***VOTE*** Offseason Free Agency

Should we pass the following change to offseason free agency?

• YES

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I am proposing an amendment to our offseason free agency rule. The new rule would be as follows:
  • Minimum 30 point bid on ANY free agent during the offseason.
  • When bidding on a player who already has an offer, you must either match the bid (point total) or beat it by at least 5 points.
The 30 point minimum bid would create more realistic contracts for those players who only receive one low bid. If you do not feel the player is worth the 30 point minimum (its based off of initial asking price) then you can try to claim/sign them once the preseason begins.

The five point minimum increase (unless matching) prevents the one point bumps that happen so often. The minimum will hopefully decrease "sniping" late in the cycle, encourage some players to "match" an offer which would lead to the player choosing which team he likes better and allow for more strategy in creating/beating offers knowing anyone else has to match or beat it by at least 5 points.

I have tested this in a solo franchise vs the CPU and feel the minimum offer and increase fits in more realistically with real life free agency.

This rule amendment will ratify with a 65% (19 votes) approval.

dspbuckle, BigTexas18, Paytonno1son, blahblahyea7, Burns, Danperez, woodsmall12, Duv49ers, Jay2149, Wolfmode88, Tsmith2211, LostsniperLV, Ercolenose, firedup24, Outlawiskrazy, JNYHART, Omletnator13, Youngfuture, WKXT85, Cgabriel0030, pack1797, coachsmith1993, JKnight81, knwilliams86, Millionairemax, AngelSuarez, wyrmreaver

Last edited:

Omletnator13

All-Star
majesty95 ia 30 points the lowest you'd be willing to go or is there an example you can give on the lower level guys contract wise? 30 points feels high but I haven't done an offseason in awhile so I can't gauge it

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Those are rough estimates but it reflects the player's actual demands. The higher they were to start with, the higher that 30 points will be which, to me, makes it more realistic vs offering someone who wanted $5M the minimum.

wyrmreaver

All-Star
How about 30 point minimum for any bid of over 1 year? If nobody bids on a player I don't see why 1 used couldn't offer a 1 year deal at league minimum. I certainly think we should limit the ability to lock that same player down for a multi year deal. Just my .02

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
How about 30 point minimum for any bid of over 1 year? If nobody bids on a player I don't see why 1 used couldn't offer a 1 year deal at league minimum. I certainly think we should limit the ability to lock that same player down for a multi year deal. Just my .02

The 30 points is usually a one year deal. Without it you could offer a guy asking for $5M/yr a minimum contact and sign him. Whereas once you reach the preseason he would probably want like $1.5-2M. It's extremely rare that a guy who thinks he's worth $5M taking the minimum so this prevents that. It's also the least complicated way to go about it. Lol

Sir_Red

Contributor
Based on what I saw in madden 18, the players in free agency seem to ask for a realistic amount of money as their bottom line on their contract so unless you still find it necessary, I think this rule is probably unnecessary majesty95

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Based on what I saw in madden 18, the players in free agency seem to ask for a realistic amount of money as their bottom line on their contract so unless you still find it necessary, I think this rule is probably unnecessary majesty95

Yeah we've talked about it offline. We'll decide before we get started but you're probably right