TWINS - BREWERS TRADE '99 - APPROVED

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
The Twins are looking for a big hitter in the middle of their lineup and have an excess of quality pitching prospects that the will not have room for on their Major League roster. The Brewers have not been competing and are looking for a chance to reshape their minor league system by trading away a valuable asset.

Financials: The Brewers take on $1M in salary but have $7M in budget space

TWINS TRADE

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-42-28.jpg

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-42-37.jpg

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-42-44.jpg

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-42-52.jpg

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-43-29.jpg

BREWERS TRADE

px1_league_1999-06-14_14-42-18.jpg

clutchology101 Kobie RussellMania

I'm outvoted here, but this trade makes no sense to me. Young rebuilding team finds a star, but trades him 2 years later for guys who will never hit 2.0 WAR in a season. I'm not even sure who in that group becomes a 3 starter considering they're ~23 and in lower levels. I think half the league would offer more for Berkman if we knew he was available. There are not many 4* hitters out there, let alone 5+ WAR guys like Berkman. I don't think any of these prospects are even top 100. Trade seems super one sided as Berkman should be one of the most valuable players in the league being 23 w/plenty of control.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, first off, to say it doesn’t make sense is a little upsetting. Yes, he is a young star but he’s on a team that’s looking at a lotto pick for the 4th straight season. Sure, someone could have offered more “if they knew he was available”. I asked. I’m not sure that should be an indictment on me.

As far as your WAR analogy, which is not an end all be all BTW, Hughes had the exact same WAR in 97 and is projecting the same 5 WAR as him this season. Yes it’s in MiL but I think that dude is going to be a stud. He gave me pause on whether I wanted to give up that much for a DH/1B.

Kris Wilson has been a 2 WAR player at every level of the minors and is projecting 6 WAR this season. I agree he’s unlikely to be a star but he could very well be a solid starter. Same thing with Restovich. Not likely to be a star but 2+ WAR at every level and projecting 5+ and 40+ HR at AAA. Is he going to be that much worse one level up?

Again, I’m fine if you think someone else may have given more but to insinuate this makes no sense like David has no clue what he’s doing or I’m a snake looking to screw someone over is cause for pause.

Without my approval, the trade is going through regardless. I just don't see any of these guys making an impact at the major league level. When your trade a star for pieces, the pieces should be worth more as a whole since you are partitioning talent. Only 25 spots on a roster. I'm not insisting anything against either of you, but we can see the true talent numbers with no scouting fuzz for each player and none of them look like they will transfer at the next level.

majesty95

Admin
Staff member
Well, to be fair, the ratings are a 1-5 scale so there is fog of war. Unless the star levels mean more than I think they do i don’t believe it’s a terrible deal. I’d challenge you to go look at a real life trade where we don’t have ratings and find s deal significantly better.