VIP League Direction

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I wanted to give everyone an idea of some of the things that we have talked about behind the scenes as far as the direction of the league. Feel free to comment with any ideas that you have. Please keep it specific to the overall view of the league though. This is only being kept behind the scenes as to not give away our ideas to other leagues.

As most of you know, my view for PX1 over the years was to create leagues unlike anything anyone has ever done before. We started that with the VIP RedZone broadcasts, live UFC fight cards and then the live-play-by-play earlier this year. The new magazine is an extension of that.

The reasons behind this are two-fold: A. The better run our leagues are and the more fun that they are, the higher quality users we can attract. B. The more attractive our leagues are and the more unique and fun things that we do, the more likelihood that we have fans and followers outside of just league members.

The second part is very interesting to me and one I would really like us to explore as much as we can. I came up with the idea of the live UFC events and the league RedZone channel after researching some statistics on Twitch. There 16 million unique visitors to Twitch every month. The average Twitch user spends more than 10 hours per week on the site and 58% of users are on at least 20 hours per week.

I thought that this created a unique opportunity for leagues like ours. We've all seen the DOTA and CounterStrike tournaments that attract hundreds of thousands of viewers. But there is really nothing like that for sports games. I thought that by creating unique content (like RedZone, play-by-play and live UFC events) that we could tap into that huge market. Nobody has really tried it with sports leagues and I wanted to be the first.

We succeeded in many ways already. Our first RedZone broadcast had over 200 viewers with no advertising. One of my UFC streams attracted over 90 viewers. We've also seen devs at EA tune in for our live play-by-play and Tweet about how awesome they were. League's like the MBL have even copied and expanded on our model.

Why is this important to you and why should you care? Realistically, some may not. I'm sure we have guys in here that just like to play in a cheese free league with other mature users. That's great. If that's the most we ever are, we're still far better than most leagues out there. However, the possibilities are endless.

My vision when we first started down this path was to tap into that Twitch viewer-base. If you get enough concurrent viewers on Twitch, you can become a twitch partner. Becoming a partner allows you to do things like run ads and have subscribers. Basically, it allows you to generate revenue. In a league like this, that creates lots of possibilities.
  • Better awards for Super Bowl winners
  • Possibility of awards for Conference and Division Champions.
  • Possibility of awards for league award winners
  • Profit sharing with league members
What I really saw, and still think is possible for the right league, is a league with a fan base. A league where people follow the players and teams and owners. A league where people tune in just to watch us play our games. 300,000 viewers per week used to tune in to ESPN each week and watch the Madden Nation tournament show. That was pre-recorded, lightly regulated and heavily edited. How many people would tune in for the right group of users putting on competitive games, playing what looks like real NFL football with a high quality broadcast?

Food for thought. Seeing the MB: (Madden Bomber League) run with some of our ideas has ignited the competitive spirit in me. However, like I said when I cam back, we're only going where y'all want to take us. If y'all just want to be the most realistic sim community every, that's fine. If y'all want to grow this thing to a point where we have followers and fans and generate income and maybe get picked up by a TV station, that's cool too. I'm down for either challenge. I just wanted to put it out there give y'all the opportunity to decide. Whichever route we take, its going to be each of you and the new guys we decide to bring along with us that takes us there.

dspbuckle, Luis3250, BigTexas18, Gubber227, Blackhawk375, georgiafan, pack1797, Glen Cieske, Imperfect611, rkjones217, oBUCKNUTo, Paytonno1son, Tigers20, Studley021, Jukemwr21, blahblahyea7

Luis3250

All-Star
I think this would be awesome. I've had guys tune in to my MLB the show games on twitch and ask about the px1 site. I told them about our leagues, and some have looked at the site. I'm hoping to reach more people, and actually have them sign up.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
woodsmall12 had some ideas about content today. Would love to see more ideas of things that we can do it immerse everyone more into the leagues and give everyone more stuff to enjoy in between games...

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Luis3250 had the idea of doing a weekly Top 10 plays or something like that. It wouldn't be all that difficult for the rest of the users if one or a coupe of people wanted to do the videos. All the users would have to do is post the link to the game on their Twitch in a designated thread with where they key play(s) were. That would be kind of fun.

Burns

Hall of Famer
Luis3250 had the idea of doing a weekly Top 10 plays or something like that. It wouldn't be all that difficult for the rest of the users if one or a coupe of people wanted to do the videos. All the users would have to do is post the link to the game on their Twitch in a designated thread with where they key play(s) were. That would be kind of fun.

I think this is a great idea. Definitely wouldn't be all that hard to throw together

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Gubber227 and I had discussed a few guys in each conference contributing to a conference blog. Maybe every week a different user writes a recap of the big games and major story lines from their conference?

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I just look at the guys who left and ask myself what can we do to prevent that? Guys don't leave if they feel like they are going to miss out on something if they leave. We want to go bell to bell with nobody talking breaks next year. Nobody leaving for other games or whatever. I want to figure out can we do to make this an an immersive experience as possible. I know woodsmall12 mentioned all of the Twitter activity has got him interested in what's going on.

I not only want guys in the league thinking that leaving is the most ludicrous idea they have ever heard of, I also want guys lined up out the door to be a part of what we are doing. So what is something that each person is good and will enojy that they can contribute to that? Maybe its Twitter, maybe its writing articles and stories, maybe its making videos. I just want to get as many ideas out there as possible and so guys can get some ideas and start working on them for this upcoming season. :D

Last edited:

georgiafan

Hall of Famer
I loved the highlight clips and I always save my plays and upload them to youtube anyway. People started getting in the picture saving habit mid season last year after we came out with the magazine. There is no excuse for people to take 2 min and save 1 highlight clip per game. Its very easy to do

BigTexas18

Hall of Famer
Garden season will be winding down soon and I'll probably have a little more stress free time.

Especially once M17 hits garden will be out of season. I'll probably be able to go back and start chopping up videos again.