Vikings/Chiefs trade proposal DENIED

wyrmreaver

All-Star
I think it looks pretty even, both guys on their last year. Barr is a big time talent, but he'll need a franchise tag.

I approve

firedup24

All-Star
Anytime I am looking at trades, I always ask one question first. Does the trade help both teams? In this one, I can easily see where it helps Minnesota. They are actually getting something out of Barr who they would eventually lose to free agency anyways. In this, they get a 3rd round pick and a solid center that would be easier and cheaper to work out a deal this off-season. No-brainer from this side of the deal.

From the Chiefs side, it's not so simple. They are giving up their starting center and a 3rd round pick for a possible partial season rental. With only 19 mil cap space, I don't see why the Chiefs would want this deal. Franchise tag for Barr will probably be around 15 mil which would eat up 75% of the team's cap space.

With all that said, I may be missing something. I just would like for WKXT85 to tell his side of the story and why this trade is good for him and then I will make my ruling.

WKXT85

Starter
In making the move to a 4-3, there needs to be some kind of change, particularly based on some of the OLB play in recent weeks. Right now both Dee Ford and Justin Houston are at OLBs, which isn't a fit for them in a 4-3, Barr eliminates at least concern on one side of the defense or a year (2 if he's tagged or more if he can be signed long term), allowing either one to move down into the DE rotation and play a better scheme fit. Billy Price was drafted in the 2nd round, thus he gets thrown into the fire and gets some much needed experience a year sooner (which in my mind helps me in the long run). The cap space should expand considering what Alex Smith is chewing up in cap space (in the ballpark of about $15 mil) and he's due for free agency this year (not coming back). Dee Ford is also on the final year of his contract (likely to be let go into free agency). Barr essentially is a better scheme fit and helps the transition to a 4-3 defense get expedited, and is a potential long term mainstay on this defense if I play my cards right.

firedup24

All-Star
Thank you for taking time to give me a description of your plan. With the cap money you'll have that I didn't see, I think it's fine now. And it sounds like you have thought it out and have a plan in place so I will say yes.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
I'm going to say no because of the unpredictability of Barr's contract situation. Even without Smith, $30M in cap space isn't a lot, especially if $10-15M is going to Barr. I may consider it without the 3rd but I can't help but feel KC is going to get hosed with his contract.

pack1797

Staff member
I have to vote no here. I don't think the Chiefs are getting enough value for a starting center and a 3rd round pick.