously than others. That's our prerogative. You don't have to agree with it. We are all entitled to play the game how we want to.

However, in these type of leagues, especially the ones that I run, I want everyone on the same page and everyone competing on an even playing field. I think that is the most fun for everyone and the way that keeps everyone engaged the longest and the most active.

I just want everyone to keep that in mind when you are playing. Do you not care what anyone else is doing as long as you get the win? Or are you committed to being as sim as you can be and earning all of your wins as fairly as possible?

Good luck to everyone the rest of the season. I'll have to work once again to try and turn these Bruins into National Champions in another season :(

Paytonno1son, Glen Cieske, woodsmall12, Shnoogans, BigTexas18, NUCMANDON, dukies2011, Merrill Coleman, Blakehawk54, Booder, TCCsuper06, Ljhrugger, luettjohann, Futuriistiics, vnardella5, Mark

NUCMANDON

Starter
What is SIM? I believe everyone would have their own opinion of what SIM is. To me it is not exploiting a weakness in the AI, and play calling like you would in a real game. I.E not going for it on fourth in unreasonable situations or calling the same 3 plays over and over again. I went 6-6 last season extreme makeover. No one likes to lose but you shouldn't be limited on trying to win either. Part of coaching is finding miss matches and using them. 1 WR with 10 catches all out route is not SIM but 1 WR with 20 catches ( 5 out, 5 in, 5 post, 5 corner) is? Play what you think is a realistic football game and should not be any problems. My opinion. Everytime I open my mouth I start something. We will see where this goes. No college or Pro QB is going to see someone open and say I already threw that route 3 times to that guy let me find someone else. 90% of the time I call plays and already know who I'm going to and what route. And call plays to mix it up accordingly but you don't always get the defense you expect.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
What is SIM? I believe everyone would have their own opinion of what SIM is. To me it is not exploiting a weakness in the AI, and play calling like you would in a real game. I.E not going for it on fourth in unreasonable situations or calling the same 3 plays over and over again. I went 6-6 last season extreme makeover. No one likes to lose but you shouldn't be limited on trying to win either. Part of coaching is finding miss matches and using them. 1 WR with 10 catches all out route is not SIM but 1 WR with 20 catches ( 5 out, 5 in, 5 post, 5 corner) is? Play what you think is a realistic football game and should not be any problems. My opinion. Everytime I open my mouth I start something. We will see where this goes. No college or Pro QB is going to see someone open and say I already threw that route 3 times to that guy let me find someone else. 90% of the time I call plays and already know who I'm going to and what route. And call plays to mix it up accordingly but you don't always get the defense you expect.

The reason why you don't throw the same route too many times is because of the AI. In real life the coach or defender will say OK he's going here in this situation, but in the game they just keep letting certain routes get open far too frequently. Also, 20 catches isn't sim in any context, even if it was 2 receptions on 10 different routes ;)