Vikings vs Rams Week 9: Post Game Press Conference

moniqx4

Starter
Q: Close game lost by 1 point, some feel play-calling was too conservative. Especially when you had a chance to go for 2. Why not go for 2 so you wouldn't be in the situation of the Rams only needing a TD to win instead of tie up game?

Coach: To be honest I felt our defense was playing well enough in that we'd get another chance to score , which they did. We had plenty of time to move the ball back down the field to at least score a field goal and the offense stalled out. Their defense made some key stops.

Q: The losses are stacking up, and at mid season. Each week you guys still appear to be trying to figure it out. When are you going to let it all hang out and be more aggressive?

Coach: We are trying to balance smart play with our skill set. Letting it all "hang out" as you put it can get you in trouble and we've seen that in the past with turnovers. I do believe we are almost there, we just need to keep our confidence up and get everyone to make those crucial plays in clutch situations.

Q: Most can agree, the play on both sides of the ball has improved, but still saw a number of mistakes and missed opportunities. Like Patterson fumbling on the punt return, which gave them great field position to make a score. Another fumble in which luckily Patterson recovered and was able to score to make up for his previous fumble. Rudolph catching a big catch 1 yard out to the end of half and not getting in to score and taking a field goal instead. On the defense on the last drive the Rams, a few dropped balls that could of easily been pick 6s. Is this just all coincidence, or is something else the issue here?

Coach: Yes, I'm very aware of the missed opportunities and mistakes on offense and defense. Each weak we review and those areas are worked on and addressed. In some games, excuse the expression, "sh*t" happens. yeah I would of like to have seen Rudolph get in endzone and he was as much as disappointed in not getting it as we were, but he did get us in a position to score something with only seconds left in the half. Give their defense credit in being able to stop him from getting in. Rhodes and Smith were being aggressive in at disrupting those catches, I prefer they at least swat it away and if they can catch it great, put if they just go for a pick, and miss it, those are big plays on the other side. We need to close the deal sooner so we're not looking for these last ditch efforts to make plays.

Q: Wright came up with that big play on the 77 yard TD strike, looked like we was beating his man for much of the game, why not take more advantage of that mismatch ?

Coach: Well, when your out there, you have to take what the defense gives you, just because he can get free, doesn't mean Bridgewater is in a position to get the ball to him. Once again, well review the tape and make adjustments where needed.

Q: Once again it looks like Adrian Peterson was a non-factor, what do you attribute that to ?

Coach:
We'll review the tapes, see what happened there. It definitely was not the performance we would of like to have seen. However, we are aware teams focus in on him more than any part of our offense, so we need to also adjust our offense to accommodate and sometimes that means not running as much as we like to. Rams did a good job of containing him.

Q: Next week you're going against the Raiders, another team in the same situation with their record. Are we going to see more of the same, or any surprises you have for the fans?

Coach: Like I have said many times, we don't base game plan on another team' records. We will continue to improve and those improvements will pay off with a W in the win column.